U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which one
z06 21 35.59%
cayman 21 35.59%
jag 17 28.81%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:55 PM

191 posts, read 202,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Yep! Looks like an SUV to me. LOL.

Laughing w/ u) Told you.

SUV model Jag C x17

Exactly the same (like I said F type r just sits a little lower to the ground). For something that's supposed to be so "critically acclaimed" by someone other than the person who just said that in here. You think they'd spend more time thinking up a different "critically acclaimed" design for the Sports Utility Vehicle. Not buying it.

literally AND figuratively

Last edited by underated9; 01-09-2015 at 12:07 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 12:19 AM

137 posts, read 102,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underated9 View Post
Laughing w/ u) Told you.

SUV model Jag C x17

Exactly the same (like I said F type r just sits a little lower to the ground). For something that's supposed to be so "critically acclaimed" by someone other than the person who just said that in here. You think they'd spend more time thinking up a different "critically acclaimed" design for the Sports Utility Vehicle. Not buying it.

literally AND figuratively
I'm not going to argue looks with you. I'll only point out that both in my personal circles as well as general consensus among the supercar owner communities of pretty much every car forum I've visited (and as a man w/ a lot of free time I visit a lot) it's pretty much the only car in the world besides an Aston Martin Vanquish that 95+% deem stunningly beautiful.

That certainly doesn't mean your opinion is less valid. Just sayin.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:27 AM

137 posts, read 102,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerous View Post
For 100k you get a CPO Porsche 911, why a Cayman? dont get brand new.

I just bought a 2013 CPO 911 S for 100k, it only had 6k miles on it!

if you care about the new thing, just tell everyone you bought it new. nobody can tell the difference
I'm more into Caymans than modern 911's.

My friends gt3 RS w/ 3.8 w/ manual gearbox? The single best car I've ever driven, by some distance.

But I ain't dropping 130-150 on a Porsche with no warranty. Can't do it. Not in the budget.

I'm not into automatic 911's. Just a personal preference.

I view 911's as being an acceptably decent DD, but at heart a pure sports car. Pure sports cars should have manual gearboxes in my world (Italian stuff I can't afford aside.)

The Jag is more of a balance.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:11 AM

2,202 posts, read 1,685,934 times
This one has a special place in my heart:

Old 01-09-2015, 07:43 AM

6,257 posts, read 13,485,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingforarip View Post

My friends gt3 RS w/ 3.8 w/ manual gearbox? The single best car I've ever driven, by some distance.

But I ain't dropping 130-150 on a Porsche with no warranty. Can't do it. Not in the budget.

I view 911's as being an acceptably decent DD, but at heart a pure sports car. Pure sports cars should have manual gearboxes in my world (Italian stuff I can't afford aside.)

Well, if you're open to used cars, there are many GT3's out there for less than 100k, same with 911 turbos. If I were you, I'd spend about $80k and get a used 997.2 911 turbo, and pocket the $20k for any possible repairs and maintenance that may come up over the years.

A quick search on autotrader shows quite a few of them, along with some GT3's as well.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:45 AM

4,312 posts, read 6,220,789 times
For some reason, I never realized until recently that Corvettes are mainly driven by older men. My neighbor is retired and has one. His is the last generation. It sure sounds nice.

I am in my early 40's and no one that I know has one. Some of my friends have toys but none of them have Corvettes. A few have 911s and some have Minis. I think people my age grew up longing for European cars and therefore aren't drawn to Corvettes.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:57 AM

3,256 posts, read 4,799,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I wouldn't buy a Corvette, because I'm not 60 and don't feel the need to drive around in a giant ugly piece of plastic that only goes in straight lines.
Your thought about the Corvette is as updated as 1997, that's when the Corvette really had a significant jump in performance.

Corvettes are typically lighter than their counterparts. Starting with the 2001 Z06, the performance really went up and those cars still hold their own until today.

But to the OP, given those 3 choices, I'd go for the Jag. They just look so cool.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:05 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 15,402,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
For some reason, I never realized until recently that Corvettes are mainly driven by older men. My neighbor is retired and has one. His is the last generation. It sure sounds nice.

I am in my early 40's and no one that I know has one. Some of my friends have toys but none of them have Corvettes. A few have 911s and some have Minis. I think people my age grew up longing for European cars and therefore aren't drawn to Corvettes.
IMO there are two types of sports car buyers, posers and enthusiasts.
Posers can be found usually cruising the highways or at car shows with their California dusters wiping down the car they just waxed hrs before.
Enthusiasts can be found at road course events either checking tire pressures between sessions or helping out the guy parked next to him.Track guys like to help each other.

There is no age requirement for either group but track guys tend to be older and drive any kind of sports car you can think of but mostly Corvettes, Porsche's, also BMW and Mustangs for those who can't afford real sports cars.

I say buy whatever you like and become part of any group you choose.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:26 AM

5,106 posts, read 6,244,375 times
If the OP wants a wknd toy for canyon carving, why not just get an MX-5 Miata and save himself $70k? He's probably have just as much fun. High HP cars cant be pushed to their full potential on the backroad twisties anyway. The new 2016 Miata comes out this year too.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:35 AM

671 posts, read 1,129,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingforarip View Post

You can get the 911 without the pdk (automatic), in fact it knocks about 4k off the price to get the mt. I also initially wanted the stick but when I test drove the pdk I was impressed and ended up with a 2013 (991) cab cpo and it was substantially under 100k. And I can say it's a great DD. The cpo is a pretty good warranty.

My debate was between a new cayman vs a cpo 991 and in the end I wanted the extra power of the 911. Plus, well, it's a 911.

Bottom line is, go drive the porsches and the others, and see which one you fall in love with the most. This is a major purchase and your own 'feelings' need to play a big role in something like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar