Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 11:38 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,635 times

Advertisements

Can you even get part time work in such a situation ?

It's who you know, right ? Well, what if you don't know anybody, or at any rate they don't know you ? I've always been like one who's invisible, the one who'se never noticed and always ignored. "Oh ? You were in my class ? I never knew ? " "I sat right by you in class." "Really ? No way, dude."

Do you need to "know someone" to even as much as get a job as usher/concessions at the AMC Movie Theaters these days ?

What's the situation ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 01:14 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
You do not "need" to know someone to get a job. Does it help? Sure. But it certainly doesn't mean that every person who gets a job knew someone.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:12 AM

323 posts, read 940,570 times
I'm guessing by the content of your post you're pretty young. Yes, for the most part if you are high school/early college age post of the jobs you'll be finding like fast food, retail, etc. are going to require you to interact with people frequently, be social, etc.

I think you need to look at jobs where you are not thrust in front of people running a cash register, etc. You should look into being a dishwasher, a bus boy, a cook, etc. Something "behind the scenes".

I'd also like to say that you'll have to overcome this eventually unless you expect to work in "behind the scenes" jobs for the rest of your life.

I can empathize with you because I've been there though. I went through HELL all through my school years. I reached a point where I virtually felt NUMB. I didn't even want to talk to people AT ALL for my 1st 2 years of high school. Eventually though I grew out of it and sort of came out of my shell, defended myself, and made some solid friendships and helped me a great deal along the way.

The best advice I can give you is keep your head up. In a few years after HS your adult life will be totally different. You get to start all over. Only this time being "the new kid" doesn't mean they're going to throw you against a locker and steal your lunch money.

Besides, in about 5 years the **holes that tormented you will start a long string of personal failures and a harsh dose of reality when nobody gives a **** about who they were in High School.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:49 AM

520 posts, read 1,006,451 times
Knowing someone helps, but not all the time. Every job I got, I got off of my own merit. Now, I have had friends give me leads, like "we are about to start hiring, contact... or do...", but all of my jobs have been off of my work history, education and skill sets. But, there are a high number of jobs that get filled off of knowing someone; especially at the executive level.

Also, I think Further North is right in telling you to take a job that fits your non-social personality until you can overcome it. But, there are some great "behind the scenes" jobs as well, such as computer programmer, scientist, web developer, DBA, author, artist...pretty much those technical and artsy jobs.

Good luck and be well.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:44 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post

It's who you know, right ? Well, what if you don't know anybody, or at any rate they don't know you ? I've always been like one who's invisible, the one who'se never noticed and always ignored. "Oh ? You were in my class ? I never knew ? " "I sat right by you in class." "Really ? No way, dude."

Do you need to "know someone" to even as much as get a job as usher/concessions at the AMC Movie Theaters these days ?

What's the situation ?
I don't believe your social anxiety will keep you from getting a job. Just apply to the ones that interest you and I'm sure you will get hired. No need to be overly nervous or anxious about it. So give it a go, and good luck to you in your search.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:52 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,613 times
Quote:
What's the situation ?
The situation is, you need to get out and meet people. Then you'll know someone.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:09 PM

42 posts, read 136,010 times
Apply to everything that you think you can do, and do your best to fake confidence during the interview. And don't be too hard on yourself. Plenty people without SA are having a hard time finding jobs. It takes a good level of luck and timing to get that interview.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
I'm a natural health nut but there are times when a little bit of pharmaceutical will go a long way. When I took a piano playing job at my little church, my stage fright was awful so I went to a doc and got a light prescription of some anti-anxiety meds and that helped me immensely. I didn't take them often--just when I played piano in front of people or had to get up and speak--then I was able to let go of that crutch after awhile. If your anxiety is really bad, you might want to look into it. Get a light dose and take one at home nowhere near the time you have an interview, to get a feel for what it will do to your head. I did that with the pill they first gave me--xanax--and glad I did b/c it knocked me out--I'd have looked like a drunk if I showed up for a job interview like that, lol.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:32 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,602 times
Quote:

What's the situation ?
You sound like you'd make a great engineer.

You might be an engineer if you've ever tried to fix a $5 radio.

What do engineers use for birth control?

Spoiler
Their personalities.

When does someone decide to become an engineer?

Spoiler
When they realize they don't have enough charisma to become an undertaker.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:50 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,122 times
Quote:
Yes. There are many, many, many supers that would love to have an employee that isn't going to bother them. You're not socially anxious and anti-social, you're a task-focused professional.

Quote:
Those people remember you. They're being nice and trying to help you avoid what would be an uncomfortable situation for them. They're letting you know that they're happy to be friendly with you regardless of what school was like for either of you. Be nice back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search