Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:25 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times

Advertisements

Maybe he has two jobs or stays late at the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Yeah I pretty much don't believe anything he/she says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 08:30 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,898,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
It's not a real rule. I have a contract. Let me put this in simpler terms.

Pretend you're buying a car, you sign a contract with the price, warranty, monthly payment, etc. Right as you are about to drive away, the sales manager runs out and says, "oh by the way, if you don't park in a garage, your warranty will be voided." You have 3 options now, one is going back and asking them to cancel your contract, the other is ignoring it, the third is building a garage and parking in it.

Most likely you'll say, "whatever," with the knowledge that you have a contract, and this guy is a knucklehead.

I'm not sure what kind of company you work for, but you can generally not make such large amendments to an employment contract without permission.

At any rate, how unreasonable is it (therefore unlikely)? I work for a large company, and can guarantee that we aren't a third rate shop who abuses their employees.

It was a bad management decision/statement. It ends there. But you being the HR "professional" are convinced that you can modify contracts without consent...
Yeah, your analogy just doesn't work at all. Good luck with that though.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:23 AM

256 posts, read 894,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I guess I am still trying to figure out how a bank teller-- works 70 hours a week.

Even Wachovia/Wells Fargo in my local area is only open to the public for 45 hours a week. Even if they had you come in an extra two hours a day (an hour before opening, an hour after closing) that would still only be an extra 12 hours on top of the 45 = 57 total hours and that is assuming you would get absolutely no unpaid lunches.

I have known many who have worked as bank tellers-- and I have never known any who had a job so integral to the operations of the bank that they had to be there 70 hours a week.

Yeah that does not add up. Unless they are doing something else in addition to being a teller.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:12 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,717,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_Guy27 View Post
Yeah that does not add up. Unless they are doing something else in addition to being a teller.
That's it. I've been going in at 8 and usually leaving around 7:30 Monday through Saturday because we just rolled over to a new way of processing checks which requires that we stay several hours late to process and make the changes to our ledgers.

So wheelsup, next time instead of making a fool of yourself because you don't have your facts, why don't you ask a question first? Pretend you're an adult at least...

Old 09-12-2010, 12:51 PM

256 posts, read 894,241 times
Quote:
That's it. I've been going in at 8 and usually leaving around 7:30 Monday through Saturday because we just rolled over to a new way of processing checks which requires that we stay several hours late to process and make the changes to our ledgers.

So wheelsup, next time instead of making a fool of yourself because you don't have your facts, why don't you ask a question first? Pretend you're an adult at least...

With that schedule, how do you plan to interview with other employers?

Old 09-12-2010, 12:56 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_Guy27 View Post
With that schedule, how do you plan to interview with other employers?
The issue was that they CUT his hours from that to about 30 hours/week; I don't think he was doing much interviewing before that.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:35 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,851,383 times
Quote:
And K*****, I don't know whats gotten in to you, but you are ignoring the fact that I have a contract. I'm not disagreeing that if I had a contract that said I couldn't apply and did, that they would have cause, but the contract says nothing.
^^^^^^

Don't waste your time with this poster. I've seen more than a few posts where this poster was just pulling things out of his/her butt.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:37 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,692 times
Quote:
I'm not worried about unemployment at all... I wouldn't accept it if offered. I have savings to last me a year, and if I wasn't working I would gladly apply to McDonalds to extend that far longer.

You make several broad, simplistic, and very generous assumptions 1) that McDonald's even has openings, 2) would interview you among the dozens if not hundreds of other out of work people seeking employment, 3) would choose somebody like yourself who is more likely to quit when something better comes along over a high school, college kid, retiree or someone else more likely to stay than you. Your prospects and likelihood of hire are exceptionally unrealistic but I'm glad that you are not worried about them. You better hope that you don't ever have to put it to the test either as you will be in for quite the reality check.

Quote:
My concern is being fired period, I don't want that on my record.

Nobody wants to lose their job with a termination on their record but things happen. Your employer has every right to fire you if you aren't happy being there and obviously would rather be somewhere else.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:28 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,093 times
Quote:
Huh? You haven't worked in nearly 2 years for one. Two, I never said anything like that. Three, I think you need to go back on your meds
lol, What are you whining about? WRONG. I have worked doing some contract work in the last less then 2 years. But who cares we are not talking about me, And yes you said that and were going to quit because you were so over worked for one week. LOL! You really are hilarious. I see you supposedly got another job offer. lol, Let me guess you didn't take it because the town was to liberal. LOL. Oh my, You really are a silly conservative if that's what you base your life on. You have a lot of pie in the sky stuff that seems to never happen. Hmmmmm. Speaking of meds. I suggest an appointment for you with a doctor ASAP.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:48 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,708,981 times
Looks like Southbound has been terminated . . . by city-data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search