Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 08:03 PM

172 posts, read 417,723 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking to change careers, I'm fortunate enough to not have many bills at the moment, so I can take a pay cut. I'm not having luck applying to entry level jobs, I'm thinking temp agencies to help me get a foot in the door and give me different views on jobs.

The problem is, my resume is pretty clean and not many short term jobs, most of which I've held for a few years.

I'm afraid if I spend the next two years temping, I might jump around to a bunch of different jobs and different temp agencies.

I'm afraid I'll scatter my resume up, does anyone have advice for me. Even if I list each temp company and not the specific jobs, 3 or 4 different agencies on there might throw my long term jobs down to the bottom (if I can fit them on my resume).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 08:07 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,330,830 times
I used to work for agencies for my tech writing/admin and what you need to do is to find a good agency and try to work for them for at least 2-3 years unless you get a perm job. That way your resume will show 1 company (the agency) and you can outline your assignments that you had for them.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:10 PM

172 posts, read 417,723 times
Hopefully I can. I live in NYC and there are a TON to choose from, I would like to find one consistent agency.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:24 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,457,656 times
I've been temping for 8 years now with one agency for close to 6 years. I haven't had any trouble finding a temp job.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,521,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I used to work for agencies for my tech writing/admin and what you need to do is to find a good agency and try to work for them for at least 2-3 years unless you get a perm job. That way your resume will show 1 company (the agency) and you can outline your assignments that you had for them.
I agree. It looks much better if you're working with one agency as opposed to multiple agencies.

You could list the agency and after that the various companies(if they're long term assignments) and your job duties.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:56 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,457,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I agree. It looks much better if you're working with one agency as opposed to multiple agencies.

You could list the agency and after that the various companies(if they're long term assignments) and your job duties.
That's what I do and it looks better on my resume so it doesn't look like I jump from job to job.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:26 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,703,292 times
I have many temp jobs from many agencies and recruiters still tell me I have a good enough resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search