Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:56 AM

943 posts, read 3,161,717 times

Advertisements

As a professional recruiter for a large Fortune 500 Company, I have really seen a change in the applicants during the last six months. People before the economy got bad were a bit more coy when they interviewed for a job, now many people come across as just plain desperate.

I have heard a number of real horror stories, and some applicants have got to the point of begging for a job. They tell me that they can not catch a break and tell me stories about how they have interviewed all over town and just can not get hired.

I listen politely to the people who are begging and quickly end the interview. Why? Because by appearing so desperate the applicant loses his/her marketability. I have to assume that even in today's terrible economy that if the person was good they would have had better luck at the other places they interviewed. I assume that if they have been reduced to a beggar then they do not have much confidence in themselves and are not all that good.

It is a bit like High School, if a guy begged a girl for a date, she would not be interested, if he gave the impression he was popular with the girls and had many options she would be interested.

The best applicants appear like they have highly sought after even in today's bad job market. Even if the applicant have to give the hiring manager or recruiter a white lie, act like you are in demand or you will be unemployed for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 12:04 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,129,340 times
"QUOTE FOR THE DAY"

"EXUDE CONFIDENCE AND PEOPLE WILL LIKE YOU AND WANT TO HIRE YOU"

MY MOTHER'S FAVORITE "TREAT OTHERS AS YOU WOULD WISH TO BE TREATED"

MY FATHER'S FAVORITE "IF THEY KICK YOU, KICK THEM BACK"

hope this helps

Old 04-19-2009, 12:11 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
weekend traveler a little clue here , people are desperate these days they are one step away from losing their home and their lives . I feel sorry for you that you have no compassion for people these days and maybe you come across people every day that have the same story ,but it is true people are desperate and dont want to be homeless . I hope you never lose your job and become one of those desperate people that you are talking about and remember one thing . You could loose your job at any given point and become desperate as well .Maybe the reason they feel desperate is because every interview they hear the same thing over and over again . Do you have any idea how depressing that is ? I think maybe you should re think your views of people you are interviewing . PLEASE dont misunderstand I am not attacking you but asking you to please use a little more compassion when speaking of people this way . You dont know what they have been through .

Old 04-19-2009, 12:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
weekend traveler a little clue here , people are desperate these days they are one step away from losing their home and their lives . I feel sorry for you that you have no compassion for people these days and maybe you come across people every day that have the same story ,but it is true people are desperate and dont want to be homeless . I hope you never lose your job and become one of those desperate people that you are talking about and remember one thing . You could loose your job at any given point and become desperate as well .Maybe the reason they feel desperate is because every interview they hear the same thing over and over again . Do you have any idea how depressing that is ? I think maybe you should re think your views of people you are interviewing . PLEASE dont misunderstand I am not attacking you but asking you to please use a little more compassion when speaking of people this way . You dont know what they have been through .

Even if they are about to lose their house, employers don't care nothing about that. The person still have to express why the compsny will benefit from hiring them and maintain a confident demeanor. Not get in there and start begging because it's not the employer's problem that you are aboiut to lose your home.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:49 PM

710 posts, read 1,962,256 times
I think he is giving some valuable advice here. I also think there is a good chance at least one person who frequents this forum could benefit from it. I get the feeling he is actually trying to help.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:51 PM

710 posts, read 1,962,256 times
Yup, TV&SG has it 100% right.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:24 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
I have to agree, appearing desperate is nto a good way to get hired. Even if you are desperate, you've got to hide that fact and appear confident and at ease with the interviewer.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:48 PM

560 posts, read 1,549,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
As a professional recruiter for a large Fortune 500 Company, I have really seen a change in the applicants during the last six months. People before the economy got bad were a bit more coy when they interviewed for a job, now many people come across as just plain desperate.

I have heard a number of real horror stories, and some applicants have got to the point of begging for a job. They tell me that they can not catch a break and tell me stories about how they have interviewed all over town and just can not get hired.

I listen politely to the people who are begging and quickly end the interview. Why? Because by appearing so desperate the applicant loses his/her marketability. I have to assume that even in today's terrible economy that if the person was good they would have had better luck at the other places they interviewed. I assume that if they have been reduced to a beggar then they do not have much confidence in themselves and are not all that good.

It is a bit like High School, if a guy begged a girl for a date, she would not be interested, if he gave the impression he was popular with the girls and had many options she would be interested.

The best applicants appear like they have highly sought after even in today's bad job market. Even if the applicant have to give the hiring manager or recruiter a white lie, act like you are in demand or you will be unemployed for a long time.

Best advice ever! I hope people are reading his advice and finally understand why they are not getting the job (or anything they want). Confidence is by far the best thing anyone can bring to a job interview. Confidence is very attractive, we should all try to carry it with us at all times. Like TV&sportsguy said, what (or why) we are desperate is not the employer's concern! For all he knows, we've lived our lives responsibly and within our means and we just got laid off.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:00 PM

173 posts, read 968,282 times
I think desperation falls into place during salary negotiations.
But otherwise, I don't think people are that desperate.
But that is why they say you are in a far better position when you are employed than when you are not.
When you are employed you have little to lose, as opposed to when you are unemployed and in the current situation of seeing very little in sight.

A tip, but don't forget to tell the interviewer that you definitely want the position.
Don't make assumption or believe that you have eluded to this fact!
"I want this position", even as opposed to saying "I am interested in this position."

Old 04-19-2009, 02:10 PM

943 posts, read 3,161,717 times
Default I have been desperate, broke and almost suicidal after a job loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
weekend traveler a little clue here , people are desperate these days they are one step away from losing their home and their lives . I feel sorry for you that you have no compassion for people these days and maybe you come across people every day that have the same story ,but it is true people are desperate and don't want to be homeless . I hope you never lose your job and become one of those desperate people that you are talking about and remember one thing . You could loose your job at any given point and become desperate as well .Maybe the reason they feel desperate is because every interview they hear the same thing over and over again . Do you have any idea how depressing that is ? I think maybe you should re think your views of people you are interviewing . PLEASE dont misunderstand I am not attacking you but asking you to please use a little more compassion when speaking of people this way . You dont know what they have been through .
You misunderstand my post. I very much understand the desperation of today's time and the impact high unemployment is having on America. I have been unemployed numerous times and came close to suicide after 9 months of unemployment and thin soup due to financial despair.

I did exactly what the disappointed applicants are doing now, I begged for a job. They felt sorry for me on a personal basis but not on a professional basis. I did not get a job until I was able to sell my self as someone they wanted to hire because I would help the company, and not expect the company to help me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search