Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 02:32 PM

10 posts, read 32,023 times

Advertisements

My family and I visited Nocatee a month or so back, and really did fall in love with the beauty of it all! We were very impressed with Coastal Oaks and the homes that they offfered and are certainly pursuing the possibilty of a move. My husband can relocate into Jacksonville, so this area would be a perfect fit for us NJ folks that love to be by the "shore". With that said, making such a big move from NJ to Florida is somewhat exciting yet somewhat frightening. We have two children- girl in kindergarten and a boy in fifth grade. Can anyone tell me about the schools and perhaps the neighborhoods? I have heard the schools are great, but they seemed kind of large and I am not sure if my kids will be overwhelmed. We are looking to be in a familly freindly area where the kids would be able to make new friends and get involved in baseball(son) and soccer(daughter)- is Nocatee it??

We also looked at the Durbins Crossing area, but it seemed much like NJ....Coastal Oaks seemed to have a better feel and a better potential to sit back and enjoy more of life.

Thinking of making another trip to actually visit the schools and scope out the area a little more, but would LOVE to get some feedback from people that currently are down there....

Thanks sooo much,
Lorraine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 03:26 PM

131 posts, read 621,540 times
Lorraine, it is a really nice area. I think you will love it. Just wanted to let you know that there are a couple threads on Nocatee already started that have some good information alreay posted. I would start with this one //www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...e-nocatee.html
These should get you your information just a little faster, hope this helps!

Old 05-13-2010, 05:08 PM

530 posts, read 1,350,919 times
I would recommend checking out PVPV , just for your own peace of mind. We have been very happy with the school, and we checked it out several times before we made our move. After meeting with the principal it was clear what she expected at her school, and we felt she had a firm hand on keeping it in line with what she expected. It has met our expectations. The school is always ranked at the top in St Johns County for elementary schools and St Johns county schools are ranked at the top for the area. In addition Nease High School is ranked in the top 100 in the country. I couldn't agree more about the "feel" of Coastal Oaks. I always am glad to drive home and seem to just feel relaxed after driving through the gate into our neighborhood. It will be a long build out here in Nocatee, but I tend to look at that as a positive as we have years to enjoy all the amenities with very little crowds. If you didn't check out the main water park an amenities center, be sure and do so as they did a fantastic job.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:43 PM

60 posts, read 188,821 times
Default Coastal Oaks

We moved to Coastal Oaks last summer and love it. We were looking for a place in the southeast where the kids could grow up in a real neighborhood, where they could just go out and play all day, ride bikes or skateboards or whatever, roam around, swim, play ball, with good schools, parks nearby, close to the beach, safe area, nice neighbors. And we definitely feel we found that here. We used to be in the military and have lived all over the country, and we realize that no place is perfect, but this is as close to the perfect environment to raise our family that we could hope for. I'd say the biggest downfall to living here is that you are pretty far away from everything (like 20 mins to Target or Walmart or the mall), but you get used to it. There are lots of options of things to do with the kids here, but we honestly stick pretty close to home since the kids usually just want to play with their friends! It's great being able to ride your bikes to 2 different parks and the community pool and the water park.

Let me know if there's anything else you want to know. Good luck!

Lisa

Old 05-13-2010, 09:17 PM

10 posts, read 32,023 times
Default Kids?

Are there a lot of kids in Coastal Oaks? We were there two times and the second day was a weekend but there was really no one around....we asked one person that we saw where everyone was and they had said maybe at the water park since it was the opening day...

How long are the bus rides for the kids to get to the middle and elementary schools? Are all the kids in the development on the same bus to and from?

Do they have a little league/youth groups in the area or do most of the kids just play school sports?

Any and all feedback that you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks!!
Lorraine

Old 05-13-2010, 10:00 PM

615 posts, read 1,712,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmann64 View Post
Are there a lot of kids in Coastal Oaks? We were there two times and the second day was a weekend but there was really no one around....we asked one person that we saw where everyone was and they had said maybe at the water park since it was the opening day...

How long are the bus rides for the kids to get to the middle and elementary schools? Are all the kids in the development on the same bus to and from?

Do they have a little league/youth groups in the area or do most of the kids just play school sports?

Any and all feedback that you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks!!
Lorraine
We are also looking in Nocatee, so I can only tell you about our house hunting experiences, but the neighborhoods seem pretty quiet to us, too. I did see a few boys out riding bikes the other day, and when my husband drives through, he says there are always kids on the playground, but its seemed pretty quiet to me. Even last weekend, on a hot sunny Saturday, the waterpark was pretty empty.

As for the busrides...the elem school is about 12 miles away. It's about a 20 minute drive for a car, so I would think a busride would be longer. That concerns me a little. I'd be spending nearly 2 hours in the car each day just getting my daughter to and from school. I don't feel comfortable with her riding the bus at her age. The middle school is just a few miles away, and the HS is even closer.

I spoke with the school board, and the plan is to first build a K-8 school in Nocatee. The land is set aside, but they need 400-450 kids (and the funding) before they will build. With 1000 homes already, I would think they would be pretty close to that number, but it seems like it will still be many years off.

I'd like to know about the sports, too. The builder rep that showed us around the waterpark said they had planned kids' activities, but I haven't been able to find anything specific.

And one other thing I wanted to mention...we ran in the Publix while we were there, and its amazing!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:19 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
We are also looking in Nocatee. I had no idea the elementary school was that far away. Wow. That could almost be a deal-breaker for me. I spend a lot of time at the kids' schools.

Hmmmmm. Maybe we'll get more serious about Julington Creek Plantation.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:35 AM

530 posts, read 1,350,919 times
With Julington Creek you would have the same ride time, if you add the lines to wait for drop off an pick up. It's crazy. Also , if you feel like going to the beach, pack a lunch for the ride. Its a haul.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:50 AM

615 posts, read 1,712,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donisanasfan View Post
With Julington Creek you would have the same ride time, if you add the lines to wait for drop off an pick up. It's crazy. Also , if you feel like going to the beach, pack a lunch for the ride. Its a haul.
Are you saying PV/PV doesn't have the same waits for pick up and drop off? I'm sure the bus is convenient, but I can't imagine putting my kindergartner on the bus, especially for that long of a ride.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:42 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donisanasfan View Post
That's why you ride your bike to school. No line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville