Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:13 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,525,457 times

Advertisements

Most companies not much is goign on towards the end of the year. Usually people are trying to burn through vacation time they can't roll over, lots of holiday time off, wanna clear the books before the new year.

I actually did get a job early november a few years back but didn't start until like Jan 3 so was still sitting around for months waiting to start.

Some people say people slow down looking so less competition, this may be true but theres way less hiring as well so kind of evens itself out yoru not going to have a ton of luck most likely. That said if your not working its not like you have anything better to do than continue to hunt for work so may as well continue searching and hope for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 08:40 PM

42 posts, read 135,988 times
I don't think any company institutes a hiring freeze just because of the holidays. Things might go a bit slower, with people taking vacations and such.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:40 PM

499 posts, read 1,527,992 times
Two interviews this Wednesday and one on Thursday!
All in manufacturing BTW!

Last edited by roncorey1; 11-29-2010 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-29-2010, 01:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Actually the smart people are looking right now. I was hired twice in December for jobs that started in January. Both were very good paying jobs.

The mindset was both times that they wanted to complete the hiring process prior to Christmas and have someone start after the first of the year.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:04 PM

935 posts, read 2,410,720 times
I know UPS and retail stores are hiring for the holidays, though they might lay-off people once the holiday season ends. I think quite a few people take a break during the holidays when it comes to searching for a job. Hiring might slow down in some areas, such as offices, but I think right now would be a good time to at least try while everything else is slowing down. Even if they are not hiring right now, you will at least have your resume available before everyone else starts sending theirs in near the beginning of January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search