Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2007, 11:49 AM

3 posts, read 15,164 times

Advertisements

Looks like we are moving to Jacksonville from Los Angeles very quickly this summer (2, 4, and 6). Can anyone help us out on the following:

Are the good private schools in Jacksonville that much better than the public schools in N. St. John's county, where we currently are looking (with $700k to $800k budget).

What preschools for our 4 year old can be recommended?

Are the Julington Creek, and 210 corridor areas (e.g., St. John's Golf & CC) too remote to get to shopping -- malls, target, etc.

Where would we find the best family-oriented/neighborhood feel -- where neighbors get together and are open to newcomers. (I know this is an impossible question, but I have to ask).

Thanks so much for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 08:39 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aandj View Post
Looks like we are moving to Jacksonville from Los Angeles very quickly this summer (2, 4, and 6). Can anyone help us out on the following:

Are the good private schools in Jacksonville that much better than the public schools in N. St. John's county, where we currently are looking (with $700k to $800k budget).

Are the Julington Creek, and 210 corridor areas (e.g., St. John's Golf & CC) too remote to get to shopping -- malls, target, etc.

Where would we find the best family-oriented/neighborhood feel -- where neighbors get together and are open to newcomers. (I know this is an impossible question, but I have to ask).

I'll try to answer as best I can even though I don't think I'm too familiar with the areas you're looking at but I have kids in the same age range as you. I didn't have much luck finding pre-school for my two year old in Jax. Most of the pre-schools begin at 3 although a couple start at 2 1/2 (and potty trained). Choosing between Duval private and St. John's public schools is a personal and financial decision. Personally, I preferred paying up $100k to save myself private school tuition. Most of my friends are happy with the public schools in St. Johns County. There is always going to be someone who refuses to send their kids to public. As I live in Ponte Vedra Beach- I can recommend PVB pre-schools. If you come to this area and are interested, PM me and I can give you info because I toured every school here last year. Schools are hit and miss with wait lists right now so as soon as you choose where you're going to live, hit the pavement on the pre-school issue. A good pre-school will be a great way to meet other people at the beginning of the school year and a new move. Most people who live in the 210 area drive to the beaches for pre-school because there's only one out there, it's new and it's pretty daycare centered. As for the question of being remote - that's relative. If you live in Jax, you're going to have to drive so choose the locale that fits you and your family the best. As for your last question - Where would we find the best family-oriented/neighborhood feel -- where neighbors get together and are open to newcomers. (I know this is an impossible question, but I have to ask) - I can't/won't answer that because it depends on the neighborhood, the neighbors and yourself. We don't have very many neighbors in our age range on our street (which is in your price range) but a friend in another part of our subdivision has the neighborhood families over all the time. As you'll find all over the forum - Ponte Vedra Beach is a great small family town to raise your kids and there are tons of kids here.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:38 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
For Julington Creek, there is shopping just to the north in Duval, so not too far for the basics (Target, etc.).

210 is definitely further out, you'd have to drive a distance for most things - way too remote for my taste, but others don't mind the drive.

Are you only considering new homes in master planned developments like the ones you mentioned, or are you considering older established areas too? There are some gorgeous older neighborhoods in Jax with some very stunning homes along the river.

Yes, there are some very good private schools in Jax. Saint John's Country Day School (west side of the river in Doctor's Lake) and Bolles (east side of the river in San Jose) are top notch. I think they both have preschool options and both are K-12.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 10,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aandj View Post

Hi there! We are in Ponte Vedra Beach and never want to live anywhere else! We have been here 5 years and we love the small town feel, the great families, the zillions of kids, and the schools! We love it here because everyone is from "somewhere else" - which makes it easy to meet people. Ocean Palms, Landrum and Nease are fantastic! Preschools like Christ Church and Accotink are where most people send their kids. In Sawmill Lakes, there are tons of kids, lots of really friendly, young families and pricesare still in the mid $600s, which is great considering you're only 3 miles to the beach. They just had a big newspaper article about their annual Fourth of July Bike Parade. Good luck to you as you look for a home!! You really will like the Jax area!

Old 06-27-2007, 12:39 PM

12 posts, read 71,108 times
If you are moving to the 210 area, the public schools are great. This is the best area to live in around North Florida. Ten miles to the North are some great malls and the beach is 10 miles to the south. No crime within 20 miles of this area. I live on 210 and this is the best location in the area.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 22,838 times
What is 210 area? Is 210 a road? Considering moving to JAX

Old 06-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Jax

108 posts, read 639,064 times
210 is a road that leads out to Timberlin Creek Elementary, etc. Some people live off "210" in South Hampton, rural properties, etc. I live in Julington Creek and agree that the St. Johns County School District is a good choice if you're going the public school route. I've subbed in a few of the elementary schools (I am a California credentialed teacher and taught elementary school in the San Diego area) here in St. Johns County, and it's been impressive to see young elementary kids in "lap-top" classes and so on. For anyone living off 210, Timberlin Creek is an excellent school. After having subbed and taught in public schools in the San Diego area, I'm more impressed with what I've seen out here in St. Johns County.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:21 PM

156 posts, read 711,071 times
What developments are in the 210 area? is this closer to civilization than the World Golf village area? We were looking there but it seems a bit out of touch w/things right now, but I'm sure it is all coming.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:38 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmy3grls View Post
What developments are in the 210 area? is this closer to civilization than the World Golf village area? We were looking there but it seems a bit out of touch w/things right now, but I'm sure it is all coming.
yes, it is closer to jax and "civilization" than the wgv, but it is still a bit out of the way

Old 06-27-2007, 09:44 PM

9 posts, read 85,313 times
I am a teacher in Clay County. I had worked within Duval county and did my college internships in Duval. I couldn't be happier working for that county. I work with true hard working teachers, not babysitters that like the hours and summers off. (Excuse me if any Duval Teachers are out there, i cant say all of them are like this, but the majority of them i have met are). If it's possible to live on the boarder of Jacksonville/Orange Park, I would look into it. Another option is Flemming Island/Flemming Island Plantation/ Eagle Harbor (Clay county) They are only 15 minutes from Jax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville