Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 13,196 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

We're relocating to the Fruit Cove/St. Johns area soon and hope you all can help with a few questions:

1. My Mom will be with us for a while so - Any info on women's groups/activities to suggest? She loves faith based/church activities (non-denomitional Christian/evangelical), loves to go walking, talk about Grandkids, and although she knows English well - a connection to the Latin/Hispanic community would really be an added plus!

2. Ideas on where to post and advertise openings for a LICENSED & REGISTERED before/after school home daycare? I can take up to 8 school aged children once the license is approved by FL and I'd like to find those parents who really have a need for someone reliable, trustworthy and with extended hours. I'm a stay at home Mom now - who was a working professional before - so I know the challenges with that. Any community websites or contacts to inform first? I know Craigslist is an option but some other free advertising/bulletin avenues (with less spam/shadiness) would be great as well.

3. Gymnastics - We have 2 preteen girls looking to start gymnastics in the fall - any suggestions on reputable centers would be a help!

4. Swiss Cove Christian Church - We're interested in attending this church. Anyone out there who's gone and can give feedback or offer other small, family oriented Christian churches in the area with good youth programs?

5. Any dog parks in the close vicinity?

6. Reputable pediatrician - need male and female. Looking for someone who really listens to the parent and child and takes their time getting to know the patient. If you know of a great one, please let us know!

Thanks everyone!!!!
Appreciate the feedback!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 02:13 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
St. Johns County (where Fruit Cove is located) has a bunch of rules about home day care:

"May I take care of children in my home?

A family day care, which limits the number of children to those of two (2) unrelated families, (defined by F.S.) four (4) up to twelve (12) months of age; three (3) up to twelve (12) months and others up to maximum six (6); maximum six (6) older than twelve (12) months, maximum ten (10), with five (5) pre-school and of those two (2) under twelve (12) months."

You apparently also need a special use permit:

"What is a special use permit?

A use described by the Land Development Code that requires approval by the Planning and Zoning Agency in a public hearing. Some examples are: a mobile home in a residential district, animal boarding, kennels, day care in a residential district, borrow pits in open rural, churches in residential district, special care housing, etc."

I would definitely talk with county zoning officials before you start advertising/open for business.

Also - check if there are any rules in your subdivision about operating businesses. I know this activity wouldn't be allowed where I live. Robyn

Old 03-31-2010, 04:52 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
My son has gone to Swiss Cove Christian for a couple of their youth group activities and had a great time. Not sure how big it is, but the leaders were very enthusiastic.
Welcome to Swiss Cove Christian Church! - Swiss Cove Christian Church - Real. Relevant. Relational.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:29 AM

Thank you for the info regarding the restrictions, permits, and church. I will definitely look into those. Any other info on physicians and senior activities/groups is appreciated.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:36 PM

Would Baptist work?

Multi-Lingual Celebration

I think the largest number of churches with Spanish services in St. Johns County is in SW St. Johns County - around Hastings/Spuds/other rural areas. Most of the congregants are farm workers. These aren't people your mom would probably become friends with - but they might present opportunities to do some community work. Best way to find the places is to drive on SR 207 from I-95 to Palakta - look for churches - tiendas - etc. - and chat with people. Sometimes there's no substitute for a little legwork. One possibility is just looking for Spanish grocery stores in the greater JAX area (we have a a fair number) - and talking with the people who own them or work there. What country is your mom from?

A family that used to work for me is from Peru - but they're Catholic. If Catholic works - I can call them and see what they suggest.

I personally am Jewish - and know that there are plenty of volunteer opportunities at the River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged on Old St. Augustine Road. About 1/3 of the residents aren't Jewish - and a fair amount of the staff is bilingual (English/Spanish - and English/other languages).

Don't know anything about pediatricians. Robyn

Old 04-05-2010, 01:58 PM

Thanks Robyn. I think conversing with the local spanish grocers/store owner is a great place to start. She is from Puerto Rico - has a graduate degree in teaching and loves to converse, take part in literary events/groups and read. Next time I drive through I will take a closer look at the stores around.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:15 PM

35 posts, read 93,607 times
My kids see Dr. Victor Luz. He is on Racetrack Road behind the old Applebees. He is a great ped - can't say enough good things about him.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:49 AM

114 posts, read 327,966 times
We use Dr. Luz and Dr. Garcia as well and we love them!

Old 04-15-2010, 03:45 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr_luvmyfam View Post

5. Any dog parks in the close vicinity?
Here's the list of dog parks. Most are fee-based, but Treaty Park in St. Augustine, Davis Park in Palm Valley, and Wingate Park are free. Not listed is a new park very close to Fruit Cove, Veterans Park (off Race Track). It's also free. Of these four, Paws Park at Wingate Park by Jax Beach is our favorite, and that would be perhaps 30 minutes away from Fruit Cove.
Jacksonville Area Dog Parks (http://www.homewithpetsflorida.com/jacksonville_area_dog_parks.htm - broken link)

Dogs are also welcome at the beach. Certain restrictions apply in some cases.
Jacksonville Humane Society: Dog Parks and Beaches (http://www.jaxhumane.org/services-and-resources/dog-parks/ - broken link)

Old 04-15-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr_luvmyfam View Post
Thanks Robyn. I think conversing with the local spanish grocers/store owner is a great place to start. She is from Puerto Rico - has a graduate degree in teaching and loves to converse, take part in literary events/groups and read. Next time I drive through I will take a closer look at the stores around.
You should probably look up the stores in the phone book/on line - because they're scattered all through Jacksonville - mostly in strip malls (and it's frequently hard to see what's in a strip mall from the road). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville