U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:04 PM

9,472 posts, read 27,411,530 times

Advertisements

As I posted earlier, Montana Griz . . . I am both IMPRESSED and JEALOUS.

Once down here in the Dry Desert Southwest, that Jag will last forever and look better with each and every year.

I have a 23 year old "Tucson Native" Jeep CJ-7 (picture in my profile) that has not one spot of rust or rot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 924 times
Can anyone tell me if my 1996 XJS has front or rear end drive? Can I tow it on a 2 wheel car dolly?
Thank you,
James
[email]jrchumbley@aol.com[/email]

Old 07-12-2013, 03:10 PM

5,996 posts, read 14,220,110 times
Fairly certain its rear wheel drive.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:05 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,477,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Fairly certain its rear wheel drive.
Yes.....it is Rear wheel drive.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:38 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,123,264 times
Yep.....all Jags are rear wheel drive except for the X-Type which is All Wheel Drive. And even the X-Type has a rear wheel drive bias (it's a rear drive car until the fronts are needed) which is pretty unique for an AWD car.

Personally, I would rent a full trailer as opposed to a two wheel towing dolly.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 07-12-2013, 06:25 PM

38,690 posts, read 91,085,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Yep.....all Jags are rear wheel drive except for the X-Type which is All Wheel Drive. And even the X-Type has a rear wheel drive bias (it's a rear drive car until the fronts are needed) which is pretty unique for an AWD car.
No, the X-type was based on a FWD platform. If you squint you might recognize it as the Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique. As such the torque is FWD-biased. And they did make a FWD version, though I don't think any of them made it to North America.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:02 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,123,264 times
Sorry....I own an X-Type and inquired about that with the mechanic. I also know for certain that my rear wheels spin in snow before the fronts kick in.

If you put those cars side by side with the X-Type, you'll also see they aren't the same. The X-Type is stretched and the body curves are different. The entire drive train is different as well as the suspension.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 07-12-2013, 09:37 PM

2,888 posts, read 4,880,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Another thing to consider is to contact John's Cars ( Jaguar conversions, swaps, parts, service and advice - from John's Cars in Dallas. - broken link) out of Texas--------he sells conversion kits to swap in an easy to fix Chevy 350 V8/700R4 AT combo in lieu of that potentially problematic Jag Six.
The Jaguar straight six from 1995-1997 is actually one of their best engines and very reliable. It would not make any sense to swap it for a Chevy 350. It was the late 90's v8 the one that was problematic with the timing chain tensioners.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:01 PM

3 posts, read 960 times
Not sure if you have solved your battery issue or not. My sister and I each have 1996 jags xjs. we had the issue with the battery as well. there is something that draws the battery down, but cant be detected, so the dealership put cut off switches on the battery. works perfect!!! might cost $20 to buy one. They will cut a round hole on panel that hides battery and then there will be a red switch that you will turn off if you think you wont be driving it for a while. hope this helps, it solved our issue.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:54 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,477,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiastgermain View Post
Not sure if you have solved your battery issue or not. My sister and I each have 1996 jags xjs. we had the issue with the battery as well. there is something that draws the battery down, but cant be detected, so the dealership put cut off switches on the battery. works perfect!!! might cost $20 to buy one. They will cut a round hole on panel that hides battery and then there will be a red switch that you will turn off if you think you wont be driving it for a while. hope this helps, it solved our issue.
Thank you for your post.........

I bought a device called: Battery Tender. It works like a Trickle Charger and works perfectly.
The "cut-off" switches certainly are a good idea.

I might mention that come this Spring, I'm going to sell the Jag......I'll be 84 in April and just don't have the level of interest I had when I bought it at age 75....I have never driven it in winter (snowy) weather, but do take it out to my mail box every 3 weeks or so for a 20 minute drive in the winter (on good days)..........summer time and in good weather, I take it into town (35 miles R/T) every couple of weeks or so.
(1996 XJS, 6 cyl, Auto Trans, AC, Security System, Brand new tires, "Boot" for covering the Convertible Top when in the "down" position, and etc, etc.)
I would classify the creme colored all leather interior at 99% and the exterior body and original paint finish (Jade Green) at 98%, and approx 47,500 original miles are on the car. If you know of anybody who might be interested, I'd appreciate a "heads-up".

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar