Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times

Advertisements

You think that's bad? An HR drone emailed me and we agreed that I would call her at a time specified by her. She initially emailed me, picked the time and gave me the phone number to call her for a phone interview. I called at the exact time and date specified, her voice mail was one. I left a message. I called back a few hours later and left another one. I never heard back from her, nor ever received an email with an explanation. She could have at least sent me an apology or rejection via email. Nada, nothing. I figured she was incompetent. Why does one overschedule if you have more than enough people in this economy? Such a simple assignment, a phone interview. I wonder how she would have been in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 08:09 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
So, I had a phone interview this morning and nobody ever called me. I prepared last night and this morning. I had all my notes in front of me and everything. Nothing.

First off, how long do I wait before I contact the person (not the person that was supposed to call me but another one) to let them know? How do I word it? Also, should I wait for them to contact me to acknowledge that they missed the appt?

Just as I am supposed to make an impression on them, they are making an impression on me and it's not a good one.

Advice?
Sometimes things happen.

I would say contact them as soon as the scheduled interview would have been finished.

When I was interviewing for my new job, I had a phone interview set up and never received the call. I emailed our internal recruiter (this was an internal position) and she advised to send a brief email to the interviewer. She also made contact as well and went ahead and set up a new interview.

Come to find out the person who was supposed to interview me had to rush their child to the doctor and they had forgotten about the interview-- completely understandable due to the age of the baby and what was going on.

With the rescheduled interview, the interviewer was very prompt.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:27 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,998 times
Quote:
It could be something as simple as one of you writing down the incorrect date/time.
Yep. People write post-it notes on their desk and they fly off of the desk due to the air conditioning blowing nearby. Or the person's desk got moved and they forgot about the post-it note still sitting at their old desk. Or they can't login to their PC that morning which contains their appointments for the day. Stuff just happens at these places. So I say be polite at first, state the facts, and wait until you get the truth before getting upset with them. If they never contact you back, then you're probably better off not working at that place anyway.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:49 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
You don't have a phone number to call them? Can't you look it up? Show some initiative and put in some effort. Look up the company, call their main number, and explain the situation to whomever answers. They can probably put you in touch with the right person, or find someone else who can.

If you don't know the name of the company, I'd say there's a good chance the setup was just that--a setup, and you should brush it off and move on. Consider yourself lucky that you didn't get dragged deeper into whatever game they are playing.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:13 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
That happened to me once. I emailed the person about a half hour after the appointed time. Nothing. I emailed her the next day. Nothing. I found out the name of her boss and emailed him.

Suddenly there she was emailing me back with a bunch of flaky excuses about getting "tied up."

I responded that it would have been appreciated if she had at least gotten back to me in the time afterward to let me know what happened. She had the nerve to tell me I was rude for saying that. I told her if that was how they conduct business, they were too amateurish for me--and I CC'd her boss. Tra la la la la!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:17 PM

639 posts, read 1,071,944 times
My guess is that they do a lot of phone interviews and if they are busy they might just let a few slip, figuring they have many candidates and furthermore that some of the missed phone interviews can be rescheduled.

Of course, this says a lot about the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
So, I had a phone interview this morning and nobody ever called me. I prepared last night and this morning. I had all my notes in front of me and everything. Nothing.

First off, how long do I wait before I contact the person (not the person that was supposed to call me but another one) to let them know? How do I word it? Also, should I wait for them to contact me to acknowledge that they missed the appt?

Just as I am supposed to make an impression on them, they are making an impression on me and it's not a good one.

Advice?

Old 10-26-2010, 09:39 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
That happened to me once. I emailed the person about a half hour after the appointed time. Nothing. I emailed her the next day. Nothing. I found out the name of her boss and emailed him.

Suddenly there she was emailing me back with a bunch of flaky excuses about getting "tied up."

I responded that it would have been appreciated if she had at least gotten back to me in the time afterward to let me know what happened. She had the nerve to tell me I was rude for saying that. I told her if that was how they conduct business, they were too amateurish for me--and I CC'd her boss. Tra la la la la!
Yes, HR staff like this individual give their company a bad name when they fail to follow through with their promises. Sometimes I think people in HR positions forget, that they too, are expendable.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:03 AM

48 posts, read 155,854 times
Very sorry to hear that you had to go through this. Like the others said, I'd give the company/interviewer the benefit of the doubt initially, since even hiring managers and interviewers are human. Speaking from the other side of the table, I've seen a few of my colleagues slip up a few times and forget to call candidates for their scheduled phone screen--and they felt truly awful upon realizing their mistake. So go ahead and contact them. For all you know, this might even put you in a slightly advantageous position, since now they "owe" something to you.

Or they could just be jerks. In which case, count yourself lucky for finding out!

Old 10-27-2010, 12:24 AM

13 posts, read 125,434 times
Its your right now to call them and tell them that you were waiting for their call but you didnot recieved any call. Its not unethical. If your interview was scheduled and they committed to call you then there is no issue to remind them about your interview

Old 10-27-2010, 02:21 PM

299 posts, read 1,132,437 times
A lady called me a few hours later to apologize. It wasn't even the gal that was supposed to call me in the first place. Anyway, she said that "she" the lady that was supposed to call is just SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO busy, swamped, overloaded...etc. She added the lady had just got back from a conference the night before... blah blah blah. She apologized profusley and rescheduled.

I just smiled and said "no problem!"

It wasn't an emergency, it was poor planning on someone else's part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search