Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 02:08 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times

Advertisements

Following my other thread, this is another question I expect to receive.

This one is even broader and more vague.

To recap, the interview is for a management analyst position working directly for the head of our office (about 600 people).

The job is sort of a right hand person type of thing. Researching statistics and data, writing reports, preparing information to be presented elsewhere, reviewing and analysing data and work processes, recommending changes, solutions, improvements. Working with various people at different levels of the organization to provide info, resolve problems, etc.

Now, I know the idea in answering this question is to tie it into some of the main skills the position requires. However, it leaves the topic up to almost anything.

I generally hate to use personal stuff, hobbies, outside (non work) interestes, because it leaves too much room to ramble on about inconsequential detials. Yet, I feel many of those details are often needed to properly convey understanding so the meat of the response makes sense.

I also hate to use more recent accomplishments, since they are my strongest examples of my abilities. Such a vague question just does not seem to beg my best bullett to respond with, since a more detailed and probing questing may call for that situation.

So I was thinking maybe it is best if I rely on something from the past. I have some experience from another job, in a different industry, with a lot of relavant skill. It is also not directly related to the job I have now, and as such won't be rehashing the same experience I will speak about in other questions. Once concern I have is the experience was a long time ago (9 years) and as such it is not the most relavant experience anymore due to age. Still, it highlights skills, does not deprive me of better experince with I will have, or can use elsewhere in the interview, and will allow me to provide a focused example that will require some explanation, but not go into details of a hobby or something the interviewer will have little interest in hearing.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach to a response? Am I going to put too much emphasis on stale experience? Or am I way off here?

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 05:51 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
You could say : " Well I am a recovering Serial Killer who was let out of prison after 26 years " ( jk )

I am being facetious but I think they want the dish on the good and the bad about how well you dealt with your last job and how you overcame an obstacle.

I think its just your moment to really tell them about yourself .

Old 07-01-2010, 09:54 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I also hate to use more recent accomplishments, since they are my strongest examples of my abilities.

Frankly I hate vague BS questions like this, as there's no way to know what they're looking for - but I think your approach sounds fine, as long as you highlight some skills and/or experience which you can tie back to why you're a great candidate that is.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:12 AM

72 posts, read 368,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Following my other thread, this is another question I expect to receive.

This one is even broader and more vague.

To recap, the interview is for a management analyst position working directly for the head of our office (about 600 people).

The job is sort of a right hand person type of thing. Researching statistics and data, writing reports, preparing information to be presented elsewhere, reviewing and analysing data and work processes, recommending changes, solutions, improvements. Working with various people at different levels of the organization to provide info, resolve problems, etc.

Now, I know the idea in answering this question is to tie it into some of the main skills the position requires. However, it leaves the topic up to almost anything.

I generally hate to use personal stuff, hobbies, outside (non work) interestes, because it leaves too much room to ramble on about inconsequential detials. Yet, I feel many of those details are often needed to properly convey understanding so the meat of the response makes sense.

I also hate to use more recent accomplishments, since they are my strongest examples of my abilities. Such a vague question just does not seem to beg my best bullett to respond with, since a more detailed and probing questing may call for that situation.

So I was thinking maybe it is best if I rely on something from the past. I have some experience from another job, in a different industry, with a lot of relavant skill. It is also not directly related to the job I have now, and as such won't be rehashing the same experience I will speak about in other questions. Once concern I have is the experience was a long time ago (9 years) and as such it is not the most relavant experience anymore due to age. Still, it highlights skills, does not deprive me of better experince with I will have, or can use elsewhere in the interview, and will allow me to provide a focused example that will require some explanation, but not go into details of a hobby or something the interviewer will have little interest in hearing.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach to a response? Am I going to put too much emphasis on stale experience? Or am I way off here?

Thanks for any input!

The answer is

I'm lazy and don't want to work but I have to work so HERE I AM.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:09 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,041,763 times
I think it is more of a 'how quickly can she think' question. I would say something stupid like No one knows I watch Jeopardy every night or no one knows I have 6 different kinds of cooking oils in the kitchen cabinet and then go into how much I love cooking. I think they want to see your personality and see you are not all about robotic work and have no common sense/social skills.

Plenty of questions and your resume showcase your talent. The other stuff id to ask about the stuff outside of your resume.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:36 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
How about:

"Well, if I tell you, then you'll know. And then it won't be something you don't know about me, which would disqualify the question. So my answer is: many things."

Old 07-02-2010, 07:34 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,012 times
Things like these I normally would make a quick joke like, "Well I don't think you know much about me so this should be easy." Then I should have had the time to think of something the interviewer would like to hear.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:36 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
translation--- tell us why we should hire you.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:43 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Not quite, because if your telling them why they should hire you includes stuff you've already said, you didn't really answer the question, and failure to grasp and/or correctly answer a question could knock you right out.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:16 AM

274 posts, read 998,081 times
i think this is a really good question that usually throws off most candidates as they're probably not expecting it. this is the perfect opportunity for you to share something unique about yourself as it pertains to the management analyst position you're applying for.

for instance, if there was something you specifically did along the lines of a trend analysis or data management for senior execs that became a company-wide benchmark, definitely say that. if you have one, you can also mention about a personal (could be humorous) experience as it relates to the job responsibilities/tasks of the position. if you're able to do that in a tasteful manner, you'd definitely stick out in the interviewer's mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search