Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:43 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
and I have spoken with Elvis.
was this before or after he passed on to that great LV lounge in the sky ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 09:25 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
was this before or after he passed on to that great LV lounge in the sky ?
one time before, twice after.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 PM

853 posts, read 4,035,854 times
Are some of those statements listed on the job description? People most likely use language that matches (I know I do), so if you are getting much of the same wording, it's probably due to what is written on the job advertisement.

Last edited by Reneeme; 06-21-2010 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: error

Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 PM

6 posts, read 14,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
It is amazing how resumes all start looking alike after awhile! Here are the most common statements on the resumes I am reviewing for an Administrative Assistant position:

Great oral and written communications skills
Proficient In Microsoft Office
Eagar and willing to work hard
Excellent interpersonal skills
Excellent organizational skills
Quick Learner
Hard Worker
Team Player
Great Background

What do you think other hiring managers think when they see these statements on resumes?

I think they either did well in creative writing or hired someone to write their resume. People who have achieved something can usually put numbers to or name specific accomplishments. Folks who are 'team players' or "quick learners' either don't know how to sell themselves or don't have any real accomplishments.

However, if the person has had a good work history and held similar job titles in the past, I may still give them a shot for an admin position even if they had these colorful but useless phrases. It is just a phone call to further qualify someone.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
one time before, twice after.

okay now I'm green over the once before LOL

Too bad he would never fly to Oz.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaffRecruitTip View Post
I think they either did well in creative writing or hired someone to write their resume. People who have achieved something can usually put numbers to or name specific accomplishments. Folks who are 'team players' or "quick learners' either don't know how to sell themselves or don't have any real accomplishments.

However, if the person has had a good work history and held similar job titles in the past, I may still give them a shot for an admin position even if they had these colorful but useless phrases. It is just a phone call to further qualify someone.
The way I "pull it together" is basically put a selected few of those phrases in a cover letter (IF the ad states those phrases are what they're looking for in an applicant of course) and follow the phrase with an example of same.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:39 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,362 times
Yeah, it's just all part of the game. Like others say, you leave those things out and your resume just looks weak. It's a necessary evil basically. I find that the summary will usually have to contain B.S. like that but as long as the work history section is done well, then you will get calls/emails anyway. Just show what value you have provided to a business. Yeah, great, I did X for Y but what did I really do for this company?

Old 06-22-2010, 02:47 AM

154 posts, read 526,497 times
The resume experts say using stuff like I mentioned in my original post is just a waste of time. If these things are true sell the reader on your skills by describing a real life accomplishment that proves for example that you have excellent oral and written communication skills.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:20 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
The resume experts say using stuff like I mentioned in my original post is just a waste of time. If these things are true sell the reader on your skills by describing a real life accomplishment that proves for example that you have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Maybe you should print out the Dr Phil show page from when they gave tips.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Well when job announcements ask for vague things like "be a team player" or the things you wrote above, how can you blame the applicants for putting it in their cover letter?
I don't think "be a team player" is all that vague. I think places that put that know they have personality problems and are warning you that you will have to find a way to get along with difficult people. "Ability to work independently" can indicate the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search