Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 05:02 PM

68 posts, read 162,300 times

Advertisements

I have a job that I work whenever I'm needed so I apply for UE Benefits here and there when I don't get a full week.
Well the Unemployment Office Career Center sent me a note listing a job that I was qualified for and asked me to send them my Resume' and Cover Letter so they could forward it to them.It was a full time job that I was qualified for and I was very excited so I got everything printed out and and mailed it out to them.
Today(2 weeks later) I get my resume' and my cover letter back in the mail with a note that states:

"You recently submitted a resume' and cover letter that we are recruiting for.Unfortunately we were unable to forward your resume'as it was not in a format that would be conducive to a positive review by the employer"

My first reaction was "you have got to be kidding me"!!I've used that same "format"for many years and have gotten many interviews.
And never once has an employer said to me that my resume' was not "conducive to a positive review"!Isn't that something the employer should be deciding and not the Dept of Labor??
They blocked me from being able to apply for that job.It's gone now.I'm still in disbelief.
Has anyone else had this happen to them?It doesn't sound like proper procedure to me.I feel they should have forwarded my resume' to the employer for review and then notified me that I should change the format.
Anybody agree?Disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 05:15 PM

6,893 posts, read 22,462,369 times
How was the original note from DOL received? Most job searches are done online now; maybe they expected an electronic version.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:27 PM

Red face I'm really not happy about this at all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
How was the original note from DOL received? Most job searches are done online now; maybe they expected an electronic version.
They mailed it to me stating that there is a job they feel fits my qualifications.
And it says if I am interested in applying for the job to send them my resume' and cover letter.Or if not then state why and sign the form and mail it back.
So as with hundreds of other jobs that I have applied I printed out my resume' and cover letter and mailed it to them.
My resume' may be in a simple,basic format but I have never had an employer say it wasn't professional enough to be considered for a job.
That's crap!That should have never happened.I feel it was unprofessional of them not to forward my resume' to the prospective employer.Let them decide if they feel it's worthy of an interview or not.
If I seem upset about it it's because I am....

Old 09-03-2010, 05:36 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,862,508 times
I understand your frustration, but brush it off and move on.

For starters, you don't even know that the reason they gave you is the real reason. I've had so many automated responses from the UI office and they have never been right (as demonstrated by many subsequent contacts changing their story).

Second, it's a rejection, no different than any other reject you've received. Regardless of who did the rejecting, rejections can be for any reason and that's just part of the process that you have to accept, because you can't change it.

Third, it is rare that a job is advertised ONLY at the Unemployment Office and nowhere else. Redirect your energy into tracking down this employer and submit your resume directly. If they gave you enough description for you to know that you are a good fit and that you are excited about it, then they have enough information that you could probably surf the internet and find the job advertised somewhere else.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I understand your frustration, but brush it off and move on.

For starters, you don't even know that the reason they gave you is the real reason. I've had so many automated responses from the UI office and they have never been right (as demonstrated by many subsequent contacts changing their story).

Second, it's a rejection, no different than any other reject you've received. Regardless of who did the rejecting, rejections can be for any reason and that's just part of the process that you have to accept, because you can't change it.

Third, it is rare that a job is advertised ONLY at the Unemployment Office and nowhere else. Redirect your energy into tracking down this employer and submit your resume directly. If they gave you enough description for you to know that you are a good fit and that you are excited about it, then they have enough information that you could probably surf the internet and find the job advertised somewhere else.
It was not an automated response.It was a letter typed and addressed to me.
And I don't see it as a rejection at all.It was never submitted to the employer for review.By all accounts it should have been and wasn't.
And yes it was a job they were recruiting for.And I had not seen it posted any place else.
Being the Unemployment Career Center I can see them wanting to review the information and make sure everything is on your resume' that the employer would be looking for but to not submit it because it's not exactly the format they would use is just rediculous.
So pretty much they blocked me from getting a job.Or at least applying to a potential employer.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:01 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,862,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiest23 View Post
It was not an automated response.It was a letter typed and addressed to me.
And I don't see it as a rejection at all.It was never submitted to the employer for review.By all accounts it should have been and wasn't.
And yes it was a job they were recruiting for.And I had not seen it posted any place else.
Being the Unemployment Career Center I can see them wanting to review the information and make sure everything is on your resume' that the employer would be looking for but to not submit it because it's not exactly the format they would use is just rediculous.
So pretty much they blocked me from getting a job.Or at least applying to a potential employer.
Just because it was a letter addressed to you doesn't mean it was an accurate response. The person who wrote the letter probably writes hundreds of them and has a handful of statements to choose from, or maybe just one statement that gets sent to everyone.

And they aren't blocking you from getting a job. They are simply not submitting for you. They are not preventing you from doing your own research and applying to this or any other job. Remember, if they hadn't contacted you, you wouldn't even know this job existed. At least now you know there's a job out there for you to look for and apply to.

It wouldn't hurt to actually listen to what they have to say about your resume format, either. Sure you may have gotten interviews with your current format, but you'll never know how many you missed out on because of it, because most employers don't give feedback at all. Or maybe its just this one particular employer that has special requirements. So if you want the job then send them a resume formatted their way and continue sending out your resume in your own format to other employers. Don't be so closed minded and argumentative. Work with what you've been given.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:56 PM

6,893 posts, read 22,462,369 times
Its really unfortunate that they weren't more specific when they sent it back to you. Maybe this is a clue that you need to look at other ways to format it. Are you getting any response from employers you've sent your resume to? If not, maybe its time for a reformat or even a rewrite.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:59 PM

10,817 posts, read 14,885,244 times
Quote:
Has anyone else had this happen to them?It doesn't sound like proper procedure to me.I feel they should have forwarded my resume' to the employer for review and then notified me that I should change the format.
Anybody agree?Disagree?
First thing to accept is the fact that people who work at the employment bureaus are bureaucrats and could care less if you live, die or fail. Matters nothing to them and they are note going to do anything to help you out.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:07 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,513,436 times
Many companies use electronic readers these days, and they are even more useful now that there are so many applicants. It pays to discover the requirements before submission.

Best luck on the next one.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:47 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,816,912 times
Quote:
I have a job that I work whenever I'm needed so I apply for UE Benefits here and there when I don't get a full week.
Well the Unemployment Office Career Center sent me a note listing a job that I was qualified for and asked me to send them my Resume' and Cover Letter so they could forward it to them.It was a full time job that I was qualified for and I was very excited so I got everything printed out and and mailed it out to them.
Today(2 weeks later) I get my resume' and my cover letter back in the mail with a note that states:

"You recently submitted a resume' and cover letter that we are recruiting for.Unfortunately we were unable to forward your resume'as it was not in a format that would be conducive to a positive review by the employer"

My first reaction was "you have got to be kidding me"!!I've used that same "format"for many years and have gotten many interviews.
And never once has an employer said to me that my resume' was not "conducive to a positive review"!Isn't that something the employer should be deciding and not the Dept of Labor??
They blocked me from being able to apply for that job.It's gone now.I'm still in disbelief.
Anybody agree?Disagree?
Well, their comments weren't very helpful....does your career centre have resume workshops? Perhaps attend one and see what they suggest (you may also be able to find out what the comment actually meant).

I know my local UE office needs the cover letter/resume to be on digital media (thumb drive or disc) even if you're applying in person for a pre-referral screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search