Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 07:35 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,238,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
The unique, historic "urban core" neighborhoods of Jacksonville have begun to work together more and more on shared interests.....

One being promoting thier local, diverse, and unique businesses: GoLo

It's a on-going blog, quite trendy in fact, featuring these neighborhoods and thier one-of-a-kind businesses.

Check it out.

What’s it mean to GoLo?

When you GoLo, you're making a conscious choice to think "outside the box," avoid the malls and instead patronize the locally owned, locally operated businesses in Jacksonville's historic urban core neighborhoods. These local "Indie" stores play important roles in our communities. They help sustain appealing, compact, walkable neighborhoods, enshrine diversity and choice, and promote a vibrant local economy.

Fortunately, going Lo isn't hard. Because that's also where you'll find the city's best boutiques, restaurants and bars--not to mention communities with unique character, friendly faces and unparalleled style.

Whether it's Five Points, San Marco or Springfield, Avondale, Murray Hill or Downtown, our city's original Town Centers have stores--and stories--you won't find anywhere else. Please support your Locally Owned, Locally Operated businesses. GoLo.
More about GoLo from today's paper:

The three years since Carmen Godwin was named executive director of Riverside Avondale Preservation has been a successful time for the organization.

The Riverside Arts Market, organized by RAP, has just completed its second season under the Fuller Warren Bridge. Until it reopens in March, a farmers market will take its place under the bridge. Meanwhile, in October, the American Planning Association gave Riverside and Avondale its Great Neighborhood Designation.

Now RAP is taking the lead in organizing a new campaign in neighborhoods within the urban core. The campaign, called GoLo, is designed “to support locally owned and operated businesses.”

Although GoLo is not part of the national 3/50 movement, which encourages people to spend money in locally owned, independent stores, GoLo has a similar goal. It’s designed to help grow “a vibrant local economy while also preserving the unique character of our beautiful older neighborhoods,” Godwin said.

She got the idea while on a visit to Asheville, N.C., which had a similar campaign designed to encourage support of locally owned downtown businesses.

At the moment GoLo is still in its planning stages as representatives of groups from San Marco, Springfield, Murray Hill, downtown and Riverside and Avondale meet weekly to discuss how to implement it. So far, the GoLo initiative has a website (letsgolo.wordpress.com/ ) and a Facebook page.

Full article: http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/400799/charlie-patton/2010-12-21/one-us-riverside-avondale-preservation-chief-has-eyes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 12:21 PM

And more evidence that the era of the suburb is on it's way down, while urban living is becoming more popular.....

Here's what Generation Y doesn't want: formal living rooms, soaker bathtubs, dependence on a car.

In other words, they don't want their parents' homes.

Much of this week's National Association of Home Builders conference has dwelled on the housing needs of an aging baby boomer population. But their children actually represent an even larger demographic. An estimated 80 million people comprise the category known as "Gen Y," youth born roughly between 1980 and the early 2000s. The boomers, meanwhile, boast 76 million.

Gen Y housing preferences are the subject of at least two panels at this week's convention. A key finding: They want to walk everywhere. Surveys show that 13% carpool to work, while 7% walk, said Melina Duggal, a principal with Orlando-based real estate adviser RCLCO. A whopping 88% want to be in an urban setting, but since cities themselves can be so expensive, places with shopping, dining and transit such as Bethesda and Arlington in the Washington suburbs will do just fine.

"One-third are willing to pay for the ability to walk," Ms. Duggal said. "They don't want to be in a cookie-cutter type of development. ...The suburbs will need to evolve to be attractive to Gen Y."

Outdoor space is important-but please, just a place to put the grill and have some friends over. Lawn-mowing not desired. Amenities such as fitness centers, game rooms and party rooms are important ("Is the room big enough to host a baby shower?" a millennial might think). "Outdoor fire pits," suggested Tony Weremeichik of Canin Associates, an architecture firm in Orlando. "Consider designing outdoor spaces as if they were living rooms."

Full article here: No McMansions for Millennials - Yahoo! Real Estate

Old 01-18-2011, 01:37 PM

278 posts, read 661,166 times
Quote:
And more evidence that the era of the suburb is on it's way down, while urban living is becoming more popular.....

Here's what Generation Y doesn't want: formal living rooms, soaker bathtubs, dependence on a car.

Much of this week's National Association of Home Builders conference has dwelled on the housing needs of an aging baby boomer population. But their children actually represent an even larger demographic. An estimated 80 million people comprise the category known as "Gen Y," youth born roughly between 1980 and the early 2000s. The boomers, meanwhile, boast 76 million.

Gen Y housing preferences are the subject of at least two panels at this week's convention. A key finding: They want to walk everywhere. Surveys show that 13% carpool to work, while 7% walk, said Melina Duggal, a principal with Orlando-based real estate adviser RCLCO. A whopping 88% want to be in an urban setting, but since cities themselves can be so expensive, places with shopping, dining and transit such as Bethesda and Arlington in the Washington suburbs will do just fine.

"One-third are willing to pay for the ability to walk," Ms. Duggal said. "They don't want to be in a cookie-cutter type of development. ...The suburbs will need to evolve to be attractive to Gen Y."

Outdoor space is important-but please, just a place to put the grill and have some friends over. Lawn-mowing not desired. Amenities such as fitness centers, game rooms and party rooms are important ("Is the room big enough to host a baby shower?" a millennial might think). "Outdoor fire pits," suggested Tony Weremeichik of Canin Associates, an architecture firm in Orlando. "Consider designing outdoor spaces as if they were living rooms."
Certainly true for the younger end of Gen Y. I'm right at the tail end of the older range, though, and for my wife and I, a quiet neighborhood with a lawn and the ability to plant a garden were essential.

The one thing that I think is going to become more important even as Gen Y ages is more attention to detail in new homes being built and the inclusion of many smaller rooms versus the giant, vaulted-ceiling "great rooms" so common in homes from the past couple decades. Location will also be important, though the desire to be right up close to an urban area decreases the older you get (for most people, anyway).

(Also, based on their statistics, if 7% of people are walking to work then that leaves a whopping 93% of people still dependent on cars or other transportation.)

Old 01-18-2011, 02:07 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,476,740 times
How old is Generation Y right now?

Quote:
"A house in the suburbs is not for them," Mr. Senden said. "At least not yet."
he must be talking about those not married with kids yet. I can agree with that.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:57 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,524,110 times
Quote:
More about GoLo from today's paper:

The three years since Carmen Godwin was named executive director of Riverside Avondale Preservation has been a successful time for the organization.

The Riverside Arts Market, organized by RAP, has just completed its second season under the Fuller Warren Bridge. Until it reopens in March, a farmers market will take its place under the bridge. Meanwhile, in October, the American Planning Association gave Riverside and Avondale its Great Neighborhood Designation.

Now RAP is taking the lead in organizing a new campaign in neighborhoods within the urban core. The campaign, called GoLo, is designed “to support locally owned and operated businesses.”

Although GoLo is not part of the national 3/50 movement, which encourages people to spend money in locally owned, independent stores, GoLo has a similar goal. It’s designed to help grow “a vibrant local economy while also preserving the unique character of our beautiful older neighborhoods,” Godwin said.

She got the idea while on a visit to Asheville, N.C., which had a similar campaign designed to encourage support of locally owned downtown businesses.

At the moment GoLo is still in its planning stages as representatives of groups from San Marco, Springfield, Murray Hill, downtown and Riverside and Avondale meet weekly to discuss how to implement it. So far, the GoLo initiative has a website (letsgolo.wordpress.com/ ) and a Facebook page.

Full article: http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog...chief-has-eyes
That sounds very interesting. I wonder what local companoes would set up for this idea.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:12 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,524,110 times
Quote:

Full article here: No McMansions for Millennials - Yahoo! Real Estate
Im born in 79, I think I am under the Gen X catagory, much of this post applies to me. I do walk everywhere, I hate the auto industry & all the troubles involved with it. I have no ambition to be a home owner. Homes no longer seem like quality assets anymore. I want the less things to worry about. I just want a life where I dont have to worry about wasteful spending. My Will will be short but will have much value & things they can use. Not a home that goes up & down like wasted stock. Walking is better than driving all the time.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:03 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,692,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bativac View Post
Certainly true for the younger end of Gen Y. I'm right at the tail end of the older range, though, and for my wife and I, a quiet neighborhood with a lawn and the ability to plant a garden were essential.

The one thing that I think is going to become more important even as Gen Y ages is more attention to detail in new homes being built and the inclusion of many smaller rooms versus the giant, vaulted-ceiling "great rooms" so common in homes from the past couple decades. Location will also be important, though the desire to be right up close to an urban area decreases the older you get (for most people, anyway).

(Also, based on their statistics, if 7% of people are walking to work then that leaves a whopping 93% of people still dependent on cars or other transportation.)
I think it is also true for much of Gen X. The benefits of living in the suburbs are just not worth the hassle.
1. Most suburbs are crowded, and traffic is bad
2. gas prices are up: 20 mile commutes to work gets expensive.
3. Real estate market is unstable. this is no coicidence. see posts 1 & 2 for reference.
4. The Mcmansions were always too much. The days of excess are over. Its not practical for a middle class family (less than 4 children) to have a huge house. It is expensive, and it takes a lot of work (or money) to clean)

Old 01-21-2011, 06:13 AM

Heading in the right direction.....

Jacksonville planners eye new rules to discourage urban sprawl | Jacksonville.com Mobile Edition

Half a year from now, Jacksonville developers could operate under an entirely new set of rules when it comes to paying for transportation infrastructure around their projects.

The result, according to a range of development professionals, should be more of a focus on urban development and filling in empty spots in already built-up areas rather than sending projects out to greenfield areas.

The new rules, which will be submitted for state approval in the next few weeks, would get rid of the system known as “concurrency,” where developers are assessed a fee based on transportation improvements their project may require, whether or not those improvements are ever made. It has been in place since the early 1990s and is widely considered to be a failure.

“I’ve thought concurrency was a bad idea for a long time,” said Bill Killingsworth, director of the city’s Planning and Development Department. “It’s achieving the opposite results of what was intended.”

(full story at the link above)

Last edited by fsu813; 01-21-2011 at 07:34 AM..

Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 AM

FYI ..... here's some intelligent conversation on the subject: 2030 Mobility Plan Presentation | Metro Jacksonville Forum

Old 01-21-2011, 09:50 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,476,740 times
Quote:
Heading in the right direction.....

Jacksonville planners eye new rules to discourage urban sprawl | Jacksonville.com Mobile Edition

Half a year from now, Jacksonville developers could operate under an entirely new set of rules when it comes to paying for transportation infrastructure around their projects.

The result, according to a range of development professionals, should be more of a focus on urban development and filling in empty spots in already built-up areas rather than sending projects out to greenfield areas.

The new rules, which will be submitted for state approval in the next few weeks, would get rid of the system known as “concurrency,” where developers are assessed a fee based on transportation improvements their project may require, whether or not those improvements are ever made. It has been in place since the early 1990s and is widely considered to be a failure.

“I’ve thought concurrency was a bad idea for a long time,” said Bill Killingsworth, director of the city’s Planning and Development Department. “It’s achieving the opposite results of what was intended.”

(full story at the link above)

In theory, this looks like a very good thing. I'm sure developers will moan a bit at the beginning, but they will want to make money and will bring their projects in a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville