Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 01:09 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000
PS: I'd love to know how you know they're 60 since it's illegal to ask.
It doesn't matter if they were born before 1950 or not.

It matters if they look like they were or they "seem" like they were.

Someone who is 70 and is fit, doesn't smoke and mentally alert
might "seem" like they were younger than ...
the fat, chain-smoking, Dances With the Stars watching
50-year-old that had the interview slot just before.

Actual, chronological age does not matter since,
like it or not, we are all judged on appearance.

... if I could just do something about my face ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 07:09 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
What that tells me is they're begging for a lawsuit, since asking you when you graduated HS is the same as asking you your age.

Really? Which one?

Again I'd love to know what staffing agency "requires" this.

I question if any such web site is truly reliable, never mind the idea of an employer using it (and partly for that reason).
Every application I can remember filling out has asked about education including year of graduation and what you studied.

Yes, employers...including staffing agencies...make copies of both drivers license and social security card. It's for citizenship verification purposes. Not that either can't be faked but they've been doing it for years now.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:17 PM

[quote=LoveBoating;14869950]Another thing about this "50's/60's" age bracket, not all of us have a college degree and that can definitely hurt today! My wife use to work in the Accounting Dept for a major communications company as a Staff Accountant. She HAD to have a Bachelor's Degree to get the job.....of which she has. We were are a local hometown parade talking to a lady in her late 40's who was searching for an Accounting job. My wife told her to go to the company she works for and apply. I immediately looked at the lady and asked "do you have a Bachelors Degree in Business/Accounting?", she said "no". I looked at my wife and my wife told her "sorry, but the company and my manager won't hire anyone into the Accounting Dept that doesn't have a Bachelor's Degree." This lady looked at us and said, "what ever happened to good old years of experience was all that was needed?" And, now (2010) my wife is looking for a permanent type job and finding out that more and more places are now asking for the CPA certification, plus a Bachelor's Degree. We are both too old and lack finances to go after college degrees and certifications anymore.ridiculous Going after a "higher education" at our age is ridiculous when this generation of interviewers find it hard (or simply DON'T WANT TO) hire someone in our age bracket in the first place![/quote]

I'm sorry you feel that way about furthering your education. We have a very good community college here and I see people in their 50s, 60s and even 70s, still taking classes. I still do too, now and then, but not for any kind of degree. I just still like to learn things and I enjoy it. They have special programs for seniors as well and help to pay for it.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:30 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
To AZDesertBrat: I furthered my education by taking two online classes in 2003 and one in 2008. Have both on my resume and not one interviewer (phone or in-person) has made a comment about the classes. And, they were directly related to what I do for employment!! I haven't got the money or time to pursue a Bachelor's Degree or to become a CPM (Certified Purchasing Manager) or CPIM (Certified in Production and Inventory Management) like my last supervisor was. I truely don't think employers out there care "diddly" about what kind/how many classes a person takes, what they care about/what to see the that piece of paper that says "Degree" on it or "Certified in......". In fact, even though my last supervisor did have the Bachelor's Degree and that certification, he told me right out "I care less about college education". And, after I told him about my previous related military (Navy) experience, he told me that he didn't care about that either.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
To AZDesertBrat: I furthered my education by taking two online classes in 2003 and one in 2008. Have both on my resume and not one interviewer (phone or in-person) has made a comment about the classes. And, they were directly related to what I do for employment!! I haven't got the money or time to pursue a Bachelor's Degree or to become a CPM (Certified Purchasing Manager) or CPIM (Certified in Production and Inventory Management) like my last supervisor was. I truely don't think employers out there care "diddly" about what kind/how many classes a person takes, what they care about/what to see the that piece of paper that says "Degree" on it or "Certified in......". In fact, even though my last supervisor did have the Bachelor's Degree and that certification, he told me right out "I care less about college education". And, after I told him about my previous related military (Navy) experience, he told me that he didn't care about that either.
Sounds like you've run into some worse people out there than I have...and I've met my share in my job hunting experiences. I worked ten years in bookkeeping and accounting but when I wanted to get out of the hospitality industry I went to the college and took ALL the courses I would need to get updated. I wanted back into it. I learned a LOT that should have helped...but it didn't. I had never done Power Point or Excell before either but did really well in my classes. Another case of being "too old" I think. That's when I started doing courses 'just for fun'. I understand how you feel about it all though. It just sounded kind of defeatist a little.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:48 PM

490 posts, read 1,787,766 times
I'd give a 60+ a job if the person really needs it and qualifies for it. Over the years I noticed people that should be retired yet refuse. They stay on the job way to long and sometimes take the job from someone that has a family to feed. The best place for a 60+ is either retired to enjoy life or volunteering. Of course there are cases where people can't financially retire so having a soft heart, I would do my best to help on a case by case situation.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:33 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Every application I can remember filling out has asked about education including year of graduation and what you studied.

Yes, employers...including staffing agencies...make copies of both drivers license and social security card. It's for citizenship verification purposes. Not that either can't be faked but they've been doing it for years now.
Employers are required to verify citizenship AFTER a job has been offered and accepted. They're not allowed to require that information during the interview process. They can ask for it. But a -prospective- employee is not required to give it, and if the employer refuses to hire based on the refusal to give citizenship information -prior- to the offer of the job, then the employer can be sued for discrimination.

Same as with age. They can ask. But they -cannot- require that the applicant answer. Operative word being applicant. As soon as the person has been hired, they can require this information.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:09 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA where you got your information below!!
An agency or company can ask on written application your birthday or what year a person graduated from high school and/or what years a person was in the military!
Employment agencies ask for a DL/SS card when they interview a person for a job......so you can be in their, even if the client of the agency doesn't want you. And, what happens if an applicant refuses to give their birth date, when asked? Bad idea to withhold the info if asked. Some agencies and companies can tell how old a person is by looking at them and/or by the way they dress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Employers are required to verify citizenship AFTER a job has been offered and accepted. They're not allowed to require that information during the interview process. They can ask for it. But a -prospective- employee is not required to give it, and if the employer refuses to hire based on the refusal to give citizenship information -prior- to the offer of the job, then the employer can be sued for discrimination.

Same as with age. They can ask. But they -cannot- require that the applicant answer. Operative word being applicant. As soon as the person has been hired, they can require this information.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

I didn't think I had to qualify that they do those things AFTER a person is hired. They don't ask for them during the hiring process and it never occured to me that anyone would. I've never had anyone do that. The only thing I was commenting on as far as APPLYING for a job is the fact that they DO ask about education and grad year which would tell anyone, who knows a little math, how old a person is.

Personally I don't even put my SS number on an application. I tell them they can have it if I'm hired. If they ask why, I ask THEM is they've ever had a problem with ID theft and/or fraud. They will tell me they need it for a background check and, if it seems pretty positive I'll be hired, I'll give it to them. I just went through that and they were okay with it. And I DID get hired.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:30 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
I'd give a 60+ a job if the person really needs it and qualifies for it. Over the years I noticed people that should be retired yet refuse. They stay on the job way to long and sometimes take the job from someone that has a family to feed. The best place for a 60+ is either retired to enjoy life or volunteering. Of course there are cases where people can't financially retire so having a soft heart, I would do my best to help on a case by case situation.
Excuse me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search