Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 03:45 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I lived there longer that you Robyn. Fact.
I lived in Miami for 20+ years - but left 15+ years ago. Although I have my opinions about Miami - and get back there about once a year for business - I don't think I have a say in where the city is going - because I don't have any skin in the game anymore (I don't pay taxes and I can't vote). Except as a resident of the state of Florida (and you don't even have that since you're in Georgia).

I do think people have a right to think or say just about anything they want - but when it comes to getting things done (or not done - or done in a particular way) - it's the people who are in a position to get them done who matter. And - in terms of getting things done - talk is cheap and everything else isn't. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 04:02 PM

P.S. I do have some skin in the game when it comes to JAX although I don't live there. Because I own a few flavors of JAX municipal bonds. JAX GO's - Stadium Revenue Bonds - and JEA bonds. I have put my money in the future of JAX (which I would never do in MIA). I have looked at the candidates from the POV of a bondholder. I think Hogan might try to lower taxes and services. And Brown might try to raise both. Overall - the election is kind of a wash for someone in my position.

But the action in my bonds tells me the City is in financial trouble (it's not in awful shape - but it's now in swell shape either). I have JAX bonds that have 13 years left to maturity with a 5 1/4% coupon. They could have been called/prerefunded years ago but haven't been. That tells me that the muni market is running out of patience with the City. Robyn

Old 05-09-2011, 09:03 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I lived in Miami for 20+ years - but left 15+ years ago. Although I have my opinions about Miami - and get back there about once a year for business - I don't think I have a say in where the city is going - because I don't have any skin in the game anymore (I don't pay taxes and I can't vote). Except as a resident of the state of Florida (and you don't even have that since you're in Georgia).

I do think people have a right to think or say just about anything they want - but when it comes to getting things done (or not done - or done in a particular way) - it's the people who are in a position to get them done who matter. And - in terms of getting things done - talk is cheap and everything else isn't. Robyn
lol ok Robyn.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:50 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
Watching Hogan's new ad, it looks like he's given up on the core neighborhoods.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:32 PM

Don't think he would have gotten many votes there anyway. I think part of the key to winning this election will be the candidates getting out the people who are in favor of them. People who don't vote don't matter - no matter how much they like you. I've read that early voting has been pretty heavy. Robyn

Old 05-10-2011, 07:55 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
This guy will put the final nail in downtown's coffin. You wait:

YouTube - Mike Hogan's Views on Downtown Jacksonville.avi

Old 05-11-2011, 06:32 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,277,446 times
He decided to make Downtown a wedge issue, instead of something to rally behind.

Orlando's mayor ran on a better Downtown, and they've reaped huge benefits because of it.

His postion doesn't make financial sense (or cents)

Sort of ironic, as Hogan uses Downtown on his signs and ads.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:04 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
He decided to make Downtown a wedge issue, instead of something to rally behind.

Orlando's mayor ran on a better Downtown, and they've reaped huge benefits because of it.

His postion doesn't make financial sense (or cents)

Sort of ironic, as Hogan uses Downtown on his signs and ads.
Because he knows his constituents are suburbanites (basically all of Jacksonville) who don't utilize any of these things downtown & probably don't understand what a vibrant downtown brings to the rest of a city. People in Jax just don't get that. I know you like to think that they do, but clearly they don't. And they're going to vote with whoever shares that same mentality & thinks that any of these things are a waste of taxpayer money.

I hope Brown wins, not cause I really like him, but just so we don't this wrecking ball in office. But I'm not holding my breathe.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
interesting...what angle is he taking in the ads??

Old 05-12-2011, 06:31 PM

What is up with that crazy email that Mike Hogan sent out to voters?? Thats Bush League right??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville