Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I think the point is when you look at a resume you can see there is a gap in employment.

Why waste your time and theirs if it is an issue.

Don't schedule the interview and save everyone some grief.
Actually, if I see a CV and think an applicant may be well-qualified for the job, a gap in employment history is not an automatic deal breaker; it would be something I would ask about during an interview, but I would not toss them out based on that alone. I have interviewed several people in the past who had employment gaps that I did eventually recommend for hire because their reasons for such gaps were valid and I did not see them as negatively affecting their ability to do the job.

Now, let's say I am interviewing two candidates, both of whom are equally qualified, both have been laid off for the past year. I ask both what they have been doing in the past year. Candidate A says, "I have been looking for a job." That's it. Candidate B states the same, but also tells me they went and took a class or two during that time to learn or brush up on some relevant skills, or have been working independently to do the same. Also, they say they have been keeping tabs on the industry and can speak to some of the current trends in our field. Which one is going to then take a lead over the other from my perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:32 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Employers seem to expect the unemployed to take countless classes. We don't have the money for that!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:49 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
It doesn't take endless money,NYChistorygal, even a community college course for someone already with a more advanced degree shows E-F-F-O-R-T. What the question truly means is "Have you been waiting for 2 years, putting forth just the minimal effort required to continue collecting, as opposed to using the 2 years productively.

One thing the OP should look into (and I did not read 6 pgs of comments, so if a repeat, sorry) is volunteering, perhaps at a hospital. Or doing a free trial/minimum wage (if employer reticent to take a freebie) internship for a few weeks..a cheap test drive, so to speak.

Point, click, send resume, even send cover letter, is NEVER enough. Its so easy to do, thus employers are swamped with such meager efforts.

When you are at an interview, the question you are answering is not why you are capable of doing the job. It is why no one else can perform at that job at a level comparable to you. Of perhaps 30 interviewed, and perhaps 300 resumes submitted, why 29 interviewed and 270 others cannot equal what you bring to the table.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:54 PM

"Originally Posted by Mystique13
Getting involved with the community or "volunteering" doesn't pay the rent or put food on the table. They will use you for free work and then what, they're going to give you a paying job? C'mon."

If you do a terrific job, yes. I have a sibling who just voluntarily quit a position at a hospital (he is moving out of state): he was HIRED with benefits offered (he didn't need them) after a few years p/t volunteering at the same position.

If one is unemployed (and bored), and they are not giving up paid work time anyway to volunteer, there is no extra cost, and even if not hired, they can work on getting a great refernce.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 PM

bobbypin, Check out Sioux Falls, SD, very low unemployment rate. You might also check out Williamson County, Tn (south of Nashville.6.5 percent rate and dropping fast, lots of corp hq including Nissan), and Chattanooga, where a new VW plant being built is bringing along several thousand supplier jobs on site, and at least that many, within 50 miles.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:56 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Employers seem to expect the unemployed to take countless classes. We don't have the money for that!
Pushing aside your "us vs. them" mentality (which is useless and unproductive) I think the issue is less one of "taking countless classes" and rather one of - if you have not been able to land a job, what can you do to make yourself more competitive? One thing anyone can do is develop new skills or improve upon existing ones. There are a number of ways to do that. Taking formal classes is one. If that is not an option for some reason, try to find other ways to go about it.

Here is one example (I am picking this completely at random) - say you have been applying to jobs that you are not getting and many want someone who is proficient in, say, MS Project - a skill you do not have. A good tactic in your job search would be to develop that skill. If you can't afford a class - get a copy of the software (if you don't have it and can't afford it, I'm sure a 15 minute search of the internet will help you find a "free" copy). Then get a few books (the library is free) and look up some internet resources about that software. Teach yourself how to use it backwards and forwards. And then you can put on your resume that you are proficient in MS Project. And in an interview, you can discuss your knowledge of that software. And you now have made yourself a stronger candidate.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:11 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored and Unemployed View Post
After losing my job as an Office Manager after corporate cutbacks at the start of the Great Recession I have devoted 10 hours a day to finding a new job. Thank God for unemployment insurance and savings. With a combination of savings, odd jobs and unemployment I have been able to satisfy my basic needs and not stay up at night worrying about money.

Now the unemployment is running out and I still do not have a job. I have applied at thousands of places and and sent out countless resumes, all went into a black hole. On occasion though I will get an interview and the first thing they always ask me after I sit down is what have I been doing for the last two years. I tell them I have applied at over a thousand employers and have not had any luck at finding a new job. They seem impressed with my effort but wonder why I have not been successful. A common reply is, "yes, I know how tough it is out there but I can't believe that after all that effort you have not landed something by now." Translation: they think something is wrong with me and I am rejected once again.

So what should I say to a potential employer who asks what I have been doing for the last two years?

Say I lot of people in my position, including myself are wondering the same thing??

Old 02-23-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Pushing aside your "us vs. them" mentality (which is useless and unproductive) I think the issue is less one of "taking countless classes" and rather one of - if you have not been able to land a job, what can you do to make yourself more competitive? One thing anyone can do is develop new skills or improve upon existing ones. There are a number of ways to do that. Taking formal classes is one. If that is not an option for some reason, try to find other ways to go about it.

Here is one example (I am picking this completely at random) - say you have been applying to jobs that you are not getting and many want someone who is proficient in, say, MS Project - a skill you do not have. A good tactic in your job search would be to develop that skill. If you can't afford a class - get a copy of the software (if you don't have it and can't afford it, I'm sure a 15 minute search of the internet will help you find a "free" copy). Then get a few books (the library is free) and look up some internet resources about that software. Teach yourself how to use it backwards and forwards. And then you can put on your resume that you are proficient in MS Project. And in an interview, you can discuss your knowledge of that software. And you now have made yourself a stronger candidate.
Fortunately, I know my programs well already, and practice them to keep updated. (I'm an Admin Assistant). There are a few programs I'd like to learn, but haven't found useful 'free' downloads. (they are usually less than the basics, just to get you interested, but not enough to actually use). Even community college costs money, that I simply don't have.

There's also the problem we have of trying to figure WHAT to study, if we can find the funds. Medical in my area is locked up; nursing, radiology, EMS, etc. Hospitals here are going broke and have stopped hiring. Businees? Social services? It's driving me crazy.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Say I lot of people in my position, including myself are wondering the same thing??
It's quite simple, really. There aren't enough jobs to go around.

I've been on interviews where the interviewer told me they received hundreds of resumes (one told me 700). Most places interview 6-20 people. It can be very hard to compete. If one person is willing to take $1,000 less a year, or looks like his daughter, or something equally silly, I'm screwed. It's very, very tough.

Then there's the bait and switch. I took a holiday retail job and was told I would go to full-time permanent after the new year. Several other people were told the same thing. Lie. We are lucky to get 20 hours a week. Can't live on that. I'm hoping to get another part-time until I can get a full-time. This is no way for an educated, hard working person to live.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
As a recruiter, I am going to tell you the hard cold facts. It doesn't matter what profession you are in. I have recruited candidates (doctors, nurses, etc) in the health care field as well as restaurant and retail managers. There IS age discrimination no matter how much the employer denies it.

Also, if the person has been out of work for more than 6 months, their chances of getting hired get lower and lower as each month passes. Once they reach the 18 month-2 year mark, NONE of my clients are even interested in talking to these candidates. (Even if there was very good reasons why they were out of work!).

It's frustrating, I don't like it. I don't agree with it. But it is what it is. Here is what you can do:

Now is your chance to go back to school. Finish a degree, pursue a passion, volunteer your time to a local organization. Go to business networking meetings (BNI), get signed up on linkedin (HUGE online business networking group), become a substitute teacher, become a virtual recruiter, invest in your own business, STAY active. Are you willing to relocate? Get certified in "xyz."

What has your line in work been? Please send me a copy of your resume and I will gladly look it over for you. I can see what jobs other recruiters have in your area....julie@newworldstaffing.org
What a nice offer! Rep points for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search