Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:59 AM

943 posts, read 3,335,098 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry this happened to you but the bright side is at least they rescheduled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 11:14 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
So, I had a phone interview this morning and nobody ever called me. I prepared last night and this morning. I had all my notes in front of me and everything. Nothing.

First off, how long do I wait before I contact the person (not the person that was supposed to call me but another one) to let them know? How do I word it? Also, should I wait for them to contact me to acknowledge that they missed the appt?

Just as I am supposed to make an impression on them, they are making an impression on me and it's not a good one.

Advice?
I agree that it certainly would not have made a good impression on me either if someone told me they were calling me for a phone interview.

Was this set up through a recruiter? If so, I'd call the recruiter and let him / her know about it and ask them to reschedule.

If it was done directly through you and the company, I'd call their HR department and find out what happened. Could have been a simple oversight but you're right, it doesn't bode well.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,043 times
I am supposed to Interview a Physician that has specialized in epilepsy for a class assignment and we had set up an over the phone interview but they never called me. When we set up the appointment it was pretty clear that they wanted to call me because of their busy schedule and they had told me that her afternoon was open. I am not sure what to do..

Old 09-08-2014, 11:45 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
Oh this is my greatest pet peeve. It is extremely disrespectful and unprofessional to break a set business meeting with a potential employee without notifying. It has happened to me multiple times. I understand things happen, but there should be some kind of emergency plan so the company doesn't come across as flaky and incompetent. If I can alter my plans to spent a few hours prepping, you should have the decency to make a 3 minute call max to reschedule so you don't come across as an *******.

I just bite the bullet if I really want the job, otherwise I give them attitude and or withdraw my resume because it is insulting. I took the time to show my interest in your company, you show interest, and then you leave me hanging. It feels like being stabbed in the back. If I put up with this crap, I really want the job because it is the only legitimate reason to work for an incompetent company.

If sales people and senior executives behaved like some HR people, the company would fold pretty quickly. HR managers need to do "cycle counts" on their staff regularly and get rid of the less than stellar ones quickly because the bad apples give their company a black eye.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:56 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Send them a confirmation a day or two before the interview (via email) and ask for the number that'll be calling you (if they didn't already tell you; say that your phone blocks unknown numbers as a reason.) Then if you don't get the call, call them back at that number around, say, half an hour after the scheduled time as suggested previously in the thread.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
I had this happen once so after an hour or so, I emailed the recruiter and got an e-mail back apologizing. I still had the interview about four hours later due to "training" that day. Glad I didn't end up getting a job there...

Old 09-08-2014, 01:50 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
And we actually pulled up a thread that was four years old because there aren't enough current threads on this topic?

Old 09-08-2014, 02:12 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Oh this is my greatest pet peeve. It is extremely disrespectful and unprofessional to break a set business meeting with a potential employee without notifying. It has happened to me multiple times. I understand things happen, but there should be some kind of emergency plan so the company doesn't come across as flaky and incompetent. If I can alter my plans to spent a few hours prepping, you should have the decency to make a 3 minute call max to reschedule so you don't come across as an *******.

I just bite the bullet if I really want the job, otherwise I give them attitude and or withdraw my resume because it is insulting. I took the time to show my interest in your company, you show interest, and then you leave me hanging. It feels like being stabbed in the back. If I put up with this crap, I really want the job because it is the only legitimate reason to work for an incompetent company.

If sales people and senior executives behaved like some HR people, the company would fold pretty quickly. HR managers need to do "cycle counts" on their staff regularly and get rid of the less than stellar ones quickly because the bad apples give their company a black eye.

Agreed.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:41 PM

18 posts, read 23,359 times
Hello,

I am having a similar situation with a position that I apply for with my old employer. The hiring manager email me stating that she wanted to do an interview with me (on 9/3). I replied on the same date with the times and days that I was available. She didn't respond for two days so I called her and left her a voicemail message on her phone on Friday (9/5). I still have not received a response as of today. Should I just send another email asking if she still wants to do an interview or move on? I'm currently unemployed and I would prefer going back to my old employer to continue my career than starting over somewhere else and making less money.

I also forgot to mention that when I call her phone on Friday, her message stated that she is working remotely. I don't know if that gives her an excuse.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:54 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorruptfile View Post
Hello,

I am having a similar situation with a position that I apply for with my old employer. The hiring manager email me stating that she wanted to do an interview with me (on 9/3). I replied on the same date with the times and days that I was available. She didn't respond for two days so I called her and left her a voicemail message on her phone on Friday (9/5). I still have not received a response as of today. Should I just send another email asking if she still wants to do an interview or move on? I'm currently unemployed and I would prefer going back to my old employer to continue my career than starting over somewhere else and making less money.

I also forgot to mention that when I call her phone on Friday, her message stated that she is working remotely. I don't know if that gives her an excuse.
She received your emails and voicemail. She doesn't care. She's being intentionally rude and she is disrespecting you.

You can leave her another message and she STILL won't call or email you back, because she has NO RESPECT for you.

Let it go.

The time you spend wasting with her, you could be missing out on some great opportunities with another company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search