Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:47 PM

10 posts, read 16,730 times

Advertisements

I am searching for a location to move my mother for her health. She feels BEST when in warm/hot climates. By temperature, Jacksonville is a wonderful match. However, I must move with my mother for her care and I am deadly afraid of snakes. It seems that snakes are everywhere. Is this true in the downtown locations? I would consider apartment or condo living that is snake free, but if they are still found downtown, please advise. I can not take care of mom if I am passed out on the sidewalk every time I see one. Thanks for your input. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:49 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,505,643 times
Hi there! I should caution you that it DOES get cold here in NE Florida during the winter months. Just this year, even, we had the longest stretch of below freezing temps in a long time (forever?). If your mom needs year-round warmth, you may want to peek further south.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:58 AM

73 posts, read 351,075 times
Snakes aren't that big of a deal unless your living in an area with larger wooded/wet areas. Living in the typical community you won't see much. Hell, I see more deer than I do snakes and I live with a conservation wooded area right next to me.

Jax is a good place temp wise, but we still have our cold streaks and some good hot spells in the heat of August that can tend to tax people pretty hard that aren't used to it, especially in the high humidity. Going further south of Jax you'll take some of the chill off the winter, and add a few degrees to the summer. More importantly tho, take into considerations other things you wouldn't normally need to make preparations for where you lived previously, such as hurricanes, when looking anywhere along the gulf and southern Atlantic coast.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:05 PM

Thanks Chh2 for your input. I think mom would love the area, be close to Mayo and enjoy the temp of Florida over our current locale...Michigan. However, I need to be comfortable too. You have given hope that even a little further out of downtown will still be an option without little legless neighbors! I appreciate your time.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:57 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,382,577 times
Wife/I have lived here for a year/half and have only seen one snake and that was last weekend at a local Park. Now, those little lizards are everywhere, but they sure keep the bug population down (and they are rather cute).
The winter weather months here in N/E Florida are much better than when we lived just south of Denver, Colorado and better than in Huntersville, North Carolina (just above Charlotte) as well. Shoot, we could even take our boat out here during the winter months, if we wanted to. There are days that do get that warm.
We moved here b/c we got completely tired of "old man winter". Was joyed to give our snow shovel to the Goodwill in North Carolina. And, the weather here is much better on my hip replacement and rotator cuff surgery I had in 2007. By the way, we are in our early 60's.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:02 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karennkids View Post
Thanks Chh2 for your input. I think mom would love the area, be close to Mayo and enjoy the temp of Florida over our current locale...Michigan. However, I need to be comfortable too. You have given hope that even a little further out of downtown will still be an option without little legless neighbors! I appreciate your time.
I assume your Mom is on Medicare. Note that Mayo JAX does not accept Medicare patients for primary care (it's secondary and tertiary care only). Don't know what kind of problems you're dealing with - but you will have to find a primary care doc outside the Mayo system. And primary care docs for Medicare patients are kind of hard to find in JAX (and other parts of the country) these days. My husband went on Medicare recently - and he hasn't been dumped by our primary care doc (she isn't dumping old patients when they go on Medicare - just not accepting new ones). My father (92) sees a primary care doc in Mandarin at a UF/Shands clinic. I think it is still accepting Medicare primary care patients. But it doesn't have any affiliation with Mayo (Shands has its own secondary/tertiary care/hospitals in JAX and Gainesville). How old is your Mom - and what kinds of doctors does she need? We have lots of good doctors here in various specialty areas - but it takes a while to figure out where you can get specific types of care (Mayo certainly isn't "one stop shopping" whether or not you're on Medicare).

As for snakes - we live on a tidal marsh - and I think I've only seen snakes perhaps a half dozen times in 15 years. And the few times I've seen them - mostly warming up on the driveway when the sun is out and the weather is cool - if I go inside - they're gone in 10 minutes. They're really not a problem. Your bigger problem is primary care for a Medicare patient. Robyn

Old 06-09-2010, 06:34 AM

377 posts, read 878,235 times
Fear of snakes is not a reason good enough to move to downtown
Like everyone said, you won't see many (if any) snakes in the city unless you live near or visit a wooded/wet area.
If you are planning to take your mom to Mayo Clinic for care, the drive from downtown will be rather long, and I would advise to consider other areas closer to Mayo.

Passing out on a sidewalk will be hard to do as we don't have many sidewalks here

Old 06-09-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I assume your Mom is on Medicare. Note that Mayo JAX does not accept Medicare patients for primary care (it's secondary and tertiary care only). Don't know what kind of problems you're dealing with - but you will have to find a primary care doc outside the Mayo system. And primary care docs for Medicare patients are kind of hard to find in JAX (and other parts of the country) these days. My husband went on Medicare recently - and he hasn't been dumped by our primary care doc (she isn't dumping old patients when they go on Medicare - just not accepting new ones). My father (92) sees a primary care doc in Mandarin at a UF/Shands clinic. I think it is still accepting Medicare primary care patients. But it doesn't have any affiliation with Mayo (Shands has its own secondary/tertiary care/hospitals in JAX and Gainesville). How old is your Mom - and what kinds of doctors does she need? We have lots of good doctors here in various specialty areas - but it takes a while to figure out where you can get specific types of care (Mayo certainly isn't "one stop shopping" whether or not you're on Medicare).

As for snakes - we live on a tidal marsh - and I think I've only seen snakes perhaps a half dozen times in 15 years. And the few times I've seen them - mostly warming up on the driveway when the sun is out and the weather is cool - if I go inside - they're gone in 10 minutes. They're really not a problem. Your bigger problem is primary care for a Medicare patient. Robyn
Robyn, Thanks for the info. Mom is on medicare. She has been diagnosised with a neurological disorder. Mayo is studying her to determine which disease it is. Yes, we would have to get a primary care dr. with knowledge of her condition and fibromyaligia. I appreciate you time and knowledge on Jacksonville. Karen

Old 06-09-2010, 07:55 PM

Indigo Light~ Where do you suggest that is more convienent to Mayo? What kinds of neighborhoods are there? Thanks for your time and thoughts. K

Old 06-09-2010, 07:56 PM

LoveBoating~ You are giving me hope that we are heading in the right direction. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville