Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 10:47 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,195,395 times

Advertisements

Or they will give a BS/CYA reason. Sad but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 02:19 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,263,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Depending on the type of job, education level, experience and job length history, would you interview or even hire someone who is 60 years old or older? Folks today say "age doesn't make a difference" when it comes to physical activities, but what about employment? With most, if not all, interviewers being 20 years or more younger than those applicants, what does the older generation do??
I'm really starting to think this about this age group: If a person in this age group isn't already retired from a company or City/State/Federal job OR fully employed, it is going to be mighty, mighty hard for that age group to get a job. True, it's continuing to be hard for many to find employment, but I'm not talking about "many", only those in this age bracket. Having no dates on a resume for certain things, such as military service or college, to me would be a "red flag" of questions, like: "why no dates?" or "is this person that old?"
Comments, please.
Depending on the job, I would hire. If they have the skills and experience, why not? In fact, I think it could be advantageous. If it involves driving, however, probably not. I'd use common sense.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:16 AM

154 posts, read 525,586 times
Everyone can find exceptions where older workers are doing great or a friend or relative who is in his/her sixties find a job, BUT IN GENERAL most hiring managers and employers would like to see the 60 year old applicant worker disappear and be replaced by a younger worker. The proof of this is the terribly hard time middle age workers over age 50 are having obtaining or holding on to jobs. The job market is terrible for all ages but just miserable for the older worker.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,309 times
Default Its the Economy....

Most of these posts are pre-2008 great recession, therefore the reality is quite different today in 2012. Yes, I would hire but I am not an employer. Companies are not hiring 50 plus people, uf you lose your job in your 50 you are done. Retirement is not an option is reality. Unless you are willing to relocate to another state

Old 07-11-2012, 08:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,688,072 times
Regarding the employment agencies and proof of birth/citizenship/ss#...
employment agencies are HIRING you. They are your employer, you are employed by them, the moment they ask for your paperwork. They have agreed to provide you with work when/if suitable work becomes available, and you have agreed to perform it.

When they send you to a temp job, the company you're being sent to, is -not- your employer. The agency is. It's a contractual agreement you make with the agency. You're a contractor for hire, and the job they send you to is their client, who pays for the privilege of having someone else (the agency) do all the paperwork and payroll.

So that's why you have to submit your info to the agency. Because you are working for the agency. It's a done deal. You're a contractual employee, which means they don't have to pay you every week, unless they have work for you. Having been a temp for many years (mostly with Kelly Services), I'm pretty familiar with the ins and outs of applications.

Also, applications do still have a line to put the SS# on them, but you are not obligated to fill in that line. Further, if they refuse to interview you based on the fact that the line is not filled in, they can be held accountable for it. Same with date of birth. Military IDs no longer have SS# on them, and it is now forbidden for states to include the SS# on drivers licenses, and companies are no longer allowed to put the full ss# on paystubs of employees (they can include the last 4 digits).

Anyway - I'd still probably hire a 60 year old. I'm not in a managerial position, so I can't hire anyone, no matter what their age. I've worked alongside retirees who've returned to work, and seniors who never left it, and with few exceptions, they tend to be more hardworking, and appreciate hardworking peers.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:53 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,911,752 times
If it's for some sort of executive/management position, sure.

If it's for some sort of manual labor position, definitely not.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:26 PM

563 posts, read 1,267,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post

I agree with this.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:34 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,425,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post

I agree, but I would also say it depends on the strenuousness of the manual labor. I worked in a non-destructive testing facility before where it would have been considered manual/technical labor and I think someone 60+ could have handled the job as long as they had their mental facilities in tact. But lifting heavy equipment and what not, probably not.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:28 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,496,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Oh my Lord this is the funniest thing I've ever read!

Youngsters need to learn youth and agility is no match for experience in the ways of treachery. I'd eat your lunch and you wouldn't know it until it was gone.

And at what school do they teach youngsters to be "aggressive" (I hate that word) is the way to be? I get em all the time, little salesman in their little company car stop by to sell me stuff by being all aggressive and I'll ***** slap em just because I am bored and don't have anything else to do.

You don't make your way in this world by being aggressive. You think live is like Mad Max or Road Warrior? You make your way by being a man known for his honesty, integrity and for keeping his word. These are traits you learn with time.

Very well put. When the 30 y/o reaches 50, he will realize he is reaching his peak. I see a lot of 30 year olds that are more like 20 year olds now. I did far more than most 30 years now.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:13 AM

382 posts, read 801,470 times
Bad economy/Good economy somebody who is 60 should be preparing for retirement, not looking for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search