Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 12:38 AM

30,383 posts, read 51,996,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Unless the job shows up in a background check
Do background checks look at previous employment? I guess they could, since you typically have to give a SS card to work... but I don't put every former job (I've had quite a few over the years) on a resume, so you could always just say "I didn't think it was applicable to this position" or something. Dunno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 03:31 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,445,707 times
when i was let go from on company in FL they sigthed medical problems on reason i was let go .when pushed by the state labor boards over the medical issuse was i was calling in sick alot which only happen in the summer time when it got over 80.precent humdity and temps up in the 100s would i start haveing the whole problems with not keeping my food down and passing out from the heat problems ..

but when i proved to the state labor board over the fact that there own doctor would not release for work intill he completed a couple of test to the reason why i was haveing problems with my diabetic meds the state labor board was on my side along with the company doctor told them that the meds i was takeing at the time had side effects in hot weather along with i could not work in the outside heat dureing the summer time and it was written on the doctor note for me to return to work ..

the company had to pay my moveing money to another state and 6 months back pay to me along with my yearly bonus for haveing a good year. and was fine a good deal of money over the fact that they had disobeyed a doctor orders.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:46 AM

20 posts, read 88,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
OP, you talk too much. The information you posted on your other thread with personal emails was a mistake.

Why are you even bringing up being fired? In this job market you start talking about being fired and gross misconduct and you can forget getting a job.

You need a coworker(not your former boss) to be your reference and get you're stories straight as to why you left.

I don't like being dishonest, but you(from your other thread) have created quite a mess. You're going to have to say something like it was no longer a good fit and get your coworker/friend who is your reference to be on the same page.
No sh1t it was a mistake, hence the deletion. And I'm telling them because I'm not a liar.. when I am asked why I left, I tell the truth. I don't agree with you that I created a mess...

and you are bring up a deleted thread.. perhaps it is YOU who is doing too much of the talking.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
How do they know you were fired in the first place? Are you telling them?
Yes, they ask me why I left the company and I have been saying I was discharged, they ask why, and I have been saying for a honest lack of judgement, then they want details. And I won't lie, that is wrong, and if I'm hired somewhere and they find out I have told that lie, I'm fired again... and I don't want that to happen :-)

Old 10-09-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Do background checks look at previous employment? I guess they could, since you typically have to give a SS card to work... but I don't put every former job (I've had quite a few over the years) on a resume, so you could always just say "I didn't think it was applicable to this position" or something. Dunno.

So places do. I've seen lots of job ad's where it say must pass background check :-(

Old 10-09-2010, 07:07 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,175,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalamity View Post
Yes, they ask me why I left the company and I have been saying I was discharged, they ask why, and I have been saying for a honest lack of judgement, then they want details. And I won't lie, that is wrong, and if I'm hired somewhere and they find out I have told that lie, I'm fired again... and I don't want that to happen :-)
Tell them you were laid off and get on with your life.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
So places do. I've seen lots of job ad's where it say must pass background check :-(
I didn't ask if they do background checks, I asked if background checks cover previous employment... almost EVERY job I've had did a background check (since I usually work with kids), and they never mention my former jobs after the check. I assumed they were only looking at criminal records, sex offender registries, and so forth - which makes sense for certain jobs. So does anyone know what these background checks actually report??

Old 10-09-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Would you rather be permanently unemployed? As long as you keep your mouth shut at work, this should never come up again... and if by some chance it does and you get fired, at least you had those months/years of steady income. Lying isn't a great thing to do, but sometimes it's a necessary means to an end.

If it makes you feel better just "creatively omit information," rather than telling a bold lie. For example say "it wasn't the best fit for my skills and goals," which isn't giving a solid reason for your dismissal - and could actually be true, since it probably wasn't the best fit. Does that make sense?

Old 10-10-2010, 06:10 PM

151 posts, read 570,152 times
Watch the movie Liar Lair (Jim Carrey) and learn that excessive honesty is not a good thing.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:15 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,037,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou347 View Post
Watch the movie Liar Lair (Jim Carrey) and learn that excessive honesty is not a good thing.
Hilarious movie .... The issue is not honesty per se but knowing when to say something and when to shut your mouth ... Has to do with tact and maintaining civil relationships with people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search