Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:55 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,807 times

Advertisements

That is rich you pay for the privilege to work for free. I mean if their going to start counting only full time paid work. Then why would anyone ever take unpaid internship? And I say this as an unpaid intern. Why even take part time work in the field you want to work? You might as well go tend bar at least then you could pay some bills. Internships are becoming the new entry level job only but their no pay. Kids are working 2 or 3 sometimes more internships over a number of years. Business has eliminated the entry level jobs. By technology or sent them to India or China use interns part time or temps. The jobs are gone one way or the other. And their not coming back it is the way of the future. Business understands now good times or bad their will always be interns. Million college grad a year that is alot of free labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
That is rich you pay for the privilege to work for free. I mean if their going to start counting only full time paid work. Then why would anyone ever take unpaid internship? And I say this as an unpaid intern. Why even take part time work in the field you want to work? You might as well go tend bar at least then you could pay some bills. Internships are becoming the new entry level job only but their no pay. Kids are working 2 or 3 sometimes more internships over a number of years. Business has eliminated the entry level jobs. By technology or sent them to India or China use interns part time or temps. The jobs are gone one way or the other. And their not coming back it is the way of the future. Business understands now good times or bad their will always be interns. Million college grad a year that is alot of free labor.
What happened in my situation was my undergrad told me they would fund my internship. Then, when I was accepted they backed out, but they said to me, "Maybe you should as your graduate school if they will fund your internship." I did and they said, "No. Actually, you are required to pay US $2,000 so we will count your internship as a college credit." Unfortunately, I never did the internship b/c I could not find a full-time job to cover for living expenses. Also, I ended up going to a state university instead of the first-tier school for the same reason.

If too many college graduates end up being "overqualified" I think people will stop going to college. One of my younger cousins keeps asking me why she should go to college if she will end up being overqualified. For a while, my brother was telling me that my degree was a waste of money b/c I was out of work while he worked in fast food. I eventually found a decent part-time job and now he's going to community college, but I'm starting to wonder if the even younger generation is going to see college as a scam or worthless.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:27 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,198 times
That's not bad at all lol, I've seen ads for entry level positions where the employers wanted 10+ years of experience.

Personally, I think legislation should be passed that states that employers can be sued or barred from requiring experience, because it's discriminatory.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:23 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It's sometimes a good idea to IGNORE the "x years of experience" factor and try to get an interview. That may not work with the electronic resume/job apps (does anyone EVER get a response from those??). But if you get a chance to talk to someone in person it often doesn't matter. If they like you I mean. Think of job requirements as "wish lists", and go from there.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:42 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Isn't that a frustrating situation?! I'm having the same issue with one area in my field, which happens to where I'd most want to work... the academic/college libraries. EVERY single ad I see for college librarians states "must have at least 2-3 years of academic library experience," so how do I get that experience? Seriously, I'm quite perplexed by that catch-22.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:09 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's sometimes a good idea to IGNORE the "x years of experience" factor and try to get an interview. That may not work with the electronic resume/job apps (does anyone EVER get a response from those??). But if you get a chance to talk to someone in person it often doesn't matter. If they like you I mean. Think of job requirements as "wish lists", and go from there.
Thats the catch. It seems companies are doing all they can to make sure you cant talk to someone in person...

Old 12-09-2010, 05:46 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
This has to be the 25th time this idiotic ad has been posted.

Receptionist with property mgt. experience (http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ofc/2098133600.html - broken link)

How can you expect someone with property management experience for an entry level position? It's a 1099 at that!!! This is why you can't find anyone to fill the position genius!!!

My god, if only we could send these people to Mars. I PRAY this employer one day ends up in the unemployment line, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Where does it state in that ad that the position is entry level? Or are you deriving that from the fact that its a receptionist position? I'm not seeing the "contradiction" as your pointing out. i.e. if they posted the ad as "Entry level admin assistant", then later on point out that you'd need 2 years, etc.... I'd see your argument. But it seem they're NOT looking for entry level candidates - rather, they're looking for someone with a minimum two years of specific, related experience.

Not saying its a well written ad - receptionist ≠ admin assistant (not always at least) - but nonetheless, the person doing the hiring can apply whatever requirements/credentials they want as long as its legal. Their success in filling that position will be affected by that baseline, but its still their right to put whatever they're looking for down.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:29 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Smile oh so right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
They know very well what entry level means. Just a way to try and get experienced people dirt cheap.
Exactly right Beach.guy. I enjoy replying to these ads with...'I possess all the skills and experience you are seeking. However, I require a minimum of $27.00 per hour, are you interested in setting an interview"....LOLOL...never heard back from any of them. They're morons... but you are so right.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:57 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Where does it state in that ad that the position is entry level? Or are you deriving that from the fact that its a receptionist position? I'm not seeing the "contradiction" as your pointing out. i.e. if they posted the ad as "Entry level admin assistant", then later on point out that you'd need 2 years, etc.... I'd see your argument. But it seem they're NOT looking for entry level candidates - rather, they're looking for someone with a minimum two years of specific, related experience.

Not saying its a well written ad - receptionist ≠ admin assistant (not always at least) - but nonetheless, the person doing the hiring can apply whatever requirements/credentials they want as long as its legal. Their success in filling that position will be affected by that baseline, but its still their right to put whatever they're looking for down.
Compensation: Entry level position

Old 12-09-2010, 07:02 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Where does it state in that ad that the position is entry level?
Right next to compensation it says as clear as day "ENTRY LEVEL POSITION." I even took the initiative to bold it and underline it just in case "your type" came around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search