Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which one
z06 21 35.59%
cayman 21 35.59%
jag 17 28.81%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:14 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,147,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
Porsche. I like Corvettes, but I don't like the fact that they're worthless in the slightest amount of snow. I know you said weekend car, but the thing about a Porsche is that you can use it every day, it will hold up, it's not a princess garage queen like the Corvette. Jaguars do nothing for me, since the 80's/90's.
I used my Corvette as a daily driver. There was no problem at all. However, I do agree that the other cars give you a little bit more luxury bang for the buck.

Of the choices presented, I would pick the Porsche. And I never pick the Porsche.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:45 PM

460 posts, read 998,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingforarip View Post
Thanks for your opinion.

To be clear, these are weekend sports cars for canyon carving, the very rare track meet, and general hell-raising.

None of them will ever see snow.
It doesn't snow on weekends?

Old 01-07-2015, 11:14 PM

137 posts, read 142,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
It doesn't snow on weekends?
not in Miami.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:19 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,036,342 times
The Cayman is so purty.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:19 PM

991 posts, read 1,223,033 times
All the cars with Summer tires would be terrible in the snow. Even a 911 Carrera 4s sucks in the snow unless you put snow tires on it.

The C7 Corvette z06 is an unbelievable value for the money. Chevrolet has finally improved the interior and the cars are definitely not just for straight line. Preliminary track results indicate that it's truly a race car that is street legal and comfortable.

The Cayman is a great car (I currently have a P-Car) and undoubtedly the GTS will be terrific, unfortunately I don't fit into the Cayman / Boxster.

I have not driven the Jag, but it looks terrific and seems to be a big improvement over the previous version. It doesn't have a true f1 transmission nor can one get a manual.

For a fun car just for the weekends and to toss around, I would say the Porsche (if I fit). And if one's into the Sun you can get the Boxster GTS and have essentially the same car with Sun Tanning capability.

The downside of the Cayman (and the Corvette) is they are much more common and probably always will be (than the Jag), and most people won't know the difference between a base boxer and a GTS (or a base Cayman and a GTS). But are you looking for a status symbol or something that's purpose-built to carve the canyons and enjoy on the weekends?!

Old 01-07-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
But are you looking for a status symbol or something that's purpose-built to carve the canyons and enjoy on the weekends?!
The latter.

I agree with your points on the z06. These guys talking about straight line only vettes are talking from a different era. The c7 is a completely different animal. Jeremy "I hate American muscle" Clarkson named it the Car of the Year, for goodness sakes.

The driving experience is paramount. But that doesn't make the decision any easier, it seems to me.

Most will say the Porsche will be "tighter" in real world, responsible road driving. This opinion will be based on heritage.

The z06 is so unbelievably fast as compared to the competition that it would destroy them both in any road course/canyon carving speed comparison imaginable. The handling of the modern z06 is, I risk repeating myself, nothing like its' predecessors. When you're comparing the capabilities of the z06 with the Porsche, how much more enjoyment can the more "sophisticated" chassis really bring when the power differential is almost night and day? This is a question I wrestle with.

Then there is the pure visceral part of the equation. The Jag makes an intoxicating noise that the competition can't hope to match. But, no manual gearbox option in the v8 jag. I've been inside all three and, this will shock most of you I'd imagine, the z06 clearly has the best interior. Lots of cheap plastic in the Jag, oddly enough. The Porsche is classy, subdued, quality, but a bit old hat IMHO. It's very pedestrian and unexciting inside. Perhaps this is the younger generation part of me talking. I think the Cayman looks a bit 2005 from the drivers seat.

Aesthetically, the Jag is the most beautiful by a mile IMO. I don't care about a status symbol, but I enjoy having a beautiful car for my own pleasure.

It's a great time to be an enthusiast. These are all great cars. Helluva tough decision, though.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:01 AM

Took less than 6 months for my Corvette interior to start rattling.

It is annoying at any price point, but the annoyance climbs with the $$.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Took less than 6 months for my Corvette interior to start rattling.

It is annoying at any price point, but the annoyance climbs with the $$.
Thanks. Which generation?

Old 01-08-2015, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingforarip View Post
Thanks. Which generation?
C6. 2011

I test drove the new ones this spring. Loved the aesthetics and how they closed in the driver area for a cockpit feel, but I wasn't convinced the same thing wouldn't happen.

Those cars are just hella-fun to drive, though.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:05 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,199,019 times
Would go for the 2015 C7 corvette Z06 with Z07 Stage 3 performance/aero pkg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS9nV-qtXro
Love the sound of the Z06
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar