Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 04:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
these days there would be a line of people fighting for that job!
Well if they are fighting for that job I hope they already have a part-time job because 8.50 an hour is not going to get it done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 04:31 PM

29,701 posts, read 24,780,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well if they are fighting for that job I hope they already have a part-time job because 8.50 an hour is not going to get it done
Than you starve. Get it yet? They offer $8.50 an hour because someone who is more down on their luck than you will take it.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:36 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Than you starve. Get it yet? They offer $8.50 an hour because someone who is more down on their luck than you will take it.
I will be starving with $8.50 an hour-lol

Old 08-21-2011, 08:48 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,216,261 times
If I were desperate enough to take such a job with hard to find quals I would work as hard as I was being paid, if they required highly professional certs and low balled the offer but I had to take it I would not work very hard and would bank the money, if I could gain a unique experience or additonal cert I may work harder to stick around but once I had what I wanted I would stop working hard until I was counseled then would start looking for a new job before I was let go.

These companys that practice these unscrupulus buisness practices will ultimatly cost them more in the long run because they will end up dealing with high turn over and ex employees that know how their buisness is ran potentially working for competitors.

Also these companies need to be careful if the American people completely gut the gov we could see nazi like policies against unscrupulous business practices. The american people are pacifiied now.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:26 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,350,441 times
As the government cuts its size and lays off employees's, then the private sector will gain more workers further pushing down wages.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,346 posts, read 80,658,912 times
If the economy improves and companies start making money again they will be forced to pay more or lose their employees, as happened in the 90s. That old law of supply and demand works for almost everything (except gas prices).

Back to the original topic, it's entry level, not trainee. We have an opening coming up that's entry level and requires two years experience.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:46 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,266,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
This has to be the 25th time this idiotic ad has been posted.

Receptionist with property mgt. experience (http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ofc/2098133600.html - broken link)

How can you expect someone with property management experience for an entry level position? It's a 1099 at that!!! This is why you can't find anyone to fill the position genius!!!

My god, if only we could send these people to Mars. I PRAY this employer one day ends up in the unemployment line, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Good post. Experienced and entry level are two different things. Clueless as to why employers would ask for something ridiculous like 5 years of experience, two in a management or leadership position, and 3 as CEO of Trump International.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:45 AM

7,641 posts, read 18,085,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
Wow, some of these positions that you listed are quite perplexing. I mean, how in the world can a Database Administrator also do the work of a receptionist? Companies are starting to care more about money and less about how well the job is done. There are some jobs out there which require less work to do, so upper management can pile on the work load and combine job titles. However, they have to be careful about which titles they compile together or else you will have overworked employees who would rather deal with the job market than work for the company. I have two friend who quit their jobs because their bosses gave them the workload of 2-3 other people due to lay offs. One ended up finding another job at a hospital while another one is sort of self-employed in a field which some on here would find to be "taboo" even though it's not illegal.
Perhaps by "database administrator" they really just mean somebody who enters data into a database. Some human resource personnel use the most ridiculous terms to describe simple tasks. They pick a job title that they've heard somewhere that "sounds" right, but is actually completely different, and put it in their job posting anyway.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:12 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,906,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Perhaps by "database administrator" they really just mean somebody who enters data into a database. Some human resource personnel use the most ridiculous terms to describe simple tasks. They pick a job title that they've heard somewhere that "sounds" right, but is actually completely different, and put it in their job posting anyway.
Because most HR people are complete tools.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 PM

29,701 posts, read 24,780,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Back to the original topic, it's entry level, not trainee. We have an opening coming up that's entry level and requires two years experience.
Of how about jobs that ask for 10+ years experience... And they wanna pay peanuts... I'm assuming that after no one applies or qualifies, they whine to the government to allow more H1-B workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Because most HR people are complete tools.
Agreed. I had an HR manager trying to hire me for a job they couldn't even describe. It sounded as if I was interviewing HER on the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search