Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,944,768 times

Advertisements

A few years ago I was in a position where I interviewed a LOT of people and did a lot of hiring. Can I be 100% honest? My experience is that older workers are a much bigger risk than younger workers. There is no nice way to say this, but too many of them move too slow and too many of them can't adapt to changing environments quick enough. To make matters worse, a lot of the same people that I just referenced become a problem/cancer because they just can't accept that they are not doing a good job for these reasons.

What happened to me is that after awhile I got gun shy with older workers. I would still hire them, but only if I was VERY comfortable with them and very enthusiastic about their chances of being successful. Truthfully, this was about self preservation for me. I LIKE to see older people succeed and I genuinely wanted to give most of them a chance. But I'd be lieing if I said that they were not more risky than younger workers.

dys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 11:35 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,509,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
A few years ago I was in a position where I interviewed a LOT of people and did a lot of hiring. Can I be 100% honest? My experience is that older workers are a much bigger risk than younger workers. There is no nice way to say this, but too many of them move too slow and too many of them can't adapt to changing environments quick enough. To make matters worse, a lot of the same people that I just referenced become a problem/cancer because they just can't accept that they are not doing a good job for these reasons.

What happened to me is that after awhile I got gun shy with older workers. I would still hire them, but only if I was VERY comfortable with them and very enthusiastic about their chances of being successful. Truthfully, this was about self preservation for me. I LIKE to see older people succeed and I genuinely wanted to give most of them a chance. But I'd be lieing if I said that they were not more risky than younger workers.

dys

That is age discrimination.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:48 AM

833 posts, read 1,713,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
That is age discrimination.
That charge will be repeated often by workers who want to work til they drop and can't see they are no longer productive enough to justify their pay check.

I heard that time and time again from unproductive workers in their 70's who believed they were entitled to a full paycheck for just showing up.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:24 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,029,295 times
I love the notion that we're just supposed to toss older people out on the streets to die since they are "past peak productivity." Nice to see that we're okay with treating humans like cattle. "Oh, this cow is no longer giving enough milk - time to put her down... stash her next to the older workers we're gonna put down later today."

I hope many of these people realize that many old folks keep working because they *need* to, not because they want to... and no, it's not because they spent all their money on cruises... they probably spent most of it on medical care or overpriced housing, more glorious creations of open-loop capitalism that we're all supposed to love...

I also wonder how many of these people are willing to put themselves out to pasture and die quietly in the corner once they are no longer "productive?" Oh, but of course - that'll never happen to them... Just remember, somebody you'll be old and "past peak performance." It might be smart to support a society now that won't happily put you down later once your time comes.

Based upon my experiences, the number of useless workers is about the same at all ages... Let's be honest, most people don't grow old and suddenly say, "Eh, I'm going to change my whole personality and suddenly stop caring about work." No, it's just uselessness shows up in different forms. Useless old workers will have no clue about modern technology and will do very little. Useless young workers will spend all day looking busy and focus on ladder climbing or socializing, but the net effect is the same - the work doesn't get done.

As for me, sure I'd hire an older worker if he can do the job. Now, I probably wouldn't hire him for manual labor (though there may even be acceptions to that rule), and he would need to demonstrate that he's learned something of value in his decades of work experience since he will cost me more than a younger worker, but I don't think any of that will be a problem.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 AM

833 posts, read 1,713,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I love the notion that we're just supposed to toss older people out on the streets to die since they are "past peak productivity." Nice to see that we're okay with treating humans like cattle. "Oh, this cow is no longer giving enough milk - time to put her down... stash her next to the older workers we're gonna put down later today."

I hope many of these people realize that many old folks keep working because they *need* to, not because they want to... and no, it's not because they spent all their money on cruises... they probably spent most of it on medical care or overpriced housing, more glorious creations of open-loop capitalism that we're all supposed to love...

I also wonder how many of these people are willing to put themselves out to pasture and die quietly in the corner once they are no longer "productive?" Oh, but of course - that'll never happen to them... Just remember, somebody you'll be old and "past peak performance." It might be smart to support a society now that won't happily put you down later once your time comes.

Based upon my experiences, the number of useless workers is about the same at all ages... Let's be honest, most people don't grow old and suddenly say, "Eh, I'm going to change my whole personality and suddenly stop caring about work." No, it's just uselessness shows up in different forms. Useless old workers will have no clue about modern technology and will do very little. Useless young workers will spend all day looking busy and focus on ladder climbing or socializing, but the net effect is the same - the work doesn't get done.

As for me, sure I'd hire an older worker if he can do the job. Now, I probably wouldn't hire him for manual labor (though there may even be acceptions to that rule), and he would need to demonstrate that he's learned something of value in his decades of work experience since he will cost me more than a younger worker, but I don't think any of that will be a problem.

A business is in place to turn a profit.

Their purpose is not to be the county welfare office giving out checks just because people show up !
Folks who say they will work until they die better be self employed, because most companies will not tolerate catering to someone's wishes.

You state younger workers can be unproductive as well.
True.

But management can fire those w/o being held hostage by threats of a discrimination lawsuit.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:12 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,029,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
A business is in place to turn a profit.

Their purpose is not to be the county welfare office giving out checks just because people show up !
Folks who say they will work until they die better be self employed, because most companies will not tolerate catering to someone's wishes.

You state younger workers can be unproductive as well.
True.

But management can fire those w/o being held hostage by threats of a discrimination lawsuit.
So, if it is most profitable to only hire people under 30 years old and in perfect health, you'd be fine with that? You know, just let everyone else die off... because they are less profitable, and because even though big business controls everything and is the only effective way for people to find employment to pay their bills, we're not supposed to hold them accountable for anything more than making a quick buck?

I also love the notion that employing older workers who are past their peak but still doing their job is "welfare" - I assume you'll gladly turn yourself in to the Population Reduction Board once you're past your working prime... after all, it would be "welfare" if they kept you employed if some younger and cheaper person wanted your job even if you were still performing. Oh, but of course that won't happen to you... Oh, no - you'll "start your own business" or some other nonsense that is not in any way financial viable for over 90% of the population, particularly those who are facing old age and the costs associated with it.

Yep, let's just kick the old people out on the streets! Logan's Run is great model for our society - can't have the corporations spend a thin dime on some guy who might cost a bit more than somebody else, now can we? That might get in the way of an executive buying a bigger yacht...

Old 07-13-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
That charge will be repeated often by workers who want to work til they drop and can't see they are no longer productive enough to justify their pay check.

I heard that time and time again from unproductive workers in their 70's who believed they were entitled to a full paycheck for just showing up.

It's not your place to decide who gets to work and who doesn't, and why...

Obviously many employers see older, experienced workers doing a great job.

Your logic is the same as saying that married women shouldn't work because they are just making a second income and they don't really need the job. Doesn't matter if they are working and the money is just vacation money or spent at Macy's. It is their choice.

In this day and age, very few get away with being employed and NOT being productive. The only ones doing that are the ones who are friends of the bosses.

What you describe is just plain Age Discrimination.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
So, if it is most profitable to only hire people under 30 years old and in perfect health, you'd be fine with that? You know, just let everyone else die off... because they are less profitable, and because even though big business controls everything and is the only effective way for people to find employment to pay their bills, we're not supposed to hold them accountable for anything more than making a quick buck?

I also love the notion that employing older workers who are past their peak but still doing their job is "welfare" - I assume you'll gladly turn yourself in to the Population Reduction Board once you're past your working prime... after all, it would be "welfare" if they kept you employed if some younger and cheaper person wanted your job even if you were still performing. Oh, but of course that won't happen to you... Oh, no - you'll "start your own business" or some other nonsense that is not in any way financial viable for over 90% of the population, particularly those who are facing old age and the costs associated with it.

Yep, let's just kick the old people out on the streets! Logan's Run is great model for our society - can't have the corporations spend a thin dime on some guy who might cost a bit more than somebody else, now can we? That might get in the way of an executive buying a bigger yacht...

People promoting such ideas think they are going to ride above it, and their time will never come.

It seems a lot of people who promote this age discrimination thing are older, too. They just want privileges and to be treated special.

Things will be far worse for them when they are older, because this stuff will get worse. Unless the nation tanks because our economy is getting worse. As more companies leave American soil, all we will have are low pay service jobs.

We went from an Agrarian world, to a Manufacturing world, to a Service world.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:12 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,366 times
I love how people think their all above it all. I will never get sick end up handicapped or laid off. I mean nothing bad will ever happen to them. They are special but were all going to get older if we keep living. I mean 95% of us our number is going to come up. We are going to get laid off have health issues people are working longer because they have to. People are like I will have my 401k. What a joke I save the market goes up and down like a ping pong ball. I am young forget social security and rest it will be gone when I retire. So in 30 years I have made all the right calls. Have 500k in a 401k sounds great right? The big problem I will be getting a whole 2% to 4% on my money less then 20k before taxes. The US will have to keep rates low to deal with it's debt. Things will get worse I can not land a job now. It will be no better when I am 60. Give the old timers a break they need jobs like the rest of us.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
I love how people think their all above it all. I will never get sick end up handicapped or laid off. I mean nothing bad will ever happen to them. They are special but were all going to get older if we keep living. I mean 95% of us our number is going to come up. We are going to get laid off have health issues people are working longer because they have to. People are like I will have my 401k. What a joke I save the market goes up and down like a ping pong ball. I am young forget social security and rest it will be gone when I retire. So in 30 years I have made all the right calls. Have 500k in a 401k sounds great right? The big problem I will be getting a whole 2% to 4% on my money less then 20k before taxes. The US will have to keep rates low to deal with it's debt. Things will get worse I can not land a job now. It will be no better when I am 60. Give the old timers a break they need jobs like the rest of us.

You are right on. It isn't the young against the old and it never was.

One thing you can count on happening to those people, who think they are above it all, is that they will age. Nothing is more ridiculous than hearing people who are 40 think they are old.

Payback is karma, and one knows these people will be at the mercy of their own doing.

If the government raises the SS age to 70, more people will be forced to live much longer. Most people cannot live off the SS they get anyway, with the inflation out there.

When there were a lot of jobs in the USA, and the government didn't have a tsunami of people coming into this country, there were different levels or tiers of jobs. If you were experienced, they needed that, but some places wanted someone fresh out of college, or no college, and they'd PAY YOU to come and be trained. Imagine that...being compensated, and it was a livable wage with benefits...for your time and effort to learn to come on board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search