U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2010, 02:17 PM
 
11,266 posts, read 45,002,839 times
Reputation: 15138

Advertisements

If you are seeking to depend upon your choices for transportation, then the answer is neither.

Much better values and utility to be found in many AWD vehicles ... Subaru, Audi, Volvo, Nissan ... and there's a lot of FWD vehicles that will also give yeoman service in most applications.

FWIW, unless you live in a serious snow belt area, or the Rocky Mountains, most FWD cars are more than adequate for transportation and will give better fuel economy, too.

Personal contact with Jeep vehicles has shown them to be less than reliable for street transportation, and they're not inexpensive to fix, either. Nor would I want one if the driving conditions are icy roads. The simple (if crude) CJ's of years past are not to be found in the recent offerings, and again ... if you're driving on the streets, they simply don't hold a candle to much more capable cars of the last few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2010, 02:39 PM
 
14,781 posts, read 37,059,111 times
Reputation: 14423
FWIW, if this is only going to be transport for inclement weather and you don't need to haul things around, I have found that AWD cars are a much better bet in all conditions except for very deep snow. My Audi's (A4 and A6) have been absolute tanks in all weather and were especially good at handling slushy/icy roads that are far more common than 12"+ of snow. Trucks and SUV's are much larger and heavier, with much higher center's of gravity and that makes it much more difficult to control them in slippery conditions compared to a car. My wife and I tended to take the Audi in all but the deepest snow even though we had a 4WD Avalanche sitting in the driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Purgatory (A.K.A. Dallas, Texas)
5,010 posts, read 13,438,759 times
Reputation: 2444
Definitely look at Subaru or a Jeep Grand Cherokee over either of those two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 04:51 PM
NSX NSX started this thread
 
866 posts, read 1,876,035 times
Reputation: 685
Very informative responses guys, thanks. I basically like the styling of both vehicles and both have seem to be extremely cheap now (seeing many examples close to $10K). I'm a very big fan of British cars (one of my sports cars is a Lotus Elise) so I'd like to stick with British cars if possible. However, I would be open to a Volvo S40 T5.

My big question: Which out of the Xtype or the Land Rover would likely be more reliable and less expensive to maintain. I know neither one is excellent in this regard, but which one would be the better of the two? Also, is the engine in the Xtype a Ford motor (good thing) or made by Jaguar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Eastern NC
20,872 posts, read 18,751,925 times
Reputation: 18727
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
My big question: Which out of the Xtype or the Land Rover would likely be more reliable and less expensive to maintain. I know neither one is excellent in this regard, but which one would be the better of the two? Also, is the engine in the Xtype a Ford motor (good thing) or made by Jaguar?
Neither, both will be expensive to maintain and both have horrible reliability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Happy wherever I am - Florida now
3,359 posts, read 11,121,096 times
Reputation: 3849
I've had both and am an english car fan myself. For bad weather i'd chose the Rover, for good weather the Jag.

However, as many have pointed out if you're not use to dealing with exotic cars you might want to stick to something else, though I've had very little trouble with either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,133 posts, read 9,634,092 times
Reputation: 2472
I love my Magnum R/T AWD. You can get a Chrysler 300C or Charger R/T in AWD as well. Very rare cars and good performance out of the box.

Or just get a 2005 Legacy GT Limited and put some easy mods on it (tune, exhaust, intake) to get it to 300hp. You probably won't find a better AWD system than the Subaru. This is the route I'd probably go if I only had a $15k budget.

Last edited by PokerMunkee; 08-12-2010 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 08:20 PM
 
14,781 posts, read 37,059,111 times
Reputation: 14423
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Very informative responses guys, thanks. I basically like the styling of both vehicles and both have seem to be extremely cheap now (seeing many examples close to $10K). I'm a very big fan of British cars (one of my sports cars is a Lotus Elise) so I'd like to stick with British cars if possible. However, I would be open to a Volvo S40 T5.

My big question: Which out of the Xtype or the Land Rover would likely be more reliable and less expensive to maintain. I know neither one is excellent in this regard, but which one would be the better of the two? Also, is the engine in the Xtype a Ford motor (good thing) or made by Jaguar?
On the Jag engine, both the 2.5 and 3.0 are nothing more than a version of Ford's Duratec motors of the same displacement. They are more similar to the Mazda versions than the Fords as they incorporate variable valve timing. There are also a few other differences, but mainly related to the materials used.

If I had to pick between these two for the more reliable ride, I would go with the Jag, but the latest model year my budget could swing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 08:34 PM
 
9,336 posts, read 19,827,984 times
Reputation: 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Very informative responses guys, thanks. I basically like the styling of both vehicles and both have seem to be extremely cheap now (seeing many examples close to $10K). I'm a very big fan of British cars (one of my sports cars is a Lotus Elise) so I'd like to stick with British cars if possible. However, I would be open to a Volvo S40 T5.

My big question: Which out of the Xtype or the Land Rover would likely be more reliable and less expensive to maintain. I know neither one is excellent in this regard, but which one would be the better of the two? Also, is the engine in the Xtype a Ford motor (good thing) or made by Jaguar?
Neither. I just looked at the Consumer Reports Auto Review issues. Neither is recommended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 08:36 PM
 
9,336 posts, read 19,827,984 times
Reputation: 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
On the Jag engine, both the 2.5 and 3.0 are nothing more than a version of Ford's Duratec motors of the same displacement. They are more similar to the Mazda versions than the Fords as they incorporate variable valve timing. There are also a few other differences, but mainly related to the materials used.

If I had to pick between these two for the more reliable ride, I would go with the Jag, but the latest model year my budget could swing.
The X type is basically a British Ford Mondeo with nicer interior and packaging and a higher price.

Ford Mondeo (2005) with pictures and wallpapers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top