U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 02:25 PM

22,691 posts, read 28,350,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
They certainly call it and use it like that.

I realize that it's not entirely comparable to a stretched car or similar, but the LWB 7 series, S class, XJ etc are indeed called limos.
Of course definitions will vary.

But a general definition of the word "limo" means there is some kind of division between the front and rear compartments.

I should know, since I do own an actual limo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 02:32 PM

14,781 posts, read 37,059,111 times
People need to realize that the new Jags have very little if anything in common with the Jags of just a couple years ago. Ford destroyed that brand, but at least it looks like it is on its way to recovering some former glory. Time will tell on the reliability and resale end, but these are very different vehicles and have little to compare to the older models that were so dismal.

As for the engines horsepower output there is always more to an engine than the total power it can produce. It is how the engine uses its power (torque band) and the gearing that is applied to it. My guess would be Jag went for the option that would give them a broad flat plateau of torque while sacrificing peak power and then raised the gear ratios to let it cruise comfortable at high speed. People buying a $100k highway touring car could give two sh$ts about 0-60 time, they want a nice ground swell of torque when they move to pass and don't want the jerkiness that a peakier engine would have.

The "new" Jag hasn't had much time for engine development and they supposedly want to keep it all in house (there was talk of them simply buying BMW or Mercedes engines for a while). The existing powerplants are already certified and would be a cheap and easy way to get the car to market. Also, if they are following some of their prior owners ideas on releasing a car, you debut the new model/re-design with a proven engine and the replace that engine with a new one after a year or two.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:46 PM

11,456 posts, read 13,024,372 times
I love Jag's design out of the gate, but (to me anyway) they don't seem to age as well as others (like a Benz for instance) do.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:03 PM

13,719 posts, read 26,220,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
People need to realize that the new Jags have very little if anything in common with the Jags of just a couple years ago. Ford destroyed that brand, but at least it looks like it is on its way to recovering some former glory. Time will tell on the reliability and resale end, but these are very different vehicles and have little to compare to the older models that were so dismal.

As for the engines horsepower output there is always more to an engine than the total power it can produce. It is how the engine uses its power (torque band) and the gearing that is applied to it. My guess would be Jag went for the option that would give them a broad flat plateau of torque while sacrificing peak power and then raised the gear ratios to let it cruise comfortable at high speed. People buying a $100k highway touring car could give two sh$ts about 0-60 time, they want a nice ground swell of torque when they move to pass and don't want the jerkiness that a peakier engine would have.

The "new" Jag hasn't had much time for engine development and they supposedly want to keep it all in house (there was talk of them simply buying BMW or Mercedes engines for a while). The existing powerplants are already certified and would be a cheap and easy way to get the car to market. Also, if they are following some of their prior owners ideas on releasing a car, you debut the new model/re-design with a proven engine and the replace that engine with a new one after a year or two.
I disagree Ford destroyed the brand. Before Ford acquired Jaguar it was at the bottom of the quality rankings - with Range Rover. Ten years later Jaguars were better - but the improvements in reliability weren't dramatic. The biggest legitimate complaint about Ford was the choices it made to produce the X-type. The prior XJ's switch to an aluminum body was done in the Ford era and was reponsible for the XJ's fine handling and good performance for its horsepower. The S-type shared some platform with the Lincoln LS - but the two cars were very different.

I really like Jaguars - I hope to own another someday. But I don't believe it will ever improve in quality to compare with Lexus or the Germans. The British manufacturing (labor especially) will forever hold it back. Ford couldn't fix that.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:31 PM

7,688 posts, read 26,207,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I love Jag's design out of the gate, but (to me anyway) they don't seem to age as well as others (like a Benz for instance) do.
Maybe not, but the new Mercedes already look dated and the Jags look futuristic.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:23 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,544,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Maybe not, but the new Mercedes already look dated and the Jags look futuristic.
HUH? Mercedes just redesigned many of their models and you think they look dated already?!? Oh please.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:13 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,248,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Of course definitions will vary.

But a general definition of the word "limo" means there is some kind of division between the front and rear compartments.

I should know, since I do own an actual limo.
I know you do, I'm just going with the term used by autojournalists and the manufacturers themselves.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:48 PM

5,996 posts, read 14,213,378 times
Mercedes cars age quite a bit worse than the competition. A few years go by and they look a decade old.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:58 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,248,968 times
I think Mercedes is onto something with their current exterior styling as well as the direction they've signaled they're moving in.

And the new SLS is pure sex.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:04 PM

5,996 posts, read 14,213,378 times
Mercedes cars age quite a bit worse than the competition. A few years go by and they look a decade old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar