Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:12 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times

Advertisements

And particularly in Atlanta, between the vandals, the traffic, the "park by braille" idiots, etc.

Fuggetaboutit. Keep the Honda you have till you finish school at least.

Even if you have no mechanical issues with the car, it's money you don't need to spend, and being in school, unless you have parents who are motorheads and have a good garage nearby, you won't begin to have the infrastructure to keep the car in good condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 03:47 PM

590 posts, read 554,855 times
For the price they ask for Jags, I would think they would be more reliable.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:00 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
I fell for the Jag has been greatly improved fantasy twice. Never again. There is something wrong with the culture at Jaguar that keeps them from making a good car. They should just close up and call it a day.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:24 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
I had a '94 XJ6. The British racing green color and the sleek styling would turn heads at a quarter of a mile but I found that Lucas Electronics to truly be the inventor of darkness. After changing out a $1,000 mass air flow sensor and a few recalled firewall relays, I was lucky to unload the beautiful beast for $100 more than what I had in it. No more Jags for me.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:09 PM

225 posts, read 368,852 times
o wow I didn't know the jaguar was that bad..

I just thought it would be a good car because of the style and and interior. The reasonable price and etc.. I didn't know the jaguar brands had that many issues.

No my parents are four states east of Georgia so I do not have a garage for it.

To other posters, No I am not made of money
My mom has already made it clear that she is only paying for insurance and a portion of the car note. Any issues that arise from flats to gas to maintenance will have to be my responsibility.

So thanks for all the response even though you killed my car plans lol, but its for the best.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:11 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I After changing out a $1,000 mass air flow sensor

MAFS can go bad in any car. And spending a grand on one is stupid, really.

Anyhow, the MAF for that car is less than $400 brand new as an OEM part. About the same as for my BMW. And surprisingly, about the same as a brand new MAF for a VW or Camaro from the dealer.

'94 is the last of the XJ40, pre-Ford Jaguars. Everything changed in '95. XJ40s were the worst XJs of all of them, worse than the Series I, II, or III cars like mine. And vastly worse than what followed. No wonder you were turned off by them, But it was a different company after that and if you know about car companies, you'd know that.

Just like with the BMWs, people don't know any better, go to a dealer or worse an indy mechanic who sees them coming, get screwed over in parts and labor prices for something that isn't that unusual in ANY car to go bad, and then hate on every other example from that marque from there out. It's human nature, but it's not very intelligent.

I shouldn't be surprised by it anymore, but I still am when I see it from supposedly knowledgeable car fans.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:59 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,339,906 times
The Jaguar X-type is a Ford Mondeo with a different body and interior, and unless they put some dramatically different engines in them here in the states, it should be relatively reliable.

That said, if reliability is what you're looking for you might want to get something else, if you can afford a little more upkeep than the average Toyota, you shouldn't dismiss it entirely purely based on it being a Jag.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:04 PM

475 posts, read 814,409 times
Quit watching Top Gear...Jaguar cheerleadingteam.....they are nothing but junk.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:21 AM

859 posts, read 2,828,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeStudentinAtl View Post
o wow I didn't know the jaguar was that bad..

I just thought it would be a good car because of the style and and interior. The reasonable price and etc.. I didn't know the jaguar brands had that many issues. Look at Ferrari and Lamborghini. Some of the nicest looking cars on the planet. Also some of the least reliable cars money can buy. Sure they are great performers and turn heads at every stop light but I've seen as many of them on the back of tow trucks as I have driving down the road. Styling means nothing and some companies think they can build a good looking car and that is all that will matter.

No my parents are four states east of Georgia so I do not have a garage for it. If you don't have a mechanic that knows how to fix Jags then forget it. They are quaky annoying cars. Even after Ford took over they continued to build things the way they saw fit for many years. In the last 3 yrs or so they have finally started to improve. I still would never oven one as a primary car. As a second car maybe but then again I know how to fix them

To other posters, No I am not made of money My mom has already made it clear that she is only paying for insurance and a portion of the car note. Any issues that arise from flats to gas to maintenance will have to be my responsibility. Don't burden yourself or your mother with another car payment and the repair bills that will come with it. Keep the car you have. Buy what you want once you have your own money to spend.

So thanks for all the response even though you killed my car plans lol, but its for the best.
see comments in red

Old 09-21-2011, 10:26 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeStudentinAtl View Post
No my parents are four states east of Georgia so I do not have a garage for it.
You may want to think about retaking geography 101...

lol, sorry I couldn't help myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar