U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 06:40 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,844,435 times

Advertisements

Honeyspot Road's closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 06:43 PM

8,778 posts, read 17,193,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Honeyspot Road's closer.
That isn't a hotbed for that. The most likely place in my town would be the train station, but even still, Bridgeport and New Haven offer much more lucrative positions.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:08 PM

19,023 posts, read 22,874,425 times
Well it isn't a sealed trannie. What is buggin me is these guys are yankin your chain. If I am thinking a bad cat I look for over heated pipes first since a custome would have driven it in and I can't exactly go pond on the cat with my fist to hear it rattle, but i sure can when the cat has cooled.

I can ID a bad at in a heart beat cold.

Then the tranny ios not a sealed unit and the TC can be removed with out really removing the entire trany, just mostly removing it. You have to drop the shifter, the drive shaft and un bolt the bell housing, then lift the tranny back on a tranny jack. There is wires a oil lines to cooler and yadda yadda but a decent tech can R&R (remove and replace) it in less than 15 hours.

The trick is marrying a decent tech ;D

If that car was in my hands I would drill a hole on either end of the crack in the maifold and braze it. That is something like a cross between welding and soldering with brass.

I worked on a lot of jags Xk 14o a real car classic, and XKE in line 6's, but I never worked on a automatic tranny jag once in my life and if i did when it left my shop it would have been a stick shift like God intended.

Another xke got a chevy 350 engien with a 4 bolt main crank shaft and chevy 350 tranny automatic, since the engine was dead. Well on that car the engine was well past dead.. The drive shaft was converted by welding to for the tranny of the chevy and shortened.

Chick these melba toast guys are jerkin yer chain. I just don't know what to do about it.

I think the first thing you should do is get the tranny pan down and see, meaning you see whats in the atf oil. If the oil is clear demand a TC, after they find the dam rattle. If the radio has interfearance that can be fixed too with a simple condeser you can but at Radio Shack.

What else? The exhaust pipes? Common wear and tear and metal is up so pipes will be up but not that bad.

How is the engine and how is the body?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 PM

NJGOAT is this one of the little ft wheel drive jags? Or a full size XKE? rear wheel drive?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 PM

3,190 posts, read 4,389,599 times
Mac_Muz:

The X-type is a V-6 transverse mounted engine which normally is front drive, but kicks-in the rear wheels as 4x4 when needed.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:49 PM

KoobleKar, Thanks not quiet what I had in mind.. X type and xke are 2 different critters .

Old 07-09-2010, 08:03 PM

Yes, that's the point Mac_muz. I'm the OP. My car is an X-type, and that's what everyone here, except for you, is attempting to help me with. If you would stop puffing out your chest about how uber an ex-mechanic you are long enough to read the posts, you would know this.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:00 AM

3,190 posts, read 4,389,599 times
Although I too was thinking it MIGHT be possible to repair the cracked manifold???

Is it the intake or one of the exhaust manifolds?

You know if you REALLY love this car, and since it's all paid for...perhaps getting the tranny rebuilt, repairing the manifold (or getting one from a junkyard) and then driving it for 5-7 more years might be worth it. That exhaust system might only look to be going bad? It's all stainless steel from front to the mufflers and really should last a lot longer than it seems to have.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:17 AM

It's one of those things though. I'm just realizing how expensive it's gonna be for -any- kinds of repairs, and now is the time when all those things that need repairing, starts showing up. I mean, just a standard tuneup with no repairs at all, is a couple hundred bucks. There aren't many places around here that will work on Jags, and the ones that do, charge dealer prices, or close to dealer prices, or are not reputable and don't know what they're doing. It's not that I want to bring it to the dealer, it's that, if I don't, I'll pay close to the same amount anyway, and Jaguar won't stand behind the work that gets done. If I bring it to the dealer, the work is guaranteed. Plus, the dealer gives loaners to customers. If I bring it somewhere else, I'd have to rent a car while it's in the shop. That's another expense, which brings any savings to an instant null and void.

And that's just for THIS incident. What about the next one? I'd love to keep it. I just can't afford the repairs. As someone posted in another thread (about buying a used luxury car vs. a new cheaper car) - if you can't afford the cost of repairing a $36,000 car, then you shouldn't buy a used one for $12,000. The cost is still the cost for a luxury vehicle, no matter how much you paid to buy it.

I could afford to buy it. I had hoped that it wouldn't need major repairs, because I couldn't afford to repair it. That's where I'm stuck now. The beginning of what could be a very long, very painful death by debt. So I'll get out now while only my toes are wet.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:49 AM

Chick , Sorry I just get X type and XKE mixed up in my head. Any transverse mounted engine tranny assembly is harder to work on since everything is in a tight place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar