Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:01 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times

Advertisements

I agree with what you did. Sometimes, you just have to be pragmatic.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:19 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Keep in mind the other person who didn't lie and didn't get the job that may be starving/getting evicted.
Like I said, I don't approve. But I'm not surprised people have begun resorting to such tactics.

Karma will get the OP.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:50 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I get it. Just because someone else acts like a scumbag that means I can too!

Thanks for clearing that up champ!
No it means leveling the playing field. If the rules for everyone else including employers is pretty much anything goes so long as it is not illegal (or in some cases is illegal), I'm not going to put myself at a disadvantage. I'm not going to be a sacrificial lamb, stick to my high ideals, and end up jobless and homeless. Sorry, the time for idealism has passed for me, time for a dose of pure undiluted pragmatism.

It is a sad commentary on our society, but we are living in sad times.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 PM

550 posts, read 1,355,358 times
I've seen this happen in lower level positions that don't require much training. I've seen people in healthcare do this. I've never seen anyone go far doing this though.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:43 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored and Silly View Post
Most places I applied for a job had me fill out a employment application which had a section asking for three people who they could contact and discuss my qualifications and experiences. This was not for the purposes of a verification of employment, but instead so the employer could find out about your previous work experiences and what type of employee you were.

Trouble is I just left a job of five years that I was fired from. They said I was a bad fit. I never went through any progressive discipline process of a warning and proformance improvement plan, one day they just fired me. I was blind sided! Now I have no professional references because my last employer told everyone not to respond to reference calls including my old bosses and coworkers.

So I had to move to plan b. That was getting three Google Voice Mail accounts and having myself, my wife and my brother have professional sounding messages acting like we were business people. So after a bit of interviewing I became a finalist for a job and they asked me if it was OK to call my professional references. So a Professional Background Check Company called me and my two other fake professional references and asked questions about me. My wife and brother using fake names, did great after being coached on what to say. I of course said wonderful things about myself using a fake name. We threw in a few development issues and small personal weaknesses to make it seem honest.

I got the job and my boss told me to thank my Professional References for getting back to the people who did the check so quickly. My employment was verified at my last three employers and as per my agreement with my last employer, they did not say I was fired.

Is honesty always the best policy. No, not in today's world!
You got the job! Good for you! Who cares if you lied. If your employer did a better reference check they would have caught it. Dumb-asses! I do not exately have 3 profersional references I want to list, I would have given my friends names in a heart beat.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored and Silly View Post
Most places I applied for a job had me fill out a employment application which had a section asking for three people who they could contact and discuss my qualifications and experiences. This was not for the purposes of a verification of employment, but instead so the employer could find out about your previous work experiences and what type of employee you were.

Trouble is I just left a job of five years that I was fired from. They said I was a bad fit. I never went through any progressive discipline process of a warning and proformance improvement plan, one day they just fired me. I was blind sided! Now I have no professional references because my last employer told everyone not to respond to reference calls including my old bosses and coworkers.

So I had to move to plan b. That was getting three Google Voice Mail accounts and having myself, my wife and my brother have professional sounding messages acting like we were business people. So after a bit of interviewing I became a finalist for a job and they asked me if it was OK to call my professional references. So a Professional Background Check Company called me and my two other fake professional references and asked questions about me. My wife and brother using fake names, did great after being coached on what to say. I of course said wonderful things about myself using a fake name. We threw in a few development issues and small personal weaknesses to make it seem honest.

I got the job and my boss told me to thank my Professional References for getting back to the people who did the check so quickly. My employment was verified at my last three employers and as per my agreement with my last employer, they did not say I was fired.

Is honesty always the best policy. No, not in today's world!
My good man, Karma is a *****. Getting a job by deceit WILL bite you in the butt eventually. Enjoy your job while you have it, because when your boss finds out (let's hope he doesn't read CD), you won't have it long.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-15-2010, 09:57 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My good man, Karma is a *****. Getting a job by deceit WILL bite you in the butt eventually. Enjoy your job while you have it, because when your boss finds out (let's hope he doesn't read CD), you won't have it long.

20yrsinBranson
Does it matters if he reads CD?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:08 PM

924 posts, read 2,229,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
20yrsinBranson
I've been meaning to ask this, but why do sign off every post with your handle name? It's rather odd.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:16 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
It's actually pretty pathetic. Not only the actual act of what you did, but to want to share it with other people. At the very least you would hope someone as least could recognize what they did was wrong and not want to flaunt it.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:54 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
Man, congrats. Most of these posts are nothing but negative nancys. Screw them all. Sure, you lied but you were extremely creative which is way more important than people realize.

So if he gets this job, they magically find out, and he gets fired...how is that worse than never getting the job.

You people need to get off your high horse and realize this world is filled lies. In all seriousness, this is the definition of a white collar lie. Its really if he is a good fit for the job or not if he gets it. As any employer called a reference on more than one occasion?

I've used family members and friends as professional references and several of my friends have done the same. You have to be half a retard to think people are 100% honest to get a job.

Grow the F up people. Step out of that bubble and walk outside to your closest downtown area, you may overhear profanity!!!

Run for the hills!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search