Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:04 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,254,083 times

Advertisements

Depending on the type of job, education level, experience and job length history, would you interview or even hire someone who is 60 years old or older? Folks today say "age doesn't make a difference" when it comes to physical activities, but what about employment? With most, if not all, interviewers being 20 years or more younger than those applicants, what does the older generation do??
I'm really starting to think this about this age group: If a person in this age group isn't already retired from a company or City/State/Federal job OR fully employed, it is going to be mighty, mighty hard for that age group to get a job. True, it's continuing to be hard for many to find employment, but I'm not talking about "many", only those in this age bracket. Having no dates on a resume for certain things, such as military service or college, to me would be a "red flag" of questions, like: "why no dates?" or "is this person that old?"
Comments, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 11:15 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,127,015 times
Why not? We elect Congressman that are older than that. Don't we hire them?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:25 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,398,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Why not? We elect Congressman that are older than that. Don't we hire them?
Because those positions are short term. Voters are only thinking about the period of time until the next election. Also there are plenty of replacement so be found if the person in question dies in office.

My answer is that I would or would not based on the position at hand. I would in three situations:

1. The job requires no particular skill and workers are easily replaced.

2. The job requires a special skill this person has. (no training required on my part)

3. I'm looking for someone short term. (I don't care if the person taking the job leaves in 5 years).

If I'm looking for someone who might track into management, I'd pass because this person won't be around long enough to find out whether or not they are management material. While a younger worker may or may not quit or may or may not turn out to be management material, I know the old guy isn't/won't be around long enough. Unfortunately, when most companies hire, they hire with the idea in mind that they'd like some of their new hires to be long term employees and some of them to management track. Older workes are unlikely to do either.

It would be nice if companies designated some positions as positions to be filled frequently so that older workers can find work as well but there is nothing in it for the companies to do this. It would just be nice since older workers need jobs too and there are many jobs that aren't hurt if they're filled every 5 or so years.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:25 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,838,126 times
Speaking from personal experience, after being laid off in Jun '08, I was able to find a new job on Sept. 28th when I was one month shy of turning 64. My boss is likely15 years my junior and most of the others in my department are even younger than that but my age doesn't seem to be an issue for anyone. I should mention however that I don't really look my age, my skills were sharp, I got rave comments from my references and I generally associate with people much younger. Given the economy we're in, retiring is hardly at the forefront of my worries. I have pretty much decided to work until someone tells me to stop and I am fairly okay with that.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:02 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,796,911 times
Yes, I would. A 60 year old is less likely to need to take off for child related reasons, less likely to call in sick due to a hangover. Usually has a better work attitude than a recent graduate. Regarding Congress, as we have seen with recently departed Robert Byrd, that is a place where seniority rules. He was able to bring numerous projects to West Virginia. The exception is either a scandal, or in the case of Phil Crane from IL, someone who spent decades in Congress without doing much.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:04 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,978,079 times
Absolutely.

Unless they weighed 360 pounds.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:11 PM

8,882 posts, read 20,254,083 times
Another problem with hiring someone of that age bracket, of which I am, is the work restrictions from past surgeries that would be found out if a pre-employment physical is given. If an employer is looking for a "long term" employee, a person in that age bracket could be that, unless health issues/problems happened. A lot of the younger generation are't bother working with older people, while there are also a lot of they younger generation that are intimidated by older folks knowledge.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:30 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,748,935 times
I like working with old people. It makes me feel even younger!

Old 06-29-2010, 01:33 PM

548 posts, read 1,211,061 times
I would have no problem hiring someone that age or older as long as they were the best candidate.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 PM

154 posts, read 524,912 times
Generally not! I find that many applicants are over the hill and not as sharp and aggressive at that age and also are less likely to get along with their coworkers who are mostly in their 20s and 30s. Another problem with older workers is they are set in their ways and are not computer savvy which is the key to corporate office jobs. Others are coasting to retirement and are just putting in their time until social security.

On the other hand, while I am only in my 30s I do strongly consider applicants in their 40s and 50s because they have less drama and more self confidence than younger employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search