U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:40 PM

968 posts, read 2,253,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Looks like a nice car but for the money, I'd buy something else. The reliability of Jaguar is horrendous and the resale value, as someone said, is ridiculous! Personally, I believe Jaguar is a dying brand, they sell so few cars per year compared to other luxury marques that it won't be able to continue. You never hear of people looking at buying a Jaguar if they want a mainstream luxury car; it's always a Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus. If they want a TRUE luxury car; it'll be a Maserati, Bentley, or Aston Martin. I just don't see Jaguar quite fitting in anywhere.
build quality changes, if they did this one right, it will last and restore the brands resale value.

and you don't spend 100,000 on a car and worry about depreciation.

if the jaguar really did top the S class, 7 series, ls460, a8, (hell throw the s80 in there for measure) then i would buy it because it satisfied my tastes. and it looks to be coming around better than the interiors on the s class, and the 7 series, however does it beat the a8 (s8)? mmmmm i do love a piano black interior.

btw maserati has HORRIBLE resale value (100 grand down to 30 after 4 years!) but maserati's are like buying a ferrari at half price brand new, despite the lack of flare.

Last edited by Orincarnia; 05-14-2010 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 12:43 PM

14,618 posts, read 14,574,322 times
All I can say is that time will tell.

The UK reviews have been very favourable, and they tend to be fairly non partisan.

They are made in England, by the way.

Here's their UK website:

Jaguar International - Jaguar

Old 05-14-2010, 12:48 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,250,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
that jag kinda sucks..... the 5.0 in the new mustang makes close to those numbers stock and it is NA not supercharged thats funny that a 75,000-115,000 luxury sporty car will get beat by a $33,000 mustang GT 5.0
It's funny that you call it a sportscar.

It's also funny that you're comparing a two door coupé and a big heavy luxury sedan/limo.

While we're at it, I think we should compare a Corolla and a Bentley, I mean, the Toyota has 3 more seats and costs WAY less.

Ford doesn't have a comparable product to this car, and sporting credentials is not what they're sold on.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:55 PM

10,985 posts, read 23,783,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post

It's also funny that you're comparing a two door coupé and a big heavy luxury sedan/limo.

While we're at it, I think we should compare a Corolla and a Bentley, I mean, the Toyota has 3 more seats and costs WAY less.

Ford doesn't have a comparable product to this car, and sporting credentials is not what they're sold on.
I was comparing engines the 5.0 in the mustang makes about the same power as the the supercharged 5.0 in the jaguar. why could jaguar not make better numbers. it seems lame that they could not make much more power over a N/A stock ford V-8. look at the smaller 4.0 in the BMW M3 even it is getting way better numbers and it is N/A also. the caddy CTS-V makes 550 with a 6.2 supercharged V-8 and does it with a old school OHV V-8 it has no fancy DOHCs or 4-valves per cylinder.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:00 PM

968 posts, read 2,253,771 times
Quote:

yup, totally agree! however the HP is nice.

in this video a 5 year old subaru beat a brand new gallardo, but i'm still savin up for the gallardo,

YouTube - Subaru vs Lambo

GTOlover, if you're complaining about the Jag, maybe you should stick to pony cars and stay away from the big dogs(or cat in this case).

Old 05-14-2010, 01:10 PM

10,985 posts, read 23,783,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
yup, totally agree! however the HP is nice.

in this video a 5 year old subaru beat a brand new gallardo, but i'm still savin up for the gallardo,

GTOlover, if you're complaining about the Jag, maybe you should stick to pony cars and stay away from the big dogs(or cat in this case).
I will

Old 05-14-2010, 01:12 PM

13,719 posts, read 26,223,312 times
Quote:
I was comparing engines the 5.0 in the mustang makes about the same power as the the supercharged 5.0 in the jaguar. why could jaguar not make better numbers. it seems lame that they could not make much more power over a N/A stock ford V-8. look at the smaller 4.0 in the BMW M3 even it is getting way better numbers and it is N/A also. the caddy CTS-V makes 550 with a 6.2 supercharged V-8 and does it with a old school OHV V-8 it has no fancy DOHCs or 4-valves per cylinder.
I guess the following cars should be ashamed too that their V8 isn't more powerful than the Mustang:

BMW 550i - 4.4L/400 HP (twin turbo)
Mercedes S550 - 5.5L/382 HP
Lexus LS460 - 4.6L/380 HP
Porsche Panamera S - 4.8L/400 HP

Never mind that they aren't competing with the Mustang and have very different goals and buyers.

Any of these companies can (and in some cases do) make engines more powerful than the Mustang. But in general not for their luxury sedans.

Last edited by hoffdano; 05-14-2010 at 01:30 PM..

Old 05-14-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Because power figures was not the goal, a particular way of power delivery, with enough go on tap to make it an efficient motorway cruiser was.

If they wanted more power out of it, I'm sure they would've pushed more power, but smooth power delivery and enough bottom end grunt is what they were aiming for, not performance figures to match a sports car.

That said, the 5.0L supercharged Jag engine is getting old, and I doubt they'll keep it in use for all that much longer.

The comparison however is rather pointless. You use different engines with different power figures in different cars. The most obvious example of it is how BMW (and Mercedes) de-tune some of their engines depending on the car model and the performance and characteristics they want the car to have.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:09 PM

22,694 posts, read 28,356,313 times
Quote:

Limo? I don't think it could be considered a limo. In fact, my '66 Plymouth Fury (definitely not a limo) is a few inches longer in overall length.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Limo? I don't think it could be considered a limo.
They certainly call it and use it like that.

I realize that it's not entirely comparable to a stretched car or similar, but the LWB 7 series, S class, XJ etc are indeed called limos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar