Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 03:45 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Robyn is not a resident of Duval county and can't legally vote here.....can you? Legally that is?
yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 03:52 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
OHHH thank God all those Damn libril Yankees migrated down here to the "po ol south" and saved us from our own ol wikid ways and showd us the cunsirvitiv lite. we unns wuz truely lost before dems arived. oh me oh my my po ol racist fogy pa paw id dyin what eber wil i does wit out him to lead me on de strait cunsrvitive path...waits i be knowin imma gonna become a libril somehow maybees drive a bmw and act gay....hmmm
It was bound to happen. Not matter what people try to STOP.....the only group of people that can be STOPPED is the poor and uneducated. That's the only group of people that can be STOPPED.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:01 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninclay View Post
As long as blacks vote in a 90+% bloc for a candidate because he/she is black, that day will never come.

You cannot convince me a sizeable number of whites will vote against a black because he/she is black. Yes, I'm sure there are a small (and ever diminishing number) number of whites who do, and they s#ck mightily for it.

But here's the thing: Jacksonville is a conservative city, by and large. Do we disagree on that?

So if a black conservative, or even a center-right black, ran a decent campaign, then Jax would have no problem voting for that person. Alvin Brown is proof. He didn't run as a liberal, and only time will tell as to whether or not he is one.

The reason you don't see more blacks elected in conservative cities or states isn't because of racism. It's because that when it comes to voting patterns, blacks tend to vote liberal/Democrat in large numbers. Why that is, quite frankly, isn't relevant to the overall point here and is a different topic for a different day.

Look, I live in Clay County, so I didn't have much of a horse in the race for Jax mayor. Brown ran a great campaign and Hogan ran a lousy (and detached and arrogant) campaign. Hogan reminded me of a football team that was up by 10 points at the beginning of the 4th quarter and tried running out the clock. By the time he realized that he was in trouble, it was already too late.

Brown deserved to win, period. And like the rest of you on here, I look forward to seeing what he will do for Jax. I think his business background will serve him well. I sincerely wish him the best of luck.
I'm not aware that Brown has much (if any) business background:

About Alvin

I didn't have any dog in the election fight per se - but didn't like Hogan or Brown (because of their silly "no new taxes" pledges). And - since I own JAX munis (which are currently underperforming most other bonds in my portfolio) - I will now be watching what Brown does. He's not facing a pleasant budget situation - and it remains to be seen whether he'll stick his head in the sand or deal with it. Robyn

Old 05-23-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I agree with everything said. Also I don't believe that Jacksonville will ever again be the bastion of conservative politics that it used to be. Not with all the migration that has been going on from liberal cities in the north and elsewhere. Plus all the old racist fogies are dying out.
JAX will have to be conservative - at least fiscally. Otherwise - it's going to go broke. Robyn

Old 05-23-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
It was bound to happen. Not matter what people try to STOP.....the only group of people that can be STOPPED is the poor and uneducated. That's the only group of people that can be STOPPED.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. But reading stuff in the FTU - I think there are a lot of poor uneducated black people who think that Alvin Brown can do things for them that simply aren't in the cards in terms of JAX finances. Note that I disliked Hogan because it really seemed (no hard proof) that he had made some kind of deal(s) with the public employees/unions in JAX. But if Brown hasn't made similar promises - and can save some money there - it should - no must - be used to balance the JAX budget. Uncle Sam has a printing press. Mayor Brown does not. Robyn

Old 05-23-2011, 04:43 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I'm not aware that Brown has much (if any) business background:

About Alvin

I didn't have any dog in the election fight per se - but didn't like Hogan or Brown (because of their silly "no new taxes" pledges). And - since I own JAX munis (which are currently underperforming most other bonds in my portfolio) - I will now be watching what Brown does. He's not facing a pleasant budget situation - and it remains to be seen whether he'll stick his head in the sand or deal with it. Robyn
In our politics today "no new taxes" is a mantra that all politicians running for office must keep repeating if they want to be elected. If you insist on voting only for a candidate who promises "new taxes" you will be riding a losing horse. Brown has a tough row to hoe and I for one would not be disappointed if he goes back on his pledge. But only after he shows that he is fiscally prudent and goes after every single means to eliminate waste and control spending.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:53 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
You know I find it amazing that I am in agreement with FlyiMetro ......
Until we can educate the poor and disadvantage fully, things will never changed. My major concern in this area, is the fact that rick Scott seems hellbent on cutting funding for schools and some much needed mental services.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
You know I find it amazing that I am in agreement with FlyiMetro ......
Until we can educate the poor and disadvantage fully, things will never changed. My major concern in this area, is the fact that rick Scott seems hellbent on cutting funding for schools and some much needed mental services.
You could spend $100k a year on many kids in Florida when they're in school. And it wouldn't help a bit. Because their parents are ignorant and stupid and not at all concerned with their kids succeeding in life. And this goes for white kids and black kids and hispanic kids. Robyn

Old 05-23-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
In our politics today "no new taxes" is a mantra that all politicians running for office must keep repeating if they want to be elected. If you insist on voting only for a candidate who promises "new taxes" you will be riding a losing horse. Brown has a tough row to hoe and I for one would not be disappointed if he goes back on his pledge. But only after he shows that he is fiscally prudent and goes after every single means to eliminate waste and control spending.
I'm not in the "no new taxes" camp - but I'd like to vote for someone who has a coherent plan in terms in cutting spending and raising taxes so we don't wind up drowning in debt. Not too many politicians make it through this simple filter IMO. Robyn

Old 06-05-2011, 08:08 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
Whew! We really dodged a bullet when Hogan narrowly lost to Brown:

"1) When did the loss hit you and how are you coping?

From a purely factual point of view we lost the Mayor's race because Mr. Brown got more votes than we did. More importantly in Romans 13:1 God's word says:

No one rules unless God has given him the power to rule, and no one rules now without that power from God ~ which means to me that God chooses our rulers."

WOW. Nothing like having a religious zealot guiding your city into the future. Thank goodness he lost. Scary.

Full very wierd answers to the T-U's questions here:

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog...ends-newspaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville