Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:37 PM
NSX NSX started this thread

877 posts, read 2,167,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Neither, both will be expensive to maintain and both have horrible reliability.
Not a helpful post and you lack reading skills. I am comparing these two cars to *each other*, not to other cars. I am not looking for a boring Toyota appliance, even for a beater car. A handful of people I know have had zero problems with their Xtypes, and service is cheap since parts are shared with Ford. Please only post if you have something of value to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
On the Jag engine, both the 2.5 and 3.0 are nothing more than a version of Ford's Duratec motors of the same displacement. They are more similar to the Mazda versions than the Fords as they incorporate variable valve timing. There are also a few other differences, but mainly related to the materials used.

If I had to pick between these two for the more reliable ride, I would go with the Jag, but the latest model year my budget could swing.
Thanks for the post, that helps. The fact that it uses a modified Ford duratec is a huge plus for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 10:34 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times
Don't waste the time with either of these maintenance headaches, especially for winter cars.

I've had 9 hard winters with Audi A4's in the mountains of Colorado and PA. What a stress reliever to have a car that was reliable in the most difficult conditions and I never had to worry going to work at 4 AM in a snowstorm or doing the same coming home at 1 AM in the morning. Especially with good snow tires, just about unstoppable.

This year I got caught in the big snowstorm that hit the mid atlantic and where I was, it dumped 30 inches of heavy wet snow overnight. The hotel I was staying at, when I checked in, the lady said park all the way at the back because the snow plow was coming through the parking lot. The next morning when I had to go to the job site, of course the lot had not been plowed. In any other ordinary car, I had no chance. With Quattro and Blizzaks I made short work of the 30 inches of snow and bulldozed right through and even made it down county roads to the job site. Everyone was amazed I got there as they all had to ride on the plow truck.

So don't goof around and get a A4 or A6 Quattro with good snow tires and be done with it.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:08 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,280,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Don't waste the time with either of these maintenance headaches, especially for winter cars.
Your Audi doens't have a stellar reputaion for relaibility and maintenance ease, either.

My own Range Rover has ALSO been pretty much maintenence free (needed new spark plug wires at 60k, and tires and battery at 70k miles) and tackled that midatlantic snow just fine, as well, easily making it's own trails in unplowed roads.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:30 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Already have a few sports cars, the Corvette I drive in basically warm weather. However, I'm looking for a car that I can use in the winter or on bad days for short trips. This car won't be used very much, maybe 4-5k miles a year. The car will also have to be 4WD or AWD.

I'm looking to spend around $15k, and my two top choices right now are an Jaguar X-Type or Land Rover Discovery. Both would be around the 2004 model year with about 50k miles.

Which would you choose and what would be the pros and cons of each in your opinion? Which would likely have better reliability?

Thanks in advance.
Sent you a PM.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:33 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
for the 15K get a 05-06 ford Explorer XLT with a 4.6 SOHC V8 it is durable easy to fix and find parts for and is pretty much the same overall size as the land rover and the 4x4 has a true low-range in case you need it in super deep snow.
http://eagletribune.autoconx.com/photos/356/500157356_1_B.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-13-2010, 11:05 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Your Audi doens't have a stellar reputaion for relaibility and maintenance ease, either.

My own Range Rover has ALSO been pretty much maintenence free (needed new spark plug wires at 60k, and tires and battery at 70k miles) and tackled that midatlantic snow just fine, as well, easily making it's own trails in unplowed roads.
Ranger Rovers reliability varies GREATLY across type and model year...also, a sample size of 1 or 2 vehicles isn't helpful to someone buying one.

In fairness, the Jag from around the 2004 model years is going to ON AVERAGE a lot more reliable than the 2004 RR's.

Also, most manufacturers have issues with new models the first few years....but the RR's I think are even more pronounced.

So, there is a gulf of quality difference between say....the 2004 and even 2006 or 2007 model RR's.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:17 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
At least there's no question the X-type can handle snow.

YouTube - Top Gear - X Type Jaguar in the snow - BBC

Old 08-13-2010, 11:51 AM

747 posts, read 2,757,537 times
Pls don't introduce Top Gear into any serious discussion of automobiles. On second thought, since the question is whether to buy an X-type over a Disco, I'm not entirely sure this is a serious discussion of automobiles

Old 08-13-2010, 12:13 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
I gave him my serious 2c already.. any excuse for Top Gear is good enough if you ask me.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:08 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
So they say. I think there are a few weak points that need maintenance such as the timing belt and the control arms, but it is what it is. The one I have now has 134K on it and only in the past year I have I done anything to it outside what regular maintenance calls for.

It can't be beat in the snowy conditions and putting 5K to 6K a year on it, I don't think you have much to worry about unless you purchase a ragged one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar