Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:00 AM

299 posts, read 1,132,553 times

Advertisements

So, well over a month ago I had an interview with a company and it went very well. Then I had a second interview the following week and it too went well. Now they told me I will have to interview again with the "big cheese" that I would be supporting as an assistant.

One week went by and nothing. So, I wrote a "ping" thank you note to the company recruiter. She told be to "hang in there" and that I would hear from someone next week regarding the third interview. Now it's been going on two weeks so I sent an email yesterday asking what the status was on the job and I got an out of office reply. She won't be back until Friday. Now, next week is a "short week" so I doubt I will have an interview by that time.

I am leaving out of the country (planned this trip 8 months ago) and Ill be gone for two weeks. Before you all jump on me for traveling on my dream vacation, my husband is a foreigner and his parents are quite elderly so we see them once a year if we can.

So, my question is this, should I let this person know I will be overseas starting on Sept 23rd for two weeks? Murphy's Law would have it that they will want a third interview on the day I leave

They are clearly in NO hurry to hire for this position. The position is still "open" on their website so I am sure they are still picking and choosing because they can.

Do I just continue to wait and wait?? Send an email to let her know I will be overseas??

Why do companies take SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long???????? UGH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 11:06 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
So, well over a month ago I had an interview with a company and it went very well. Then I had a second interview the following week and it too went well. Now they told me I will have to interview again with the "big cheese" that I would be supporting as an assistant.

One week went by and nothing. So, I wrote a "ping" thank you note to the company recruiter. She told be to "hang in there" and that I would hear from someone next week regarding the third interview. Now it's been going on two weeks so I sent an email yesterday asking what the status was on the job and I got an out of office reply. She won't be back until Friday. Now, next week is a "short week" so I doubt I will have an interview by that time.

I am leaving out of the country (planned this trip 8 months ago) and Ill be gone for two weeks. Before you all jump on me for traveling on my dream vacation, my husband is a foreigner and his parents are quite elderly so we see them once a year if we can.

So, my question is this, should I let this person know I will be overseas starting on Sept 23rd for two weeks? Murphy's Law would have it that they will want a third interview on the day I leave

They are clearly in NO hurry to hire for this position. The position is still "open" on their website so I am sure they are still picking and choosing because they can.

Do I just continue to wait and wait?? Send an email to let her know I will be overseas??

Why do companies take SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long???????? UGH!
Why do companies take SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long????????

Good question, considering that the private sector is supposed to be a semblance of efficiency. Haha, not so much.

Just wait until next week. If you have not informed them yet that you'll be out of town, I would do that the following week. The rest is up to them.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
I think you absolutely need to let them know. Make sure to put verbiage in the communication as to how long you've had the trip planned. I wouldn't use the word "vacation".

Say something like "I am scheduled to leave on September 12th, but I would gladly make myself available any time before then, should it be necessary. If not, I will be back on the 25th."

Also ... companies often hire in groups, to streamline "orientation". They may be waiting to fill other [unrelated] spots, before bringing you in.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:42 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
You want the company to work around your travel dates, but you're getting bent out of shape about their's???

For a professional job, six weeks is an extremely expedited schedule for interviewing, decision-making, offer negotiations, and start date. Most take longer. Then you add summer vacations and holidays, and that stretches it out even further. Expecting a shorter time frame is not realistic.

Remember, you want them to make an informed and well-considered decision. A rushed decision rarely works out well for either party.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
You want the company to work around your travel dates, but you're getting bent out of shape about their's???

For a professional job, six weeks is an extremely expedited schedule for interviewing, decision-making, offer negotiations, and start date. Most take longer. Then you add summer vacations and holidays, and that stretches it out even further. Expecting a shorter time frame is not realistic.

Remember, you want them to make an informed and well-considered decision. A rushed decision rarely works out well for either party.
Not so much bent out of shape, but wondering why the process takes so long. I mean, I know it's a bad economy but it's sad to know that if I got another offer and a job, they wouldn't care because there is someone right behind me. THey don't care how long it takes, there will always be someone for the position. It's an employers market.

I was more worried that if they wanted to hire me, I wouldn't be available because I was out of the country but at this point, even if they made a decision to hire me in say two weeks, I probably wouldn't start until November!

Old 08-31-2010, 12:52 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Don't sit around waiting for them. Keep looking for other opportunities.

Until they call you, I would not waste time waiting and worrying. I had a interview this morning. The hiring manager said he gave me the "thumbs up" but all depends on how I did on my test. I think I did well but don't think for once I'm going to pull my hair out waiting for his call. He said he would call by Friday.

I operate as if nothing has happened and continue to move forward.

Hang in there,
Ron

Old 08-31-2010, 12:57 PM

Agreed, I am looking but this particular job pays very well, it's close to home and the benefits are amazing. That's hard to come by in this area so, that's why I am waiting but I need to almost forget about it to save my sanity.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:03 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
Agreed, I am looking but this particular job pays very well, it's close to home and the benefits are amazing. That's hard to come by in this area so, that's why I am waiting but I need to almost forget about it to save my sanity.
I can understand what you're saying but as YOU pointed out, save your sanity.

Good luck.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post

I don't think she is getting bent out of shape. She is going to visit family out of the country and is trying to avoid a problem.

I would tell them I will be out of the country visiting(not a vacation) my husband's parents and mention this was planned long before this job was on the horizon. And give the exact dates you will be gone.

It might jump start the 3rd interview, and she could always start the job after she gets back.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:35 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
bent out of shape, worried, frustrated....whatever phrase you care to use. It's hypocritical to expect the employer to speed up their process or rearrange their worker's schedules to accommodate OP's vacation plans. They are the ones in charge of this process, not the other way around.

Quote:
but it's sad to know that if I got another offer and a job, they wouldn't care because there is someone right behind me.
You don't know that they won't care, or that they will easily find someone else. But regardless, their process can't necessarily be changed just to suit you.

As the saying goes, an emergency on your part does not constitute an emergency for anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search