Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 03:08 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times

Advertisements

Around here you just don't see these so it would be worth a grand to me just to park it in the drive and have people wonder how the hell I could afford something like that. It appears to be a nice looking car (I found the ad), they wouldn't have to know that it doesn't run. I'd just tell them I can't drive it yet because I'm waiting for the title from an estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 06:22 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Around here you just don't see these so it would be worth a grand to me just to park it in the drive and have people wonder how the hell I could afford something like that. It appears to be a nice looking car (I found the ad), they wouldn't have to know that it doesn't run. I'd just tell them I can't drive it yet because I'm waiting for the title from an estate.
See? That's what I'm saying!
You'll never believe this. I talked to a lady that owns the place that did the transmission rebuild on the Isuzu. She's rebuilt some crazy stuff off her own. I told her about it, and about the conversion kit, and just threw it out there to see if she'd be interested in giving me a ballpark. They're not too far from there.
Turns out her lead mechanic is a Jaguar freak, has a couple and might just want to take it on.
I'm going to call them Friday and see what he says. If nothing else he may agree to go take a look. I'm in STT-VI with FEMA at the moment, wouldn't you know.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:15 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
The conversions to a small block Chevy and GM auto transmission have a history of being a substantial improvement in drivability and reliability of these cars. The conversion engine/trans are significantly lighter than the original, too. You'll need to do suspension mods (also available from the kit suppliers) to complete the package. The Delco electrical gear is much more reliable than the OE stuff, too. Advantages also to the better cooling system of the small block, also.

You don't have to open the hood for the looky-lous and maybe they won't notice the difference in the exhaust sound, either.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:27 PM

Thanks sunsprit. I'm hoping the Jag guy will go look at it.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:22 PM

I got it. I'm going to start a thread on it, I think. The conversion kit link is amazing, thank you for that. Gonna start looking for a 305 w/transmission, hopefully in a "totalled" vehicle.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:34 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I got it. I'm going to start a thread on it, I think. The conversion kit link is amazing, thank you for that. Gonna start looking for a 305 w/transmission, hopefully in a "totalled" vehicle.
Awesome! Just please don't go with a 305. They're a decrepit and milquetoast engine. At least find a 350, perhaps from a 1990s truck (before the switch to the LS/Vortec series of engine, which I believe was in 1999). Best would be an LS series, though they're quite a bit different from the "classical" small-block.

There's of course the "while I'm at it..." syndrome, prompting one to spent lots of money, achieving poor results because to the tantalizing appeal of doing a yet-better mod. Definitely something to avoid. But to err in the opposite direction, of swapping the running-gear from some nondescript junker, is also unwise. The mechanic's time costs whatever it costs - it's a fixed cost. That motivates using the better available parts, even if the recipient-vehicle was acquired cheaply.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:08 PM

The site that sells conversion kits - if I read correctly on this miniscule phone screen - has a kit for a 305, then a big block. Hmm....

Old 11-24-2017, 05:32 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
The site that sells conversion kits - if I read correctly on this miniscule phone screen - has a kit for a 305, then a big block. Hmm....
It's all lingo for the various Chevrolet engines that were popular before the late 1990s. Those sites still have good information; some of it is quite literally timeless. But in the 20 years since those sites first went up, the selection of available parts - and the technology - has moved on.

The venerable Chevy Small Block came in displacements from 262 through 406 cubic inches. The 305 was a very common displacement throughout the late 70s, through the early 1990s. A higher performance version was the 350. This is the generation of large RWD American cars that most people remember... the taxicabs and so forth. The Big Block was a different engine family. It was the darling of the muscle-car era, but it all but disappeared from passenger cars in the mid 1970s. Big Block swaps have been done in Jags before. I did such as swap in my Datsun Z, but I paid a welder/body-man to relocate the firewall to the rear, and to augment the unibody with a fairly elaborate ensemble of tubes. This is totally unnecessary for a Jag - but come to think of it, a Big Block - while cool - is likewise totally unnecessary.

One could expound on this or that arcane designation of engines, cylinder heads and so forth; opinions abound, on what's best, what's troublesome, what's too rare and fragile. Perhaps the fellow who's going to execute the swap, is himself strongly opinionated, and with those opinions might come leads for what components to source, and where. Alternatively... because for decades, up through the late 1990s, all of these engines were externally identical, it may be prudent to swap in some "throwaway" temporary engine - whatever happens to be available - just to get the car running; then, later, in a Step 2, buy/build a more competent engine of the same family.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:03 AM

Can't rep you again but thanks. My knowledge is limited. My 64 Impala had a 283. Sweet.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:43 PM

Towing has been arranged. I'm still in St. Thomas. My Jaguar-crazy mechanic is going to do a complete assessment on it. He keeps his two running and believes in the engineering. He feels people don't understand them from a British perspective. Whatever. It would be cool if it needs something minor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar