Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 12:05 PM

7 posts, read 16,099 times

Advertisements

I currently considering moving to either Florida, North Carolina or South Carolina. I would like to know everyone's opinion about Jacksonville Florida or any other nice city in Florida. I have been to Jacksonville but it was during spring break while I was in college. I had a very good time, but I am not sure if I got a good feel for the city. How is the diversity of the city? I am an African-American female. Yes, I do want to know about the African-American community, but when I say diversity I mean diversity. Not just black and white but everything else. What is the social scene like? What is there to do? Also if anyone has pics or links for pics of Jacksonville it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 12:34 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,374,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chtx08 View Post
I currently considering moving to either Florida, North Carolina or South Carolina. I would like to know everyone's opinion about Jacksonville Florida or any other nice city in Florida. I have been to Jacksonville but it was during spring break while I was in college. I had a very good time, but I am not sure if I got a good feel for the city. How is the diversity of the city? I am an African-American female. Yes, I do want to know about the African-American community, but when I say diversity I mean diversity. Not just black and white but everything else. What is the social scene like? What is there to do? Also if anyone has pics or links for pics of Jacksonville it would be greatly appreciated.
If this is an accurate description of you - "i am a 33 year old educated african american woman who lives in northeast alabama" - forget about Florida and Jacksonville and North Carolina and South Carolina and go to Atlanta. As far as I'm concerned - Atlanta is *the* center of middle and upper class African-American society in the US - you'll find the best employment and social opportunities there. If I were you - that's where I would be. Robyn

Old 04-25-2010, 01:29 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,714,960 times
I think the topic was "beach cities" otherwise it shouldn't be part of the topic. If it is the overriding reason to move out of AL why would you move to ATL? There might be other legit reasons not to consider Fl or NC or SC. If a beach city is not a priority I would more suggest an industrial city like Ch or LA or NYC that would cover all the other bases.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:22 PM

I believe the lady is currently in Houston (my quote was from a message she posted before she moved from Alabama to Houston). I have a sense that her primary interest is to find a place where she will enjoy life - not becoming a surfer. She can correct me if I'm wrong. Robyn

Old 04-26-2010, 06:20 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,236,991 times
Atlantic Beach is the best beach community in Jacksonville. It's the northern most beach in Jax. Most people really like it. You won't find much diversity there, however.

As far as true diversity (race, income, gender, sexual orientation, age, interests, etc) the most diverse neighborhoods, by far, are those surronding Downtown. Specifically Riverside & Springfield. You won't find a more interesing mix of those catagories liosted above than in those two neighborhoods.

Social scene and things to do: depends on what you like to do. Jax has most everything that larger cities have, just no as much.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:50 AM

622 posts, read 1,657,739 times
Check out Fort Lauderdale! Here's a post I made the other day..

//www.city-data.com/forum/13883830-post10.html

Old 04-26-2010, 11:15 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,236,991 times
atlantic beach is nice for sure but toher parts of the beach are nice too. get a realtor that knows the area your looking in. if youre looking at the beaches, use one out there. if youre looking at downtown, use one that knows tha area.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:02 PM

7 posts, read 16,099 times
I am sorry it took me so long to reply to your comments. In response to Robyn, I am looking for a community close to the beach. I am originally from Alabama but I currently live in Houston, TX. I am not considering Atlanta because I feel that the job market is too saturated and as far as the social sceen the ratio of women to men is way too high. Also Atlanta is surronded by mountains and the area I came from is in the Appilachian Mountains and I am definantly looking for something different. As far as diversity, I am looking for a significant AA community but I am looking for all kinds of diversity. Anyway thanks for your comments and thanks for the link Alicia Maria.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chtx08 View Post
I am sorry it took me so long to reply to your comments. In response to Robyn, I am looking for a community close to the beach. I am originally from Alabama but I currently live in Houston, TX. I am not considering Atlanta because I feel that the job market is too saturated and as far as the social sceen the ratio of women to men is way too high. Also Atlanta is surronded by mountains and the area I came from is in the Appilachian Mountains and I am definantly looking for something different. As far as diversity, I am looking for a significant AA community but I am looking for all kinds of diversity. Anyway thanks for your comments and thanks for the link Alicia Maria.
Don't know how bad the job market is in Atlanta - but it isn't swell here - and the pay scale is a lot lower.

As for guys - I have a niece who lives in Atlanta - and it took her a *looong* time to find a straight guy (there are a lot of gay guys in Atlanta) and get married. Even then - he was more than a decade older than she was - and no great catch IMO.

Don't know what you do for living - but perhaps your best bet is to go wherever the best job opportunities are in your field (no matter where that might take you). Robyn

Old 05-09-2010, 07:27 PM

118 posts, read 339,596 times
If I was looking for a "beach" atmosphere with diversity, I would look a little further south. Delray Beach, Florida is an example of a true beach town with a significant American American community with access to jobs in Fort Lauderdale. The ocean in Delray Beach has aqua blue clear water as opposed the brownish water we have in N.E. Florida

//www.city-data.com/city/Delray-Beach-Florida.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville