Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:52 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,676,889 times

Advertisements

You may want to work in the point of view that if it were that easy to find a job, people who earn a living developing relationships with hiring managers would be calling me and asking me to go to work instead of me having to look for work on my own without getting paid to develop those relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,684 times
Well I searched for this question because I have been asked it now in no less thatn three interviews in the last 2 months. I have been a hiring manager and would never ask someone "So why do you think you haven't been hired yet?". It is a hateful question, I generally have said things like the market is still tough, or I think age is a factor as I am late 40s, or I really dont know but I do not know how to answer this one, I do not know why I keep getting passed over, it cant be from lack of experience, and as another wrote, it really does make you feel worthless or like there is some hidden meaning to asking this. And I think its sort of a kiss of death question, sort of like the statement "well were just starting the process, so and so should get back to you"
I would love to say thata a stupid fricken question, get up and leave, but I know that would not help, the situation

Old 02-16-2011, 10:19 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,632,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
In this Great Recession the employers who are certified crap really let their true colors show!!They are doing it by asking inappropriate questions, advertising $7.00/hr jobs that require an overqualified genius with a Ph.D., making the candidate feel inadequate by making subtle insinuations like that question we are discussing, and other things. Are they for real? These overworked horses will leave as soon as they get a better offer; and believe, they will be looking hard. For those on their high horse, I seriously hope they take ONE GREAT HIT in this Recession. It's amazing how they think they are untouchable, holier that thou and that their businesses will never tank.
Speaking of what is in bold, I know of several that have already been tanked and still more others that are now unemployed themselves.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM

18,461 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I agree with Nightcrawler. lol.Hysterical but so true.Only an a**hole would ask that question. When they look at the resume, they can see the person has not been employed for whatever time. If they have such major issues with that, then why bother calling in that person for an interview? Ask the stupid question over the phone. The candidate spends time and money getting to the interview only to be made to feel like a loser. It's like kicking a horse that's already down. Is that really necessary? I guess it makes the employer feel better by putting someone else down - I think it's an "ego" question. Because seriously, how are you supposed to answer that: "Yea, I screwed around for 2 years and what?" Even if someone did theoretically "screw around" is that person really going to say that? Is that what the employer wants to hear? Who is dumb enough to answer like that?
Thank you.

also another favorite is when the interviewer asks: So tell me, what do you see yourself doing in the next 5 years......??

your kidding right: ???

ummm, hopefully laying on a beach with a freaking "pina colada" in my hand and a cute little native boy asking if he can re-fill my glass and take my lunch order....yeah, that's what I see myself in the next 5 years.

not sitting behind a desk getting asked these retarded questions....

Sorry for the rant, but I have been an office worker since the industrial revolution, and am just not feeling it anymore !!!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,632,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
I was unemployed after college for several months and I had a HR 'screener' at a bank ask me that. I said "I've been looking for the right opportunity, with the economy the way it is, it is competitive out there" and the interviewer said something like "Well, I would think in a few months you could get a job, what have you really been doing?"

I was appalled and almost asked to speak to her supervisor but I just concluded I never wanted to work anywhere like that where people are so out of touch with reality and rude.
Yeah the tone of that question was way out of line. It seems that no matter what you would have said, that person was going to try and hassle you about it.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 AM

18,461 posts, read 31,613,667 times
It is funny how by not working for a certain amount of time it is as if it is "criminal". Ok, so the right job didn't come along, it happens..

For the OP, yes I agree, I am not doing volunteer work, it doesn't pay my rent and feed my family. Sorry.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:21 PM

77 posts, read 171,409 times
I don't know how they were hired to interview candidates when they lack common sense. I remember when I first had my daughter and stayed home the first three years. During an interview, I was asked why did I take time off and I said I was home raising my child. The HR fugazy ***** had the gall to ask "why was she ill". What a callous cookie.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:32 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,765,902 times
This is a WT troll thread that was bumped

Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored and Unemployed View Post
I live in a large metro area (Denver) where there are suppose to be jobs. I have sent out countless resumes and have gone to a dozen interviews and still am unemployed. I always thought I looked very atttractive and professional and communicated well. I have revised my resume countless time and worked with a couselor at the Job Service who helped me too. I just can not get hired. The competition is just to great. And being older does not help either.

I an a member of a support group of other middle aged unemployed people and they say that the question what have you been doing every day since you lost your job nearly two years ago is a very common question. Most employers understand that the job situation is lousy but stiil believe that good candidates can find a job within 6 months. If you have not found something by then you are a loser in their eyes. (Their opinion not mine)
As a recruiter, I am going to tell you the hard cold facts. It doesn't matter what profession you are in. I have recruited candidates (doctors, nurses, etc) in the health care field as well as restaurant and retail managers. There IS age discrimination no matter how much the employer denies it.

Also, if the person has been out of work for more than 6 months, their chances of getting hired get lower and lower as each month passes. Once they reach the 18 month-2 year mark, NONE of my clients are even interested in talking to these candidates. (Even if there was very good reasons why they were out of work!).

It's frustrating, I don't like it. I don't agree with it. But it is what it is. Here is what you can do:

Now is your chance to go back to school. Finish a degree, pursue a passion, volunteer your time to a local organization. Go to business networking meetings (BNI), get signed up on linkedin (HUGE online business networking group), become a substitute teacher, become a virtual recruiter, invest in your own business, STAY active. Are you willing to relocate? Get certified in "xyz."

What has your line in work been? Please send me a copy of your resume and I will gladly look it over for you. I can see what jobs other recruiters have in your area....julie@newworldstaffing.org

Old 02-16-2011, 05:49 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,035 times
I had a recruiter enthusiastically contact me for 3 Caterpiller jobs. Then they asked me what I have been doing since unemployed from Aug 15, 2008. I said I brushed up and self studied job skills and that I'm currently developing websites that will make money through Google Adsense. They so far have not responded back to me.

If you've been unemployed more than 2 years it's not worth it going for another degree to change your career. If companies or recruiters will deny you a job for being unemployed too long then it's better to lie on your resume that you were employed recently or did freelance work. I was unemployed 4.5 years due to no one hiring me because of probation. I made up that I worked a lot of time those years for my brother's computer company [which he did have].

Volunteer work is a waste of time and it wouldn't make you a better candidate. You need your time to look for jobs and to improve your job skills and to put food on the table.

For those recruiters that dismiss me for being unemployed too long - I exact revenge on them when I get back to work; I wouldn't use this recruiter to hire people from and I'd tell my coworkers not to use them either.

Last edited by Jesse69; 02-16-2011 at 05:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search