Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:43 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times

Advertisements

Many people, in one of my job hunting classes, are feed up with Human Resources and hiring managers who act like Detective Joe Friday (from Dragnet) and aggressively ask why they lost their job after a layoff. Still to this day many people assume that if you lost your job you were likely fired. They will probe and probe for the real reason the candidate lost their job. They do not believe that they were laid off, instead they feel the applicant was in fact fired for cause and they are using the word layoff to hire their incompetence.

If you were fired in the past, did you tell potential employers that you were laid off. Is there really a difference in the opinion of the hiring manager? If you were any good anyway would they lay you off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 06:46 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Many people, in one of my job hunting classes, are feed up with Human Resources and hiring managers who act like Detective Joe Friday (from Dragnet) and aggressively ask why they lost their job after a layoff. Still to this day many people assume that if you lost your job you were likely fired. They will probe and probe for the real reason the candidate lost their job. They do not believe that they were laid off, instead they feel the applicant was in fact fired for cause and they are using the word layoff to hire their incompetence.

If you were fired in the past, did you tell potential employers that you were laid off. Is there really a difference in the opinion of the hiring manager? If you were any good anyway would they lay you off?
I think your right, I think they do make that assumption even though a little research would show differently.
I got laid off because I had been there longer and was making more money, I was in the first wave of layoffs with a HUGE group of people who also made more money.
The company declared bankruptcy and tried to hide it from the employees, I tried to warn my friends who remained behind to start looking but they didn't listen. The following year after they had closed all but one of their offices, the word came out they would be closing the office here in Lake Mary Florida and everyone who was not willing to move to Texas would be let go with NO SEVERANCE. At least I got severance.

A simple call to the company would tell them these facts are true but I get alot of people assuming I am lying from what I can tell.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:49 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
I think hiring managers have the right to make sure the person that they are interviewing is not using the economy as a cover up for past performance, incompetency or just firings. Desperate people will lie in order to get a job. The role of the interviewer is to assess the talent and sincerity of their work history, performance etc. Asking questions gets that done so I think it's justified.

As for who gets laid off. It's not just people who aren't performing (and in a good company those people would have already been terminated if managed properly). Salary, department costs, needs and many other factors go into mass layoffs. It's not just the non-performers getting the axe but many people who have significant experience and success as well.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:54 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,789,849 times
If you're worried about that, just assure them that your old supervisor will give you a great reference. That should handle any concerns about it not being a true layoff

Old 07-29-2009, 08:34 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times
Default Many people who were fired can get a good reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
If you're worried about that, just assure them that your old supervisor will give you a great reference. That should handle any concerns about it not being a true layoff
Many old managers will feel sorry for the person who they fired and give a good reference just so the person can get back on their feet. Especially if they were let go due to office politics or they made a good effort to perform but just did not have the skills.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,789,849 times
If you assure them that you come with good references, and that's not enough to stop them questioning the layoff, then that's one hell of a neurotic interviewer you've got on your hands. You can't account for everyone being completely sane or reasonable.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:16 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Are these 'HR people' under damn rocks or something? There is a serious recession in this country. Obviously many, many people were laid off.

Oh, yeah, everyone at GM was 'fired,' like all the real estate and mortgage people and everyone else involved in the hundreds of industries that crapped out since last Fall.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:29 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Are these 'HR people' under damn rocks or something? There is a serious recession in this country. Obviously many, many people were laid off.

Oh, yeah, everyone at GM was 'fired,' like all the real estate and mortgage people and everyone else involved in the hundreds of industries that crapped out since last Fall.
Someone please rep this person for me. I am on rep lockdown. Grrrr!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Someone please rep this person for me. I am on rep lockdown. Grrrr!
Thanks for the thought...! No rep necessary...I just hate bloody stupid people...

Old 07-29-2009, 10:30 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
Yep, I was "fired" along with 6000+ other people. We must have really screwed something up in that company. And I'm sure my old manager will feel "sorry" for me and write untruths about my work. But, oh yeah, she and her entire department were part of that 6000+ too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search