Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Why are these tips being lableded as your secrets?-lol

I seen these same tips everywhere on the web
btw - it's "I have seen" otherwise you come across as uneducated (or sloppy)....oh wait, nm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 07:23 PM

274 posts, read 998,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine728 View Post
Why do you think this is what prompted the offers??? Just curious how you would know?
i think what he's trying to say is that your average (amateur) interviewer would just answer questions, sit there, and hope they get a job... essentially just appearing to be a clone of the rest without anything standing out from the crowd. in the interviewer's eyes, there would be absolutely no reason why they would move forward with that person.

there needs to be some personality and emphasis about you when you're interviewing. in addition, you need to show that you WANT to work for the company and that comes from research and your own personal experiences/passion. along with your experiences, the combination of this together gives the interviewer a green light to say that you would be a good fit for the company.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:40 PM

577 posts, read 1,758,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutt Roh View Post
i think what he's trying to say is that your average (amateur) interviewer would just answer questions, sit there, and hope they get a job... essentially just appearing to be a clone of the rest without anything standing out from the crowd. in the interviewer's eyes, there would be absolutely no reason why they would move forward with that person.

there needs to be some personality and emphasis about you when you're interviewing. in addition, you need to show that you WANT to work for the company and that comes from research and your own personal experiences/passion. along with your experiences, the combination of this together gives the interviewer a green light to say that you would be a good fit for the company.
Ahh I took it as he knew that is what got him the offers specifically when unless they told him, he doesnt know if others also did that?

I've gotten an offer with every interview I've ever had with the exception of that federal one I wrote about earlier in this thread. But this time around.. I cant get to the actual interview point so until I do... I'll just keep plugging along hehehee

Old 06-13-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Ahh I took it as he knew that is what got him the offers specifically when unless they told him, he doesnt know if others also did that?

I've gotten an offer with every interview I've ever had with the exception of that federal one I wrote about earlier in this thread. But this time around.. I cant get to the actual interview point so until I do... I'll just keep plugging along hehehee
yeah, i know the government side of the house is a very long and arduous process. i have a friend who went through the application to interview to offer process in a timespan of 5 months.

i really hope you hear something soon or get your foot in the door for an interview. if you have linkedin, try to see if you see people on linkedin who hold the some job that you're applying for and perhaps message them about what to do.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:23 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
you're having multiple interviewers in one session? that changes the situation a little bit differently since my tip was geared for a 1-on-1 interview. even so, i would assume that you'd have some time after the interview where they ask if you have any questions for them.

in addition to questions about the job and company, i would ask them random stuff about themselves. maybe someone published an article in a magazine. perhaps someone won an award somewhere. or maybe they have extensive experience and/or background for the role you're applying for.

by the way, congrats on a follow-up interview! and good luck!
Thanks for your advice Rutt. I just had my interview and apparently, one of the interviewers was out so I was only interviewed by one individual. I felt confident that it went well. The next step would be a one on one interview with the head of the department then the decision will be made.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Thanks for your advice Rutt. I just had my interview and apparently, one of the interviewers was out so I was only interviewed by one individual. I felt confident that it went well. The next step would be a one on one interview with the head of the department then the decision will be made.
that is SO awesome! remember to send a thank you card to that interviewer and mail it out (try to next day it if possible). make sure to highlight some key points that were discussed during the interview and reemphasize why you'd rock out as a candidate

i'm happy for you and i hope you land this job! good luck!!

Old 06-15-2010, 06:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Why do you think this is what prompted the offers??? Just curious how you would know?

Because I did the same exact thing on all 3 interviews and it worked 3 times in a row.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:13 AM

right on TVandSportsGuy. as silly as this sounds, you do need to boost your interviewer(s)' egos and make it seem that you're extremely excited about the opportunity, versus just randomly applying. if you come across that way during the in-person interview, that'll win some big brownie points for you as compared with your competition.

keep this in mind: why would a company want to hire you if you really didn't care or show enthusiasm for the job you're applying for? to them, it'd be a wasted investment if they were to hire you.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:24 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
right on TVandSportsGuy. as silly as this sounds, you do need to boost your interviewer(s)' egos and make it seem that you're extremely excited about the opportunity, versus just randomly applying. if you come across that way during the in-person interview, that'll win some big brownie points for you as compared with your competition.

keep this in mind: why would a company want to hire you if you really didn't care or show enthusiasm for the job you're applying for? to them, it'd be a wasted investment if they were to hire you.

Yup, just like on a date. If the girl shows no enthusiam toward getting to know me and just comes across as uninterested then I would probably not call again

Old 06-16-2010, 12:39 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Yup, just like on a date. If the girl shows no enthusiam toward getting to know me and just comes across as uninterested then I would probably not call again

She hopes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search