Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:44 AM

610 posts, read 3,016,296 times

Advertisements

Has anyone on here who is having trouble finding a job ever think about "creating" a job?

If so, what types of jobs do you have in mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 11:14 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
Sorry, no. I lack imagination. And want benefits.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:48 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,084,769 times
Sure, but it takes money to do that and I'm broke.

I would run and operate a no-kill animal shelter if I had the space and money to do so. That is my passion and what I would love doing most.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:33 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
I have had a few friends do it. One created a computer consulting company, another became a professional photographer and another became a personal trainer.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Has anyone on here who is having trouble finding a job ever think about "creating" a job?

If so, what types of jobs do you have in mind?
I pee a lot. So I use a lot of public restrooms when I am out and about doing errands on a daily basis. I have noticed that MOST public restrooms are FILTHY beyond description because the employees do not care whether or not they do a good job cleaning them. I find this particularly disturbing in restaurants. My mother once told me to take a look at the bathroom at a restaurant and you will get an idea what the kitchen looks like.

Yeech

I always thought I would create a business where I went around cleaning bathrooms! LOL. It appears to be a profession that is in big demand. Obviously, however, the management does not care much either, so I doubt I would get much interest. Also, I doubt that they would be willing to pay enough to make it worth my while.

That is the problem with "creating" your own job. Most people do not want to even pay a living wage for services or products that they would buy from you.

I had been trying to get a business going cleaning condominiums here in Branson because the housekeeping departments are really, truly awful. But when I told them I wanted $100 to clean a three bedroom, three bath condo (which takes about 2.5 hours), nobody would pay it. They wanted to pay $45.

People think you should work your butt off for nothing. It's tough. It really is.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-07-2010, 03:37 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I pee a lot. So I use a lot of public restrooms when I am out and about doing errands on a daily basis. I have noticed that MOST public restrooms are FILTHY beyond description because the employees do not care whether or not they do a good job cleaning them. I find this particularly disturbing in restaurants. My mother once told me to take a look at the bathroom at a restaurant and you will get an idea what the kitchen looks like.

Yeech

I always thought I would create a business where I went around cleaning bathrooms! LOL. It appears to be a profession that is in big demand. Obviously, however, the management does not care much either, so I doubt I would get much interest. Also, I doubt that they would be willing to pay enough to make it worth my while.

That is the problem with "creating" your own job. Most people do not want to even pay a living wage for services or products that they would buy from you.

I had been trying to get a business going cleaning condominiums here in Branson because the housekeeping departments are really, truly awful. But when I told them I wanted $100 to clean a three bedroom, three bath condo (which takes about 2.5 hours), nobody would pay it. They wanted to pay $45.

People think you should work your butt off for nothing. It's tough. It really is.

20yrsinBranson
And, then there's the issue of liability.

I also considered starting my own cleaning business.

When I looked into liability insurance for a cleaning business / independent contractor I discovered that it would cost $1200 a year and that is paid upfront.
The premium is considered "fully earned"... so there's no refund if, in a couple of months you realize that you aren't making it... you're out $1,200.
That's $100 a month liability insurance plus your Health Insurance at about $400 per month before you even walk out your door.

One family actually printed out a spreadsheet and wanted me to come in to do only certain things each week on a rotating schedule to keep from actually paying me to fully clean their house....

Cleaning houses for people has really evolved.

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-07-2010 at 04:16 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 03:45 PM

53 posts, read 125,993 times
I would love to start a doggy daycare. I knew some people who did this.

Self employment is a mixed bag. Theoretically you have more freedom, but:
1. you pay much higher taxes
2. no guarantee of a paycheck
3. no benefits, you buy them if you want them and they are not cheap
4. you buy all your own equipment and supplies
5. it's risky to take any time off - you might lose customers
6. you could end up working at all hours of the day/night, even if you had other plans
7. when business is slow, rather than enjoy a vacation you need to network to find more business.
8. you need to do all your administrative work & bookkeeping on your own time.
9. you end up getting paid for about 70% of the time you work, at least that's been my experience.

I find it very anxiety producing now, but some people thrive on it and do well. I wouldn't choose to be a self employed contractor again, but I would consider starting a business, with a LOT of planning.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:22 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Expand the service industry.

Lots of isolated lonely people out there. Have thought, many times, of creating a Rent-a-Companion/Friend business of catering to them.

And not just to the elderly, as there's lonely people out there of all ages.

Some people would just love to have someone listen to them for an hour.
Or just have someone to talk to for an hour, or take a walk with someone, or have lunch with someone of their kind. Or take a short vacation with someone, as there's many people out there who refuse to travel alone or do things alone. Or armchair untrained psychiatrist?

As our society becomes increasingly isolated, I really believe there's a future for a business of this kind. What do you think?

Old 02-08-2010, 03:35 AM

233 posts, read 744,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadley831 View Post
I would love to start a doggy daycare. I knew some people who did this.

Self employment is a mixed bag. Theoretically you have more freedom, but:
1. you pay much higher taxes
2. no guarantee of a paycheck
3. no benefits, you buy them if you want them and they are not cheap
4. you buy all your own equipment and supplies
5. it's risky to take any time off - you might lose customers
6. you could end up working at all hours of the day/night, even if you had other plans
7. when business is slow, rather than enjoy a vacation you need to network to find more business.
8. you need to do all your administrative work & bookkeeping on your own time.
9. you end up getting paid for about 70% of the time you work, at least that's been my experience.

I find it very anxiety producing now, but some people thrive on it and do well. I wouldn't choose to be a self employed contractor again, but I would consider starting a business, with a LOT of planning.
or you could always go work a 9 to 5 where you

1. Hate your job
2. are Overworked and Undercompensated
3. seen as Disposable
4. get Limited vacation time
5. Put up with office politics/crap
6. don't know if you will have a job next week in this economy
7. are at a dead end job
8. have people telling you how much your worth and what to do
9. hate your life

Old 02-08-2010, 03:53 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
People seem to tell me this quite a lot. It's up there with 'think out of the box.'
Call me lazy if you want but I don't want to work at my own business and be an entrepreneur.

Is that so wrong?

I just want to go to work and do something useful, get paid for it, and forget about it till the next day.

I also know where I live now, starting a business would be a waste of time, even if I had an idea. There is very little money here for 'service work.' The volunteer section is bigger than the job section of the paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search