Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whats the richest area of Jax
Ortega 7 21.21%
Ponte Vedra 21 63.64%
Mandarin 3 9.09%
other 3 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:58 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times

Advertisements

yea...so....like I said...

$$$ per sq foot of the neighborhood? or $$$ per household?

Depends on how you meaure it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 11:00 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We'd say Ponte Vedra and Mandarin. Unless clothing and makeup are decieving, there are quite a few rich folks that go to the church we've gone to in Mandarin......only our observance.
Mandarin has some very big mansions, I see more luxury cars on San Jose than I do on Roosevelt

Old 05-05-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
I think we need a definition of "rich".
Beverly Hills California & The Hamptons New York....thats what I meant. What part of Jax is on par?

Old 05-06-2010, 08:35 AM

to those two? none.

all of the areas mentioned in the thread would be somewhat similar.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:17 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
Jacksonville's wealth is so spread out (spread thin). That is why we have a hard time attracting certain retailers such as Saks, because they need a concentration of a certain amount of wealth within a certain radius. If you look at our riverfront and our beachfront, you will certainly find what you are looking for.

Jacksonville is also known as a city where many very wealthy people from around the country hide their wealth per se, because we are a lesser known city and the wealthy areas are definitely off the beaten path. Ponte Vedra is nationally known and probably has the greatest amount of overall wealth given its size, however Ortega/Avondale probably has the most old money/high net worth wealth concentration in the city. Ortega alone has the Florida Yacht Club and Timucuana Country Club for residents and everyone there is also a member of Ponte Vedra Inn/Club and other nationally known clubs. People that live on the river in Ortega and Avondale have second/third homes at the beach (on the beach in PV or AB), in the Bahamas, in Aspen, in Cape Cod, or wherever.

Also, all one has to do is look at all the 50-100 ft. yachts (mainly Huckins) in Ortega area marinas to know people there are spending millions on boats in addition to houses.

Ponte Vedra, on the other hand, has the same level of wealth, but in a larger area. Therefore there is probably more of it. Many houses in PV are second/third homes for people in the NE or upper midwest, though, and are not permanent residences. Also some of those homes are homesteads for people who want to dump their wealth in Florida where it cannot be taken away from them, so they don't even live there.

Other wealthy areas not mentioned are San Marco/riverfront San Jose (much wealthier than Mandarin will ever be, on par with Ortega and part of the same crowd to an extent), and Amelia Island, which is the Ponte Vedra for southerners (in the way of vacationers and second/third homes). San Marco/San Jose has Epping Forest Yacht Club and San Jose CC.

Another way to measure this is to see where the kids in the neighborhoods go to school. Most kids in Ortega/Avondale/San Marco/PV go to Episcopal, Bolles, or a boarding school up north.

Finally, where can one buy many of the same brands sold at Neiman's or Saks (but not in St. Johns TC)? In some of the little stores in the Shoppes of Avondale or San Marco square or in a boutique in PV. These are all indicators of wealth.

Also, just read the Jacksonville Business Journal and see whose names are quoted. Often times they are businessmen from Ortega, San Marco, or PV, rarely somewhere else.

Hopefully this clears up the confusion, but just remember even within a place such as Ortega there are all income levels. Of course many of the homes along the river are appraised at $5M +, and some of the sections not on the river are nice, but in old Ortega and Ortega Forest there are many starter homes and even tear downs. This is part of the reason why there are 3 generation families living within the neighborhood. The middle aged can live nicely (on river or otherwise), their children can find a starter home nearby, and the grandparents can find a condo or downsized home nearby.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:49 PM

ok

Old 05-14-2010, 10:46 PM

622 posts, read 1,665,486 times
Ponte Vedra Beach, even though technically its not JAX. We live there, and when I ride my bike every evening through our neighborhood (Marsh Landing) I like to have "Alicia's luxury car count" each night.. hhaha Lots of Mercedes', BMWs and and Escalades. Mmmmmm! Once in a while you'll see the Porsche, the Bentley, or the Aston Martin. Good stuff.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:52 PM

you can find very nice cars in any neighborhood

there's a porshe, a bmw, and a nissan z parked outside my house right now. and my neighborhood is nowhere near the "richest"

Old 05-14-2010, 11:00 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
The river or the beaches. That's where the money here has always been and still is today .

Old 05-19-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
yea...so....like I said...

$$$ per sq foot of the neighborhood? or $$$ per household?

Depends on how you meaure it.
Cash per household?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: