U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 07:41 AM

19,023 posts, read 22,860,646 times

Advertisements

fxtrader, jack up the car and smack the cat, cold of course. If it rattles back the cat is dying.

A clogged cat with over heat the head pipes. They will turn ornage nin bright day light if the cat is dead, and hiss out the tail pipe, and the car will refuse to move quickly as normal.

Before that happens, a clogged cat will heat the head pipes to a dull red best viewed in dim light. The ceramic honey comb with in the cat just breaks up due to extended use and many heating and cooling cycles.

Chick, I have no idea what is wrong with your car. I used to be a Jag tech, but things have changed a lot since i was. Once you could change a torque converter, but it might not be possible anymore. I just don't know. We have come to the time where many things that would fail to be changed out for a new part can no longer be. Sealed trannys are coming of age, and like a dixie cup when one part of it fails the whole blooming thing is no good.

I don't agree with that, but no one cares what I think.

When the dealer calls back, you better be seated. Perhaps have a martini prepared, you just might need 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 07:44 AM

13,253 posts, read 37,831,161 times
Well I'm holding their Mercury Sable hostage, that's the loaner they gave me. They already quoted me $5300 for a new transmission. I'm thinking I'll ask them if they'd take the Jag for the Sable in an even swap. And if not, they can put my car back together, I'll give them the $110.00 diagnosis fee, and sell the Jag "as is" and buy a clunker.

Thankfully it's bike-riding season.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:50 AM

Why not go there and ask to be shown the bad part(s)?

(ot: what bike?)

Old 07-09-2010, 07:52 AM

14,781 posts, read 37,041,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
They're telling me it IS the torque converter. It's at the dealer now, and they say I need to get a new transmission. I'm waiting for them to call back with pricing. Anyone have a clue, within the next um...10 minutes?

Edited to add: they say it's the torque converter, but that they can't just replace that one part, they'd have to replace the whole transmission.
In my first post, I provided the pricing for complete transaxle replacement. It is a 15 - 15.5 hour job and the costs are as follows:

Reman ~$2,900
New ~$6,000

If we assume $100 for labor you are looking at ~$4,400 for reman and ~$7,500 for a new unit.

Also, the torque converter is a servicable part. It is not an integral unit. The effort to replace it is the same as replacing the entire transmission, the decision to get a new trans should be based on whether there is damage to the transmission, or if it is just the torque converter. You are only looking at about $1,500 difference to replace the entire transmission with a reman versus just replacing the torque converter.

My personal advice would be to find a local independent Jag mechanic and take it there to get a second opinion.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well I'm holding their Mercury Sable hostage, that's the loaner they gave me. They already quoted me $5300 for a new transmission. I'm thinking I'll ask them if they'd take the Jag for the Sable in an even swap. And if not, they can put my car back together, I'll give them the $110.00 diagnosis fee, and sell the Jag "as is" and buy a clunker.

Thankfully it's bike-riding season.
At $5,300 they are quoting you a remanned transmission. The price is on the high side, but not crazy if inclusive of tax and diagnostic time. If you can post what they are charging you line by line including labor times/rates and parts prices, I can tell you if they are ripping you off on any particular item.

However, I would still take it to an independent mechanic before writing the car off. Just to add that a 2003 X-Type with a bad trans (if it is really bad) is worth pretty much nothing.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:21 AM

NJGOAT. This is strange to me. She says the tranny is great. But the dealer can't just replace the TC. You know the TC can be pulled off, like most any older cars TC can. I wasn't sure if this was a sealed unit, which is becoming common.

What would you guess is the rattle? I might guess cracked or broken flex plate, cracked or broken TC mounts to the flex plate, perhaps the stator fins inside the TC.

I would want the pan dropped and inspected for particals of metals, maybe run diags on the particals like Amsoil does.

I can understand that if the TC is grinding up particals or something else is, then the tranny is ruined as it would be full of grits.

But she says the tranny is strong, and she would know if it was grinding and slipping in any gear.

This doesn't add up fer beans to me anyway.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:49 AM

It's not the heat shield or the plate. I already had this checked over a week ago. The first mechanic (just a normal regular ma and pa place I normally go to) said he thought it was either the torque converter or the flywheel, but recommended another repair shop (not a dealer, a repair shop) that specializes in specialty cars (including Jaguar). That guy guessed it was the catalytic converter, based on the sound. That guy suggested I take it to the dealer to be sure, because if it was the catalytic converter, it would be covered by the federal emissions warantee (since it's under 8 years old and under 80,000 miles).

The dealer says it's the torque converter, plus he sees a minor leak in the transmission itself, and as a result, I'd need a new transmission. The reason, is that it's the same 15 hours worth of labor whether he does the torque converter or the transmission. If the torque converter goes - now remember this is a 7 year old car - it's just a matter of time before I need a new flywheel, or some OTHER part of the transmission needs work. And that would be ANOTHER 15 hours of labor. Every single time they repair a part of the transmission on my car, it'll cost me 15 hours worth of labor.

So the reason the above posters suggest the transmission replacement is more cost efficient, is because it is. you get the whole thing done once, and pay for one set of 15 hours, instead of paying the 15 hours for one thing, then next year, paying another 15 hours for another thing, and 2 years later paying another 15 hours for another thing.

When you're dealing with $110/hour that's almost $2000 JUST for labor. Minimum. Every single time you transmission has something that needs repairing.

PLUS - I have a crack in the manifold, which I knew about, but that is only going to get worse over time, and that will cost several thousand dollars to replace.

PLUS it's a 7 year old car, it is NOT a classic, nor will it ever be, because it's Jaguar's low-end vehicle which they don't even make anymore.

So the car is just not worth fixing, at that cost. It is definitely NOT the heat shield or the pan or the plate. I already had that checked.

Also, if the torque converter is JUST starting to go, it won't necessarily affect the driving. Once it's gone, you'd hear some kind of pop or explosion, and then the car will stop moving. It's still moving. So, it's not that far gone.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:12 PM

Anon - Based on what you posted, it really is up to you how to proceed. You could replace the converter and that minor trans leak could never amount to anything and the car is fine. You could do the whole unit and hopefully get another 7 years out of the car.

If this was me, I would agree with your assesment that it isn't worth it to continue to throw money at the car. X-types are worth very little. I looked up values on a 2003 X-type w/ the 2.5 and you are looking at a trade value of $3,300 - $5,000 and a retail value of $6,500 - $9,000. The repair in this case is more than the car is worth if you were to sell it to a dealer and barely worth more than the repair in a private sale. Since you seem to have the means I would get rid of it for something else.

Do you still owe a balance on the car?

Old 07-09-2010, 03:55 PM

So, does anyone wanna buy a used Jag?
<sob>
This was a once-in-a-lifetime purchase for me. I don't have the means for anything luxurious, and in fact this one was actually less expensive than the Rav-4s I had been going to look for, when we found it.

Well - I owned a Jag for 5 years. Something I'd dreamed of doing since I was a little girl, and I did it. Back to reality - will probably pick up a used Honda or one of the Toyotas that had to have the recall and got fixed now that no one wants them and they're selling cheap

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and the general shoulder to lean on. It's been very much appreciated.

Oh NJGOAT no there was no balance, I paid cash. CarMax was selling it for $16,900, 5 years ago. I traded in my Ford Explorer Sport, got around $5000 for that, so my Jag only cost me $12,000 out the door including tax and extended warranty. Which - expired, this past April, and the warrantee company never bothered to remind us to renew, or else this stupid transmission would've been covered <sob v.2)

Old 07-09-2010, 04:08 PM

7,688 posts, read 26,201,626 times
Drive it until the transmission falls out.. that seems to be the best way to proceed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar