Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 08:21 AM

235 posts, read 465,475 times

Advertisements

I've applied to jobs where they require you to take a personality test and they don't tell you how to prepare for those tests as I've applied for several jobs and didn't hear back because I failed the personality test. Are there any tricks in taking these kinds of tests as I answer them honestly and truthfully so I'm not sure why I failed?

One question they asked when they in a job interview is what would you do if your friend stole something from the store what would you do? I replied with that if they do steal they are already caught on camera and can be arrested for theft. I would also report them to security and have them be followed as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 09:39 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammerman2003 View Post
I've applied to jobs where they require you to take a personality test and they don't tell you how to prepare for those tests as I've applied for several jobs and didn't hear back because I failed the personality test. Are there any tricks in taking these kinds of tests as I answer them honestly and truthfully so I'm not sure why I failed?

One question they asked when they in a job interview is what would you do if your friend stole something from the store what would you do? I replied with that if they do steal they are already caught on camera and can be arrested for theft. I would also report them to security and have them be followed as well.

I guess they were testing your honesty, and the right answer according to them would be not to turn your friend in to LP, because doing that, according to them, would be what most people would do.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:56 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammerman2003 View Post

I always take those tests with the thought in mind "how do they WANT me to answer it?". So far as I know, I have never failed the personality test, at least no one has told me that I have.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-20-2010, 11:22 AM

693 posts, read 1,502,385 times
I hate doing those test very time consuming when you're only applying for some part-time job at retail store with minimum wage. 30 to 40 minutes just to fill out an online application ugh so annoying. But you gotta do what you gotta do to get a job.

So when the are answers like strongly agree, agree, strongly disagree or disagree. Which is the better answer to say you strongly agree or agree? You don't just want to strongly agree or strongly disagree to everything do you? They probably don't want to see only agree or disagree either. Does it really matter which one you choose? They will ask all sorts of different questions then repeat multiples times asked in a different way. You have to read each question carefully cause they will try to trick you.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:17 PM

100 posts, read 291,643 times
I am concerned also about the "strongly agree" vs "agree."
I started thinking they would knock my score if I said I "strongly agree" with anything !
Like I would be too extreme or something.
Anyone know about these tests from the inside?
Please?

Old 11-20-2010, 06:19 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
lol personality tests are too weird! It doesn't take into account your mood or the current atmosphere after you take the test. It's all hypothetical. And if you desperately want the job you are going to put down what you think the employer wants to hear.

The most accurate way to utilize a personality test would be to have a person take it one month. The following month have them take it again. Then if you hire them. Make them take the test about 3-6 months into the probationary period.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:20 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
May I ask what kinds of companies do these kinds of test? I have never seen one, it sounds like you are taking a survey.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:23 PM

It depends on the employer. They probably don't want anyone strong-willed. They want submissive and subservient people at most places of business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilady View Post
I am concerned also about the "strongly agree" vs "agree."
I started thinking they would knock my score if I said I "strongly agree" with anything !
Like I would be too extreme or something.
Anyone know about these tests from the inside?
Please?

Old 11-20-2010, 06:37 PM

693 posts, read 1,502,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
May I ask what kinds of companies do these kinds of test? I have never seen one, it sounds like you are taking a survey.
Macy's, Walgreens, Petsmart, Target, basically any type of retail minimum wage job

It is like a survey to get the job. If you don't answer the questions a certain way you're mostly liking not going to get picked. Then again it could be the economy and they get so many applications they can't choose everybody. They probably pick the ones with best answers to what their looking for.

I filled out one for Macy's back in like 09 they never called back me. I applied again just recently for a seasonal job and it wouldn't let me take the test. It said something like your answers are not likely to change. This time I got a call back. I did bad on my interview since I haven't been to one in a while. I really need to practice on my interview skills. It is all about the interview nowadays it seems.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:29 PM

How can you do bad on an interview?

-Read up on the corporation, job description, and mission statement.
-Show up on time and with a smile.
-Dress nice.
-Smile at everyone.
-Be polite and patient with everyone.
-Answer the interviewer's questions.
-Ask a few questions.
-Shake hands and leave with a smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search