Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:40 PM

44 posts, read 143,357 times

Advertisements

Moving from CA been looking at Eagle Harbor, and I can't find anything wrong with it? Can that be true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 07:24 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,360,457 times
Well, it's in Clay county.......did I just say that? Yes, I did.

I'm sure it's a lovely place to live when you're inside the development, but I wouldn't be interested in it myself due to its' location - too far from many things and too many traffic problems.

It has appeal to many people other than me though, so you might want to check it out when you visit here.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:55 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,634,233 times
Smile Sunnydee

I am scouting out places to move/retire to and I thought the same thing, this place looks too good to be true. It's very hard to shop for a home from out of state because through the internet anything can be made to look good, so I went to Jacksonville, drove around the city, scouted out some neighborhoods, walked around them, talked to folks, etc.

Eagle Harbor is truly lovely. It has real trees, a lot of amenities, the area is very clean, there's a grocery store and a new library within walking distance, and seemed very safe. The thing I considered a "gotcha" was CDD fees. In Ohio there is no such thing, so I wasn't even aware of them. As it was explained to me, they are a community development district fee that is levied on the residents kind of like a HOA, but more expensive. Apparently they are common in Florida developments because they give the residents their amenities up front and then the residents pay for them forever. If you are on a fixed income or are a normal working person who doesn't have unlimited funds this could become problematic. (Someone posted something about CDDs gone wild on this site and it scared the ooh la wee out of me.) I hope this helps you. Deanna

Old 06-16-2007, 07:23 AM

12 posts, read 41,575 times
My husband and I were house hunting there last month. We met with a realtor who showed us properties in different areas. As I understood it, the builder used bond money (?) to build the homes and shopping areas around it. You'll notice that in Eagle Harbor and Fleming Island Plantation there are stores right next door to the development. This CDD fee is paying back that bond money which will eventually be paid off. When? I don't know how you find that out. But the realtor did say that once it's paid off there will most liekly be a HOA fee which is undetermined at this time. That scares me because I can budget for the CDD fee but for how long and then what?

Old 06-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Jax

108 posts, read 637,391 times
I agree with Riveree, although a nice community in and of itself, Eagle Harbor is in Clay County, so you'll be dealing with traffic, you'll be on the "west" side of the river, etc. I think we saw it, too, and were impressed before we moved here, but I knew I wanted to be east of the St. Johns River and not in the Orange Park area. We're happy here in Julington Creek...lots of new development still going on here in St. Johns County.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:13 PM

Well Here In California We Have Hoa Fee Of 76.00 A Month So The Ccd Fee Actually Comes Out Cheaper. And They Offer Alot More Stuff Than They Do Here ( I Have 3 Small Kids). So As Far As That Goes I Am Not Too Worried About That To Much.so Tell Me The Truth What Is Wrong With Clay County? Please!! I Have Actually Heard That St Johns Co Has Better Schools But Isn't That By St Augustine? I Lived In Palm Coast For A While And Did Not Like It There Too Old. PLUS COMING FROM CA I DON'T THINK TRAFFIC IS AS BAD AS IT IS HERE, THIS PLACE IS THE WORST TRAFFIC I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE, NOTHING CAN SCARE ME AFTER DEALING WITH THIS NIGHTMARE!!!

Old 06-16-2007, 05:16 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,360,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_erhard View Post
Well Here In California We Have Hoa Fee Of 76.00 A Month So The Ccd Fee Actually Comes Out Cheaper. And They Offer Alot More Stuff Than They Do Here ( I Have 3 Small Kids). So As Far As That Goes I Am Not Too Worried About That To Much.so Tell Me The Truth What Is Wrong With Clay County? Please!! I Have Actually Heard That St Johns Co Has Better Schools But Isn't That By St Augustine? I Lived In Palm Coast For A While And Did Not Like It There Too Old. PLUS COMING FROM CA I DON'T THINK TRAFFIC IS AS BAD AS IT IS HERE, THIS PLACE IS THE WORST TRAFFIC I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE, NOTHING CAN SCARE ME AFTER DEALING WITH THIS NIGHTMARE!!!
Yes, St. Augustine is in St. John's county. The historic city of St. Augustine is pretty far south into St. John's county, but when most people on this forum talk of moving to St. John's county, they are talking about the north end of the county.

The north end of St. Johns county that borders Duval county (Jax) has become a bedroom community to Jacksonville. Most people living in that part of St. Johns commute for work to Jacksonville (also come to Jax for shopping and dining, though there is some limited shopping and dining in north St. Johns county now).

The schools in St. Johns county have a reputation for being quite good. There is so much development going on in the area that some of the schools are already experiencing overcrowding (Duval and Clay also have some overcrowding).

"What is wrong with Clay county?" you ask.....oh, we are treading on dangerous ground now !

Of course there is nothing inherently wrong with it, it's just a personal preference - either you love it or don't. It's further away from the beach, it's further away from the nicer shopping areas (Saint Johns Town Center, Avenues Mall, San Marco...these are all on the Southside of Duval/Jax), it's likely you'd have to commute into Jax for work. There are master planned communities in Duval and St. Johns, Clay does not have any exclusivity on that, so that can't be it.

It could be a good question to pose on this forum, 'what appeal is there for living in Clay over Duval or St. Johns?' But you'd have to ask for responses beyond "I like my neighborhood". Once you drive out the neighborhood entrance, where are you? What do you like about it?

Old 06-16-2007, 08:32 PM

I Guess The Best Thing To Do Would Be To Go There And See All Of This For Myself..right? Can You Give Me Some Goo Areas To Go And See While I Am There In Sept? In All The Counties. Just About How Far From The Beach Is Eagle Harbor?

Old 06-16-2007, 09:12 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,191,873 times
isnt eagle harbor in orange park? i know orange park is rated so highly as a place to live.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:36 PM

Orange Park Is Not A Good Place To Live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville