Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:52 AM

549 posts, read 2,205,372 times

Advertisements

I like Glorious Johnson, and would love to see her take the office of mayor. Through her years as city council at large, she's one of the few who actually work for the citizens of this city, she has always stepped up to the plate when called upon.

She's for preservation, and has been working with the residents of Springfield on this issue.
She's for less government, which includes cuts in wasteful spending and programs that are designed to line the pockets of the friends/family of the current administration
She is opposed to the 3 taxes, and has made every attempt to repeal them and still believes there are ways to repeal them with directing money from un-needed spending elsewhere in the budget.
She isn't part of the system that has held this city hostage, and has been working to change that.
She's worked on bringing strength to the ethics committee, and has proved her hard work on that.
She's actually one of the few who does what she says she will, who is honest and dedicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 01:21 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,031 times
Im still curious what are the main issues on everyones minds. I know jobs is probably the main one right now, but moves can be made to make Jax a great place in 2040.....this recent economy problems have showed me the future is important.

So for me its

International Logistics

Local Mass Transit

Moving from 3rd to 2nd or 1st in Naval Personel

Less sprawl more Northbank & Southbank development

New Convetion Center

I feel these things could make Jacksonville a better city.

So these are topics Id be focused on. Jobs, trade, population growth, transit, cenvention & urban development.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:02 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,276,703 times
My issues?

In no particular order:

What's you plan for Downtown?

It's untapped taxable revenue that COJ literally cannot live without going forward, so how do you plan to encourage it's potential?

What's your plan for Jax Port?

It's a big time economic engine that shouldn't be put on the back burner.

What's your plan for mass transit?

Jax is waaaaay behind it's peers, and countless studies show that's a must for any city wanting to keep/attract young professionals/successfull companies. The 2030 Mobility Plan is ready, how will you support it?

What's your plan for the St. Johns River?

It's the city's most valuable assest in 100 different ways, and it's dying a slow death. What's your plan to save it from environmental hazards and syphoning?

What's your plan for the school system?

No, you don't have direct power over the schools and no, the schools aren't as bad as most people think, but they are (overall) still below average. How can you work with the school board and super intendent to improve them?

What's your plan for Northwest Jacksonville?

It's generally a crime ridden POS part of town that generates 75% of the serious crime in Jacksonville. How do you address that?

Old 11-09-2010, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,663 times
Vote NO on Brenda White. She does not practice what she preaches on her campaign site.
Reduce crime? What a joke!!! The only thing she does is support it and look the other way

Old 11-11-2010, 02:55 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,276,703 times
i havent seen many candiates but im looking forward to learning

Old 11-11-2010, 04:26 PM

725 posts, read 2,570,932 times
I'm voting for Rick Mullaney. He's a nice guy,a relative of my neighbor. He spoke at our neighborhood, had good ideas, and lastly because he sits a couple rows down from us at the Jaguars games. He's a fan.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
FYI: Jacksonville mayoral candidates speak out at UNF forum | jacksonville.com

The candidates vying to become Jacksonville's next mayor got an early chance to size up some of the competition during a forum Tuesday at the University of North Florida.

Matt Corrigan, director of UNF's department of political science and public administration, said all 15 people who have qualified to run for mayor were invited to attend. Only six participated: Republicans Jim Bailey, Audrey Moran and Rick Mullaney; Democrats Warren Lee and Christopher Hills; and write-in candidate Andy Bryan.

Among the candidates not in attendance: Alvin Brown, Mike Hogan and Glorious Johnson.

The candidates were asked about the city's port, improving downtown, capital spending, economic development and taxation. Many times, their answers referenced recent fee and tax rate increases.

(full article at link above)
Interesting. I hope the next mayor can get some of these things done.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:47 AM

31 posts, read 86,302 times
Dont live in Jax anymore so not voting but plenty of family and friends there so I have plenty of interest in Jax.

Main issue is Jobs. Not more just over minimum wage walmart warehouse jobs. Tech sector and major corporations with livable wages and benefits.

One major issue I am dead set against is wasting any more money on the ever famous from nowhere to nowhere Jax Skyway. Develop businesses and venues downtown first then talk about a mass transit system to move between them. Otherwise it will just be From nowhere to nowhere *now with even more nowhere destinations* Any candidate considering dredging up that sad joke of a project automatically doesn't get my consideration.

The Hogans have been family friends since the Cowford days. Though I wouldn't vote for him solely for that reason. He has my ear.. Problem is Mike Hogan isn't saying anything yet. I'm waiting for him to take a stand on.. well... SOMETHING!

One thing that has made the race hard to follow from abroad is none of these candidates know how to work the internet. I mean is this Jax or Kandahar get with the times! I wouldn't vote for anyone in this millennium that couldn't run a proper internet campaign.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
What's your plan for Northwest Jacksonville?

It's generally a crime ridden POS part of town that generates 75% of the serious crime in Jacksonville. How do you address that?
Thats a little harsh. Northside & Westside is 2/3rd of the entire city. Why would you consider that whole put of Jax a POS? thats quite interesting.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyshark75 View Post
Dont live in Jax anymore so not voting but plenty of family and friends there so I have plenty of interest in Jax.

Main issue is Jobs. Not more just over minimum wage walmart warehouse jobs. Tech sector and major corporations with livable wages and benefits.

One major issue I am dead set against is wasting any more money on the ever famous from nowhere to nowhere Jax Skyway. Develop businesses and venues downtown first then talk about a mass transit system to move between them. Otherwise it will just be From nowhere to nowhere *now with even more nowhere destinations* Any candidate considering dredging up that sad joke of a project automatically doesn't get my consideration.

The Hogans have been family friends since the Cowford days. Though I wouldn't vote for him solely for that reason. He has my ear.. Problem is Mike Hogan isn't saying anything yet. I'm waiting for him to take a stand on.. well... SOMETHING!

One thing that has made the race hard to follow from abroad is none of these candidates know how to work the internet. I mean is this Jax or Kandahar get with the times! I wouldn't vote for anyone in this millennium that couldn't run a proper internet campaign.
You used to live in Jax? And the first thing you attack is the Skyway train?....hmmm thats a lil suspect, especially once I saw you only had 4 post. Your posting style is very combative. Yes....yes....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville