Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 10:12 AM

8 posts, read 32,001 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a situation I would like advice on. I interviewed with a company twice, 1 phone and 1 in person and things went very well. Towards the end I felt they were trying to sell me on the company. Anyway 2 days after the interview the HR person sent me an application to fill out, my guess is for the references since they already know most of the information left on the application.

Here is where my situation comes in, I have been with my current company for over 5 years and I'm not sure who to put down since I haven't let anyone know I'm looking for a new job. I work in a small 3 person group, and one of them is technically my supervisor. I say that because only in the last 6 months was he given that responsibility. This person is probably the best person to give me a recommendation. I have a couple other options but they all are currently employed with my company. All other references I had I've lost touch with. My current position is my first full time job after college so any references I had before were likely professors and intern supervisors that won't remember me.

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 10:18 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
It would not be out of the question to ask the company you're interviewing with to use "discretion" when contacting your current employer, as they don't know you're looking for a new job.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:57 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,640,374 times
I agree with 1200RT. In fact, there is usually a place on an application that asks "can we use this as a reference.." or something to that effect. It's hard to be in your situation when in fact you ARE still working but that's all you really can do. If I were you, I would just say that you would prefer your current company not be notified as they are not aware of your plans at this time.
If you need other references, you should always (for future reference) keep a phone book of friends / colleagues that you can stay in touch with, even once every few months just so you have at least a couple of people to list.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:33 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
I would not give a reference at my current job. I would give one for a previous job. They should certainly understand why you are doing this.

I would expect them to validate employment though after you had accepted.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:26 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,155 times
I would put down the people that know you the best and will say the best things about you. In your situation it just seems like your co-workers and supervisors would be those persons and I am assuming that you don't want them to know you are looking to leave.

If that's the case, I'd probably just put down whoever knows you the best at the company that isn't in your group. Ask them in advanced and ask them that you don't want it known that you are looking to leave.

If you can't even find people like that, then you should do a search for your old co-workers or former supervisors. With LinkedIn, Facebook, and Google, it's not hard to track them down. I've done it before. They usually would be glad to or they just ignore your emails.

Also, you could put your supervisor down and later let the interviewer/recruiter/HR rep. that it is OK to call them only if there is a strong likelihood you will get an offer if you are the top candidate.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:14 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
Do you have clients, vendors, or customers from your current job that can offer a reference? Otherwise, I would provide other references and simply explain that your current employer is not aware that you are searching for new employment.

If the company doesn't get that, then you don't want to work for them.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:21 AM

8 posts, read 32,001 times
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I think I have decided to confide in one co-worker and try to track down some others that left the company awhile ago.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:39 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
I use a co-worker and a client because my previous supervisor and owner of the company was Satan.I had HR at an interview ask for the supervisor info after I specifically explained why I could not use that person, and after I offered the other references. He insisted on getting the supervisor.Needless to say, I didn't even get a second interview. He was too anal anyway, so that's ok. I don't think I would have liked to work for that company. But this is an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search