Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 04:42 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,207 times

Advertisements

Because of the recession the locus of control has shifted from employee to employer it seems like. Potential employees far outnumber the pool of available positions (yeah I know what you are thinking...tell me something I DON'T KNOW lol and employers know this. If they let someone go, there are going to be 50 other potentials waiting to take his/her place. It is kind of like dating in a region where the guys really outnumer the gals or vice versa. The group that has the most choices will be in the catbird seat. Has anyone out there noticed how picky employers have gotten in the past two years?

McJobs anyone?? I don't know if I'm ever gonna get A JOB, period. We'll see....til then, thank God for my SSDI....and eBay earnings...

Good luck to the job seekers out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 05:27 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,630 times
Great attitude...

Old 07-14-2010, 05:30 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,694 times
Well to go by your dating analogy ... are there ever a lack of guys going after a hot single woman? Gotta join in the competition and try to win at some point. You have nothing to lose if you keep applying for jobs.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:38 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
And what's wrong with a McJob? If I were desperate for work, I'd take a McJob, any hours, any kind of work, in a heartbeat. There are always openings at fast-food places because today's kids think they "deserve" better kind of work.

I've already posted how I cleaned repossessed houses, most of which had no electricity, in the summer, when I was out of work. You wont find a more disgusting job. And, on the weekends, I cleaned the kennels and potty areas for a vet. I didnt complain; I was happy to be earning $$$ at a time when I needed it.

My biggest gripe is that I hear parents complain, all the time, that, after paying for daycare, they'd clear only @ $150-200 per week at certain jobs. That's $600-800 to be earned honestly and with dignity. Of course, it's not as "desirable" as sitting home on the computer 24/7 while collecting $600-800 in welfare.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:32 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,741 times
Agh he good life, eating off the backs of people who actually contribute to society. I bet you think you're entitled to free healthcare too.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:43 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
A) Please do tell me where there are a lack of guys and an excess of women. I want to move there!

B) This post makes no sense. You hate employers, yet you still want to work for them. That's like saying that you hate veggies but are going to try to become a vegetarian. No logic there. You have alternatives to working for an employer. The simplest of them is to start your own business.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:29 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A) Please do tell me where there are a lack of guys and an excess of women. I want to move there!

B) This post makes no sense. You hate employers, yet you still want to work for them. That's like saying that you hate veggies but are going to try to become a vegetarian. No logic there. You have alternatives to working for an employer. The simplest of them is to start your own business.
Employers are very much like vegetables. They don't taste good but you better eat them to stay healthy. Employers are the same thing. You don't really like them but you need them to stay gainfully employed.

And what kind of business do you suggest someone open? A dogwalking business? I mean there are enough fluff small business owners out there. Maybe he should sell Mona Vie? How about that? Maybe we should all go into business for ourselves? Screw corporate America eh?

Maybe corporate America needs to start giving back, paying people what they're worth, etc. There's a thought. It's easy to say start your own business. Obviously you have no clue what it takes to start a genuine business that actually produces something needed by society. Not some fluff dogwalking or cupcake business.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:55 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
Well to go by your dating analogy ... are there ever a lack of guys going after a hot single woman? Gotta join in the competition and try to win at some point. You have nothing to lose if you keep applying for jobs.
In the dating analogy, in this economy the women aren't so hot but the competition is fierce. Or for women, there aren't that many guys so its hard to even get a jerk. Expect an improvement when the economy comes back. Some even talk about a talent war. Hope you have some! And regarding McJobs: they aren't as bad as you think. I read the story of someone who works for them and loves it, has advanced and enjoys good pay and benefits.

Last edited by pvande55; 07-15-2010 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: Add a line

Old 07-15-2010, 12:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Employers are very much like vegetables. They don't taste good but you better eat them to stay healthy. Employers are the same thing. You don't really like them but you need them to stay gainfully employed.

And what kind of business do you suggest someone open? A dogwalking business? I mean there are enough fluff small business owners out there. Maybe he should sell Mona Vie? How about that? Maybe we should all go into business for ourselves? Screw corporate America eh?

Maybe corporate America needs to start giving back, paying people what they're worth, etc. There's a thought. It's easy to say start your own business. Obviously you have no clue what it takes to start a genuine business that actually produces something needed by society. Not some fluff dogwalking or cupcake business.
Um, I do know something about starting my own business. I did it because I didn't want to rely completely on a corporate America where someone else is in control. If someone puts 8 hours/day into making a business successful, there's a good chance it will work. I don't see why you are so negative about the idea.

I have a software consulting business, and a job placement business. I am also in the process of working with my gf's mom to help her open her own franchised daycare.

It may be a little tougher for the unemployed to start their own business in this economy. Hopefully congress will push banks to open up lending to small business owners. Banks are being tightwads right now. But if someone hates being at mercy of employers, then this is something they should have done when the opportunity was greater several years ago.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:08 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Um, I do know something about starting my own business. I did it because I didn't want to rely completely on a corporate America where someone else is in control. If someone puts 8 hours/day into making a business successful, there's a good chance it will work. I don't see why you are so negative about the idea.

I have a software consulting business, and a job placement business. I am also in the process of working with my gf's mom to help her open her own franchised daycare.

It may be a little tougher for the unemployed to start their own business in this economy. Hopefully congress will push banks to open up lending to small business owners. Banks are being tightwads right now. But if someone hates being at mercy of employers, then this is something they should have done when the opportunity was greater several years ago.
I'm not being negative my friend. My point is America is saturated with services based small businesses such as "consulting" and daycare. Those type of businesses only create jobs and add to the bottomline for a handful of people. We need small mom and pop type businesses that actually produce products that we use to run our society and live our lives. And you and I can agree that the biggest problem is that banks aren't lending to mom and pop type people anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search