Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 09:56 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,406 times

Advertisements

Ron-Did she not even look at your resume? Granted, I've never done any type of career counseling work, so I'm no expert. But if someone hired me to hang out at a career fair in a booth marked "Career Counselor", the first thing I'd do when someone walked up would be to look at their resume. If you had dug ditches or drove a truck, I might steer you toward a warehouse.

But if your background was in finance, I might suggest something radical like a bank or a mortgage company.

But that's just me. Perhaps TV Sports Guy would have better ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 10:10 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Perhaps TV Sports Guy would have better ideas.
I really thought our in-house counselor would respond but he obviously is very busy doing other stuff tonight. He predicted a date by the end of October so maybe he's working on that.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:24 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I really thought our in-house counselor would respond but he obviously is very busy doing other stuff tonight. He predicted a date by the end of October so maybe he's working on that.

I would really like to see TV's opinion; also I am sure he is diligently sending "clients" out on interviews, etc., (some of them may actually have a background in finance)!! TV's thoughts on this matter would be most welcome by me, and I am sure several of his other "groupies" who must be suffering from "TVSG" withdrawal syndrome.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:11 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
It may be that those are the only jobs available right now, and for many, it does not matter what their resume says, they need cash, so they would be interested in any job...

Wait until you have been unemployed for a year, and your wife is also out of work...you would want anything...right now, you are not hungry enough...

Old 10-23-2010, 06:27 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
He is hungry for some jambalaya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It may be that those are the only jobs available right now, and for many, it does not matter what their resume says, they need cash, so they would be interested in any job...

Wait until you have been unemployed for a year, and your wife is also out of work...you would want anything...right now, you are not hungry enough...

Old 10-23-2010, 09:03 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

He hasn't been unemployed that long so he doesn't settle for some crappy warehouse job. Now maybe if push comes to shove in 7 or 8 months but right now he can still apply finance positions.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:32 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I NEVER attend job fairs. I did years ago but they don't seem to do any good.
Yesterday I decided to attend one because Chase Bank had their Corporate Finance department there and I wanted to drop off my resume.

While I was waiting in the lobby of the location of the job fair, a "career counselor" approached me and said would I like to talk a little? I said "sure, why not, I have a few minutes". She said "it would only take 10 minutes to do her "assessment and maybe she could help me"......No problem there. I am open to being helped.

Here's where I almost felt insulted.......

IMMEDIATELY, the "career counselor" starts telling me about $9hr warehouse jobs and temp to hire warehouse jobs. She goes on and on about basic resume writing and quite frankly talking to me, a 36y/o man, as if this was my very first time looking for employment or creating a resume.

No, I was not insulted because she offered $9 hour warehouse jobs or she talked about the basics of resume writing, that's not a problem. Where I felt insulted was, she stated she was going to do an assessment. If she were going to do an assessment, my first thought would be that she would first start by asking questions, not start by "talking at me".

She had no idea that I've spent 10 years in high level Finance positions. She had no Idea that I've spent a few years working in the venture capital and private equity industry, she had no idea that I have a Finance degree from a 4 year University. She had no idea that I was downsized from my last Finance position at Bank of America. She had no idea that my core background and experience is Mergers/Acquisitions and Leveraged Buyouts.

All of that she could have found out doing a proper assessment. She would have realized, offering me $9 warehouse jobs would be a waste of her time as well as mine. No one is going to hire me for a job like that even if I wanted one.

All she did was assume I had limited job skills and no clue about searching for work.

My point is, how many people do you think get directed down the wrong path because of a "career counselor's assessment".

I can imagine that there are good and bad career counselor's but it seems like in fields like Social Work, Career Counselors, etc.....many of them are average as it relates to how good they are at what they do.

My apologies for the long post.

Sounds as this "Career Counseler" is just another example of someone who has had training but has no real life experience and/or common sense. She'll probably be looking for a job too soon enough.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:20 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
He hasn't been unemployed that long so he doesn't settle for some crappy warehouse job. Now maybe if push comes to shove in 7 or 8 months but right now he can still apply finance positions.
I am so glad that you have finally appeared on the scene. What other types of positions would you counsel the OP to apply for? How can he avoid career counsellors, who don't even know a person's qualifications before they start babbling about a warehouse position? Why would a "career counsellor" do this to someone? It all seems rather tacky to me. Also, how do people avoid "dumb career counsellors?" The reason I am asking this is because I recently had the same thing happen to me. I left a very stressful job to work on a degree and want to keep my GPA above 3.8. I don't want to work in a supervisory role because I don't need the hassles, but that's what I keep getting offered--I have explained to recruiters that I am looking for a balance between school and work, and they keep telling me I am overqualified for the positions I am applying for, even though I understand that already. What would be a better response for me to give? (This is a healthcare related field).

Last edited by taigagirl; 10-23-2010 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-23-2010, 11:24 AM

470 posts, read 1,036,816 times
I'll have to agree job fairs seem like cattle drives to me. I went to one in 2006 the college I was just graduating from put on and recruiters for the employers there were eager and hungry to recruit you and put effort into selling you on their organization. Now that they have a large pool of unemployed candidates they don't really care. I just went to one of the saddest looking job fairs I've ever been to. They had two general business employers there and the rest were healthcare and staffing agencies. The general business employers told me I could apply online at their website which to me kind of defeats the purpose of a job fair and I steered clear of the healthcare booths as I am not a healthcare worker. I think I speak for a lot of people who have some education, work experience and a little bit of ambition that Staffing Agencies want absolutely nothing to do with you. If you aren't someone that is satisfied with working for $9/ hour for the rest of your life they will not place you in a job.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:16 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Brilliant, Grasshopper, brilliant. You read the whole thread and came up with a true gem of a professional response. Well done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search